Compact speaker amp?

ElGofre

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So yeah, I'm after a small hifi amp to drive my Wharfedale 9.1s in my computer audio rig. I'm currently using an Arcam Alpha 8, but I have recently got a new job and will most likely be moving from home to a rented room closer to work, so space is going to be a lot more scarce. Being bi-wireable would be preferable.

Budget's not particularly high since I am first and formost a headphone listener, I'm willing to go up to £250 but I'd really like to keep it as low as possible. Good sound quality and a small footprint are the only real considerations.

Cheers!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
ElGofre said:
I'm after a small headphone amp to drive my Wharfedale 9.1s

I don't think a headphone amp is going to be powerful enough. Did you really mean headphone amp? They aren't the most efficient speakers, so I'm not even sure whether you could come up with a compact solution using a T amp. How about something like a Denon CEOL Piccolo or other micro system?

ElGofre

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
ElGofre said:
I'm after a small headphone amp to drive my Wharfedale 9.1s

I don't think a headphone amp is going to be powerful enough. Did you really mean headphone amp? They aren't the most efficient speakers, so I'm not even sure whether you could come up with a compact solution using a T amp. How about something like a Denon CEOL Piccolo or other micro system?

Correct, it was a mistake =P

hoopsontoast said:
I guess he is after a stereo amp with a headphone output as well.

A headphone output won't be necessary, I'll use headphones with other gear.

A

Anonymous

Try getting hold of a second hand Cyrus amp. Very compact, has a headphone socket and bi wireable depending on the model. You'll definately get one for that sort of money. Try to get a listen 1st. Some people don't like the sound of the older Cyrus gear.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
BigH said:
Forget bi-wiring, waste of money.

Hmmm.... How about biamping?

Interesting. I've read reports online of people succesfully using T amps where they don't need high volumes, but never even heard a T amp myself, so have no idea what to expect. Now wasn't someone from the Magazine experimenting with a T amp setup at home that he was going to write about?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts