Compact Speakers for Arcam Solo Mini

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am considering buying an Arcam Solo Mini for the bedroom and am looking for some advice on speakers.

The speakers will need to reside on a wooden desk near the wall. They need to be compact, but they don't need to be able reach high volumes.

The WH review (http://whathifi.com/Review/Arcam-Solo-Mini/) suggests Dali Lektor 1s. What other options should I consider?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Wharfedale 10.1, dali lector, leema xero's and I am sure quite a few other people will give some other recomendations.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

The Leema Xeros look promising: I've added them to my list.

I was hoping for something smaller than the 10.1s.

A

Anonymous

Any other suggestions? Perhaps between the Dalis and Xeros in price?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Avi neutron v, I tried them out with some arcam kit (not sure which models) and they sounded realy good to me!. They are rear potted though so not sure how they would do flush to the wall but they can be pritty close to a wall and actally helps with the bass.

A

Anonymous

bay24:Avi neutron v, I tried them out with some arcam kit (not sure which models) and they sounded realy good to me!. They are rear potted though so not sure how they would do flush to the wall but they can be pritty close to a wall and actally helps with the bass.
Beat me to it by a few seconds
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Out of those I would definitely go for the Leema Xeros. (They can be had for £399 new at the moment.)

They are normally £650.

Where have you seen them for £399?

Thanks.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:bay24:Avi neutron v, I tried them out with some arcam kit (not sure which models) and they sounded realy good to me!. They are rear potted though so not sure how they would do flush to the wall but they can be pritty close to a wall and actally helps with the bass.
Beat me to it by a few seconds
emotion-1.gif

great minds.....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your advice, I am going to give the following a listen on Saturday.

* Dali Lector 1

* Leema Xero

* AVI Neutron 5

* PMC DB1i

Will report back on how I get on.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
How about the Arcam Logo / Muso 2.1. These were designed to go with the mini and they are a five star product (the 5.1 package).

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for their the advice. This morning I listened to four sets of speakers with the Arcam Solo Mini at Bartletts Hi-Fi.

My test CDs were from Radiohead, Panic! At The Disco, Mozart, Boards of Canada and the Beatles. The speaker cabling was Atlas (don't recall the exact type). This was my first time listening to hi-fi equipment in a demo room, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I started with the Dali Lector 1s and was frankly disappointed. They are obviously cheaper than the others and OK Computer isn't the easiest thing to play, but they sounded really mushy and disorganised. Other tracks weren't much better. The percussion wasn't sharp and voices sounded flat.

The second set of speakers I tried were the AVI Neutron 5s. They were definitely more listenable than the Dalis, but I still wasn't happy. On the Mozart piano concerto the orchestra was still muddled. Voices sounded somewhat hollow on all the tracks. I was rather disheartened at this point, other forum members had rated them, perhaps I was expecting too much from the Arcam?

Third up were the PMC DB1is. To get to the point immediately: wow. When playing the Mozart piano concerto I could clearly hear where each instrument was positioned. The DB1is remained organised when playing Airbag from OK Computer (a tall order) and guitars on the Panic track sounded like they were in the room. Listening to Back in the USSR and Dear Prudence on the White Album brought a smile to my face. The sound was very involving and detailed yet still warm. The bass was clearly the best of the four. I could have listened all day.

Finally I gave the Leema Xeros a listen. They made Boards of Canada's Aquarius sound wonderfully smooth. However, despite being better organised than the Dalis or the AVIs they were too laid back for me. The Mozart was good, but I wasn't drawn into the music like I was with the PMCs. There wasn't enough excitement and bite.

In conclusion it's got to be the PMCs for me. They sounded awesome. The Leemas were good too, but not in the same league. Neither the AVIs nor the Dalis impressed me.

Couple of final thoughts. The difference between the speakers was much larger than I expected. The law of diminishing returns clearly sets in later than I imagined. Secondly, you need decent speakers to do the Mini justice. The What Hi-fi review (http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Arcam-Solo-Mini/) recommends partnering with the Dalis, but in my judgement they're not up to the job. Perhaps no £200 speakers are, but I was very disappointed all the same.

Time to get saving :)

A

Anonymous

Good choice but you'd expect the considerably more expensive speakers to be better! Enjoy them, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts