computer room listening.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just thought I'd post my current computer room (and guest bedroom) listening spot.

PC. Trends Audio USB DAC UD-10 (Not used as aa DAC (its rubbish), but its pretty good supplying the Beresford with a nice clean signal from the PC.

DVD player...Sony DVP NS76H (Used as a CD player, through the Beresford is as good as any other transport)
Amp Arcam A80, and Arcam Alpha 7R.(Whatever anyone says about Alpha series and Diva series, the A80 outperforms the 7R in every aspect, and by a large margin...The 7R is just waiting to get used somewhere else)
Speakers...heh. GALE Gold monitors... Excellent in context...!
Headphones...My HD595s, through the Trends and Beresford... sweet. sweet. sweet.
The CD on top of the DVD player... Morcheeba - Big Calm.
The beer... ABro, Arton 56

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Just thought I'd post my current computer room (and guest bedroom) listening spot.

PC. Trends Audio USB DAC UD-10 (Not used as aa DAC (its rubbish), but its pretty good supplying the Beresford with a nice clean signal from the PC.

DVD player...Sony DVP NS76H (Used as a CD player, through the Beresford is as good as any other transport)
Amp Arcam A80, and Arcam Alpha 7R.(Whatever anyone says about Alpha series and Diva series, the A80 outperforms the 7R in every aspect, and by a large margin...The 7R is just waiting to get used somewhere else)
Headphones...My HD595s, through the Trends and Beresford... sweet. sweet. sweet.

Hmmm, new speakers needed methinks.

I agree with you on the DIVA, my current stuff wipes the floor with my old alpha 7 CD, 7 amp and 8 tuner. Really wipes the floor bigtime.

I got my dad an alpha 6, played through my old Pioneer A-400 which at one stage I thought sounded decent, but when I go back there these days it sounds like a midi system compared to what I;m now used to.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Am I the only slob on this forum or does everyone tidy up before they take their photos?

Nice setup. Monitor a bit small? Box up them CDs and bung them in the loft?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:fr0g:Just thought I'd post my current computer room (and guest bedroom) listening spot.

I agree with you on the DIVA, my current stuff wipes the floor with my old alpha 7 CD, 7 amp and 8 tuner. Really wipes the floor bigtime.

I got my dad an alpha 6, played through my old Pioneer A-400 which at one stage I thought sounded decent, but when I go back there these days it sounds like a midi system compared to what I;m now used to.

The speakers are not used for critical listening. The headphones are where its at here. The poor A80 really deserves a better home (although when my almost 3 yr old gets a bit older, I may move it into the living room.

But the thing is... The sound is excellent anyway. Yes a speaker change usually gives the easiest upgrade, but the more I mess around and borrow and try things, the more I realise that you get a far better sound with a good set of £100 speakers, and a £600 amp, than you do with a £600 set of speakers and a £100 amp.
The Gales are excellent for the money, and as I said, in context they are excellent.

Put it this way, the A80, and the Gales, playing stuff via the Beresford will destroy ANY standard mini system, in every sonic respect. I reckon it would take at least a Solo system to better it.

I also have an old Denon mini system and although in its day it was musical enough (and a 5 star winner), its a muddy ploddy mess in comparison...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:JoelSim:fr0g:Just thought I'd post my current computer room (and guest bedroom) listening spot.

The speakers are not used for critical listening. The headphones are where its at here. The poor A80 really deserves a better home (although when my almost 3 yr old gets a bit older, I may move it into the living room.

But the thing is... The sound is excellent anyway. Yes a speaker change usually gives the easiest upgrade, but the more I mess around and borrow and try things, the more I realise that you get a far better sound with a good set of £100 speakers, and a £600 amp, than you do with a £600 set of speakers and a £100 amp.
The Gales are excellent for the money, and as I said, in context they are excellent.

Put it this way, the A80, and the Gales, playing stuff via the Beresford will destroy ANY standard mini system, in every sonic respect. I reckon it would take at least a Solo system to better it.

I also have an old Denon mini system and although in its day it was musical enough (and a 5 star winner), its a muddy ploddy mess in comparison...

I don't doubt that for a minute, but think what a £600 amp and £600 speakers could do

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Am I the only slob on this forum or does everyone tidy up before they take their photos?

Nice setup. Monitor a bit small? Box up them CDs and bung them in the loft?

Heh. Its an old iiyama prolite E435S 17 inch. Its big enough. (I use the laptop mostly anyway)

The CDs are staying out ;)

(Lets put it this way, I had a bit of a router problem the other day, and had they been 'in the loft' I would have had no music on my main system...

I am looking forward to a reasonably priced solid state player, with USB.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts