Complaints About The Hot I Pad 3.

Interesting report about the overheating issue, but I see that you're still hung up on $1.78 per hour salaries despite me explaining how it's actually a good salary there, equivalent to that of some professionals like doctors.

The salaries are much higher than the minimum wages in China:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/17/us-foxconn-pay-idUSTRE81G0M920120217

Anyway, this might interest you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/7773011/A-look-inside-the-Foxconn-suicide-factory.html

Especially:

Inside, workers get free meals and accommodation in giant tower blocks. There is a complimentary bus and free laundry. Touch-screen computers around the campus allow each worker to check his current status - how much he has earned that month and how many hours he has worked.

There are free swimming pools, and tennis courts and 500 LED screens beam out exercise programmes across the site, as well as bulletins from Foxconn TV. Clubs organised by the company offer chess, calligraphy, mountain climbing or fishing.

A

Anonymous

Also here about I Pad over heating. http://www.t3.com/news/new-ipad-overheating-saga-continues-as-test-clocks-116-f

Yes bigboss....still hung up on the low pay and dormatory livingof the poor downtrodden workers I am afraid.

Perhaps this is because I was a Shop Steward and Works Convener for around 30 years....so up the Workers I say! :rofl:

Just because the pay is better than most outside does not make it right for Apple to still pay peanuts when they could do so much better. Perhaps at least allow them to stay and live in proper houses rather than dormatories would help.

And of course according to your quote above they are living high on the hog in comparison to most of the other poor rods that live in that country.

Perhaps this is why......

"Two more workers attempted to commit suicide on Thursday by jumping from the top of dormitory buildings at its giant Longhua factory, according to sources at the site. Both survived and are currently hospitalised.

On Wednesday night, just hours after the chairman of Foxconn assured hundreds of reporters that the plant was under control, a 23-year-old man killed himself.

So far, at least 16 people have jumped from high buildings at the factory so far this year, with 12 deaths. A further 20 people were stopped by the company before they could attempt to kill themselves.

The hysteria at Longhua, where between 300,000 and 400,000 employees eat, work and sleep, has grown to such a pitch that workers have twisted Foxconn’s Chinese name so that it now sounds like": “Run to your Death”.

What are they wanting to escape from then......Happy Times Pay and Living Conditions at Apple?

Anyway, I can see that you and I are never going to agree on this one....so let us just agree to disagree otherwise this subject will take over my life.

By the way, I see that you have done loads of good posts here, so great respect to you for that.

Best Regards

Boozercruiser (Kenny Thain).

PS.....if you would care to do a Google for Kenny Thain you will find that I do get rather wound up about quite a lot of things!

But now I find myself mellowing! :cheers:

A

Anonymous

In response to the overheating issue - I've been using mine a lot since Friday and it's really not hot at all... Although I've yet to watch extended video.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
Just because the pay is better than most outside does not make it right for Apple to still pay peanuts when they could do so much better.

Unfortunately the fact that you don't even understand that it's not Apple paying them or that many, many other companies use Foxconn to manufacture their products but you don't seem to have any problem with those businesses, renders your opinion almost completely worthless.

I'm no Apple fanboy (as Paul Hobbs will testify) but your complaints are doing nothing but make you look ignorant.

A

Anonymous

Well, I got a right one here.....a right know all know nothing all. :hand:

For you to say that I do not understand and look ignorant I take offence at. |(

Do you not think that I do not already know that it is not Apple who are not paying the workers direct, but that they just use Foxcon to manufacturer the Apple products? :wall:

Also, If you think that my opinion is wortheless then please go away and bother someone who gives a damn about what you think in respect of according to that and me supposidly being ignorant.

The fact is that even though Apple in effect sub contract they pay huge amounts to Foxconn and others to produce I Pads and Puds.......

The could and should pay a lot more for Foxconns workers to be treated right in pay and conditions. They have a moral responsibility to do that.

Then perhaps no more of them will want to commit suicide by trying to throw themselves out of the highest window. :help:

But then, I don't know of any big business who actually gives a hit about it's workers....Profit is all that matters.

Does this Forum have an ignore option? If it does then you are on it! |(

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
For you to say that I do not understand and look ignorant I take offence at. |(

Do you not think that I do not already know that it is not Apple who are not paying the workers direct, but that they just use Foxcon to manufacturer the Apple products? :wall:

Not according to this comment, no: "Just because the pay is better than most outside does not make it right for Apple to still pay peanuts when they could do so much better."

Also, If you think that my opinion is wortheless then please go away and bother someone who gives a damn about what you think in respect of according to that and me supposidly being ignorant.

No, that's not how it works, if you stick your opinion on a forum you have to expect people to question it and then defend it against those question.

The fact is that even though Apple in effect sub contract they pay huge amounts to Foxconn and others to produce I Pads and Puds.......

So your argument should be with Foxconn, by your reckoning they're the ones that are raking in the cash and not paying a fair amount to their workers. Apple can't dictate what Foxconn pay any more than my client can dictate to my employer how much they should be paying me, they negotiate a contract between themselves and it's up to my employer to decide what to pay me, it's not the client's business.

The could and should pay a lot more for Foxconns workers to be treated right in pay and conditions. They have a moral responsibility to do that.

No, they don't, Foxconn have a moral responsibility to pay their workers a fair wage and give them reasonable working conditions and the evidence is that that's exactly what they do, compared to the vast majority of Chinese businesses. Now, why do you think that is? Could it possibly be because in having the Apple contract (along with Sony and many others) they're in a position to be able to pay their workers far more than most other people in that country earn?

Or maybe you think Foxconn workers should be paid the same as US workers or UK workers, in which case there'd be no advantage to using Foxconn, Apple would pull the manufacturing back to the US and all those poor Foxconn workers would be out of a job and what good would that do them? But then of course you'd just moan about Apple throwing them all on the scrapheap and what a disgrace it is that they aren't paying those workers to just sit there and do nothing, etc etc...

Then perhaps no more of them will want to commit suicide by trying to throw themselves out of the highest window. :help:

Maybe you should have a look at some other figures for rates of suicide and death in the workplace (the US has a MUCH higher figure, per capita, than Foxconn does for example) but you won't because that doesn't fit with your blinkered view of a situation you've again shown you don't know very much about, nor do you understand the first thing about how subcontracting works.

But then, I don't know of any big business who actually gives a hit about it's workers....Profit is all that matters.

Of course, because without profit you don't have a business.

Does this Forum have an ignore option? If it does then you are on it! |(

We'll see.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Off topic first of all - France Telecom (part owner of Orange) is MUCH worse yet nobody seems to boycott them. One poor guy even self immolated last year. Foxconn maufactures for Acer, Amazon, Apple, Cisco, Dell, HP, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nintendo, Nokia, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba. Do you boycott/protest all these too? Using a Nokia on Orange is tantamount to pushing the guy off the roof!

On topic, Apple responses to these things are always lacking and people will still lap up the product. I guess unless users want fans, the increasing chip power coupled with a demand for battery life will always give us problems.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Funnily (well, not quite "funny" but...) suicide among Foxconn workers is actually about 1/3 of the national average in China...

On the subject of the hot iPad - I read somewhere (possibly here), a gushing comment - "how do Apple announce a new product and have it shipped globally only 3 weeks later?!" - I think the answer is "by dispensing with proper testing". Is this the new antenna-gate? 46c is pretty hot stuff...

wilsonlaidlaw

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I like the warmth of my iPad3. I have hands damaged in a racing car accident which have poor circulation and arthritis. I love the gentle (and it is very gentle) warmth emanting from the pad. It does not get anything like as hot as my MacBook Pro, which you have to be careful using with shorts, as you can burn your legs.

Wilson
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Aside from my comments and some others :) I agree with your comment here! Buy a Pint on me with that Fiver. :cheers:

My OP was simply to draw Forum Members to the news that perhaps the new I Pad was overheating.

Then the post started to take the twists and turns of the Amazon before it flows into the Atlantic Oceon.

I now float into the sunset. :wave:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
My OP was simply to draw Forum Members to the news that perhaps the new I Pad was overheating.

You could have done that without shoe-horning in an irrelevant and inacccurate comment on working conditions at Foxconn. Utterly pointless.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc,

He is a self confessed shop steward and works convener. Which in my experience explains everything perfectly.

How are you dealing with being ignored??????????

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
How are you dealing with being ignored??????????

<sigh> It's tough, you know? Sometimes I just don't know how I'm going to get through the day...

Can I go on the list and be ignored too?

I guess the OP would prefer it to be a "Send To Coventry" button...

FredKite.jpg

"All them corn fields and ballet in the evening."

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc and Chebby,

Look, if you promise to go on 6 demonstrations and chant endlessly about things you know nothing about, you may get off the 'ignore list'.

Now drink up children and off to bed with you, you little scamps!

:shhh:

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The iPad3 does not get hot when held in hands, but gets very hot on lap or laid flat on table with warm-retaining surface such as leather etc. The personnel at the Apple store were already highly trained to obfuscate the issue and divert attention to workarounds. Apple's contention that the maximum temperature that will be reached is 116 degrees F. does not compute.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts