complete noob!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello to everyone,

having never owned a seperates hifi, this week i took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand set of speakers and amp. the speakers are eltax millenium 200 and the amp a pioneer a405r. both work fine and are in excellent condition so i am happy on that score but are they actually any good? i know there is much, much better equipment out there but im a mature student on a strict budget. also i have 2 other questions, is a graphic equalizer a necessary piece of kit? and do all the components have to be the same make?

regards

robert

A

Anonymous

timwileman:Hi, its no to both questions...(sorry the last 2 questions! i have no idea if your kit is any good) and welcome to the mad world of hifi!! ha ha

I agree and Robert - use your ears - they are your best guide. EVERYTHING that's written is an opinion - nothing more or less than that If it works for you then it's fine provided it's electronically compatible.
emotion-5.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
A graphic equalizer is a no no. Does your amp have tone controls? If so, small adjustments of the tone controls should allow you to tweak to suit your tastes/music/room.

Kit doesn't have to match, but it'll look better if it does, and you know it'll be tuned to give roughly the same overall 'sound' (whether that's a good or bad thing depends on how much you like your amp)

:)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
lektorsavidfan:
hello to everyone,

having never owned a seperates hifi, this week i took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand set of speakers and amp. the speakers are eltax millenium 200 and the amp a pioneer a405r. both work fine and are in excellent condition so i am happy on that score but are they actually any good? i know there is much, much better equipment out there but im a mature student on a strict budget. also i have 2 other questions, is a graphic equalizer a necessary piece of kit? and do all the components have to be the same make?

regards

robert

Agree with the comments about the graphic EQ. An 80's relic that shouldn't be revived!

The eltax's won't be the most detailed speakers in the world, but generally have a nice balanced sound - I've got a pair of Eltax Symphonys on my dining room system and they are always nice to listen to. The pioneer should drive them well.

As to the "should all the items be the same make", it's purely down to choice. They do not have to be - in fact, none of my systems use more than one item from the same make, but that is by accident, not design!

You have a nice starter system there, and one that should provide you with a great deal of pleasure!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts