Component v HDMI / Arcam DV78 v CA540v2 (or old v new technology !)

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
How much better is the quality of HDMI than component output? I've only ever used scart todate. Would a 3 or 4 year old DV-78 running through component get clobbered in terms of video quality by the new Cambridge Audio 540v2 running through HDMI?

And generally speaking is the march of time cruel on older 'hi-end' gear. Does the advancment of technology mean that the audio CD replay quality of the new CA player will be equal or at least not too much behind the once mighty DV-78 (still quoted by WHF as exceptional for CD).

Any help appreciated.

Happy xmas and new year to all forum members, and especially to the WHF staffers who waste hours of their own free time answering the stupid questions of numpties like me
emotion-2.gif

Cheers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And happy Xmas to you - and it's never being a numpty to ask!

Without having the two products to hand, we can't give you a definitive answer on the video front, but I strongly suspect the newer player connected via HDMI would take your older player (superb though it was in its time), because video processing - as well as connectivity - has come on so much in the last few years.

CD replay is a different issue. Arcam's long been praised for the musicality of its movie kit, and i'd be less certain it would be eclipsed (or even matched) by the Cambridge Audio, good though that player is at its price. It's a lot harder to make a DVD player sound musical, in short!

Could you not consider buying the CA for movies and either keeping the Arcam for CDs or buying a budget CD player (maybe one from CA's range, to keep your remote-control-count down?): that way you'd truly get the best of both worlds...

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare. I guess I wasn't too clear - both these were purchasing options. Anyway, I bought the Arcam
emotion-2.gif
I thought about it a LOT, and decided that as component output is still pretty fab on the DV78 and a lot better than my current Limit 800SE scart then it would still be a visual upgrade, as well as a huge sonic one! Compared to the CA540v2 I guess i've traded down a smallish visual quality for a big up in audio quality. I don't think the visuals on the DV78 will be too shabby will they? I will have to buy a new TV though (oh the pain of that
emotion-59.gif
), as my current Panny CRT has no component input. I think a nice Panny TX32-LX70 will do nicely. I think that's the same as the LX700 but without the improved audio.....??

BTW, the Arcam was bought on Ebay for £270 all-in so not bad really. Looks in A1 condition too. I never thought i'd own an Arcam in my life!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts