Complete new system

salmo

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
:help: flooded November (bad),new system(good),my old soggy system was,Panasonic 42 pix 70ba,KEF surround ,HUMAX Freesat HDR,onkyo TXNR709,Panasonic blue ray BD35,Hi-Fi consisted of Rega P3,ROTEL 9658 CD player,AUDIOLAB amp8000a,QUAD 11 speakers,eclipse tuner ,and QED cables.

Replacing a bit of a system is relatively easy,Starting from scratch I am clueless ,(streaming,hard wire,wirekess,etc) what I would like really is someone to say get this its the Best,

living in a slightly remote area in Scotland makes it hard visiting any good dealers (are there any)

my budget is around £6500

ps floors are up at moment can and should I put wires in place

please help

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
You will no doubt get a flood of suggestions on the kit front (sorry!), the one thing I would suggest is putting in some Ethernet cables if you have the chance. Wireless streaming is subject to many variables, having a wired system takes one of the major ones out of the equation. And it won't cost much if your floors are already up.

On the kit front, if the audio and video systems are in the same room why not go for an av receiver that is good at playing music (e.g Arcam) to reduce the box count and clutter a bit? Some do music streaming as well. Similarly, get a bluray player that can play CDs well and another box (and its cost) have gone (use it as a transport into the digital inputs on your av receiver?). Unless you ditch CDs altogether and go for streaming them from a computer or NAS (on your Ethernet wiring!)

Actually how about Oppo 105 (£1,000), arcam av400 (£1,000), £1,500 for 5 speakers (e.g Kef R100s), leaving you plenty for a nice tele, PVR and a new Rega 3.

Go on, tell me now that the two systems are separate!

Hope it all goes well, I dread the thought of being flooded.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
salmo said:
Starting from scratch I am clueless ,(streaming,hard wire,wirekess,etc) what I would like really is someone to say get this its the Best,

Sometimes the best products for the job aren't necessarily the best product you can buy. There's plenty of options out there, it's just a case of narrowing things down to a few options, then getting an audition of them.

Are you looking to still keep the two systems seperate, or combining them?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Speak to Tony at Holburn Hifi in Aberdeen. He'll see you right.

And if you're even thinking about putting in surround sound, I'd run cables under the floor boards to outlets near the skirting boards at the "front" and higher up on the walls at the back. They don't need to be expensive cables IMHO but a lot easier to run now then have to take the boards up later.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
You will no doubt get a flood of suggestions on the kit front (sorry!), the one thing I would suggest is putting in some Ethernet cables if you have the chance. Wireless streaming is subject to many variables, having a wired system takes one of the major ones out of the equation. And it won't cost much if your floors are already up.

On the kit front, if the audio and video systems are in the same room why not go for an av receiver that is good at playing music (e.g Arcam) to reduce the box count and clutter a bit? Some do music streaming as well. Similarly, get a bluray player that can play CDs well and another box (and its cost) have gone (use it as a transport into the digital inputs on your av receiver?). Unless you ditch CDs altogether and go for streaming them from a computer or NAS (on your Ethernet wiring!)

Actually how about Oppo 105 (£1,000), arcam av400 (£1,000), £1,500 for 5 speakers (e.g Kef R100s), leaving you plenty for a nice tele, PVR and a new Rega 3.

Go on, tell me now that the two systems are separate!

Hope it all goes well, I dread the thought of being flooded.

I would go along with all of this, except for suggesting R300s at the front (for 2 channel), even if it meant putting in cheaper rears to cover the cost.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
salmo said:
:help: flooded November (bad),new system(good),my old soggy system was,Panasonic 42 pix 70ba,KEF surround ,HUMAX Freesat HDR,onkyo TXNR709,Panasonic blue ray BD35,Hi-Fi consisted of Rega P3,ROTEL 9658 CD player,AUDIOLAB amp8000a,QUAD 11 speakers,eclipse tuner ,and QED cables.

Replacing a bit of a system is relatively easy,Starting from scratch I am clueless ,(streaming,hard wire,wirekess,etc) what I would like really is someone to say get this its the Best,

living in a slightly remote area in Scotland makes it hard visiting any good dealers (are there any)

my budget is around £6500

ps floors are up at moment can and should I put wires in place

please help

If you don't need a surround system, I'd recomend a Pair of AVI ADM9RSS with sub, either a CA751BD (New model is 752BD) or OPPO 103/105, an Apple TV or Airport Express and an iPad.

I don't know what you have in terms of Pc or for storage, but you could consider a Mac mini for storage and playback.

That lot should set you back around £4K, price dependent on options for some of the kit.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Works fine. Only faffing about you have to do from time to time is matching the hifi volume to the surround sound so that the former doesn't swamp the latter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts