• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Compact Disc Players

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
I make no apologies for being a lover of CD players and feel grateful for, in the EMC1UP, possessing an excellent player myself.

Just wanted to know for those like minded members out there, which player would you own if money were no object?

Not interested in hearing about transports and DACS, just one box players.

A couple of brands spring to mind for me... Accuphase and Burmester.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

toyota man

New member
Apr 22, 2009
79
0
0
Hi Macspur I am a CD lover to I love not having to get up half way through an Album I love not having to keep forever cleaning albums I must admit that I am thinking of replacing mine although thats as far as I've got I will give it some thought and post when I have
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
Hi Mac,

Aside from your EMC1UP, the best player I've heard is the Copland CDA 825. Like the EMC1UP, it's a top loader. I heard it through a Devialet with Harbeth SHL5s and Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms. It seemed faultless.

I've also heard the Musical Fidelity AMSCD, though it was harder to judge, as I didn't really get on with the speakers it was playing through.

Cheers,

Matt
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
Excellent! haven't heard any of the players mentioned, just what I was looking for, thanks.

The thing that moved me to post this subject was, on another forum someone was looking for a Burmester 061 and I suggested the EMC1UP, but a dealer popped up who supplies both brands and in his opinion the Burmester is in a different class from the Electro... if anyone has heard a Burmester player, would be interested in your thoughts and keep the dream players coming!

One other I've just thought of is the Rega Isis valve version, supposed to be a bit special.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

Al ears

Moderator
Macspur said:
Excellent! haven't heard any of the players mentioned, just what I was looking for, thanks.

The thing that moved me to post this subject was, on another forum someone was looking for a Burmester 061 and I suggested the EMC1UP, but a dealer popped up who supplies both brands and in his opinion the Burmester is in a different class from the Electro... if anyone has heard a Burmester player, would be interested in your thoughts and keep the dream players coming!

One other I've just thought of is the Rega Isis valve version, supposed to be a bit special.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
The Burmester 061 should be in a different league being priced at about 9635 euro. You might also consider the 069 at 35,035 euro, or then again maybe not.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
Macspur said:
a dealer popped up who supplies both brands and in his opinion the Burmester is in a different class from the Electro...
I doubt any players at this price level are 'in a different class' to each other. At that kind of money-no-object price it's all about one designer's sonic preferences over another. I reckon if 100 people listened to both (and let's assume those 100 people could actually hear an appreciable difference at all), it's surely likely you'd get a 50/50 split or thereabouts. If not, then one of the players is a damn bad design, and God knows at these prices it has no excuse to be.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
266
151
19,070
I feel very fortunate to have been able to buy my Krell KAV300cd in the 90s, and it is still going brilliantly. Just one service at £120 in fifteen years means it has beengood value at the considerable original price of c three grand. It is fabulously built and still looks current to my eyes.

I have been quite taken with both Accuphase and the recent Yamaha 3000 series, embodying traditional looks and top performance. Some folk suggest that playing optical discs will be a marginal activity in a decade, rather like LPs are now. Maybe they will be called polycarbonates then, not CDs!?

Always hankered after ?Electro, and very nearly bought a Copland instead of Krell, but liked the brand match which is more the fashion now.
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
2
18,545
Mac ,

Like you I love my Cd's and I won't be getting rid of them any time soon, although I am toying with the idea of some sort of computer audio or streaming solution mainly because there is some new music that is simply not available on Cd !

Over the years I have heard quite a few very good Cd players and they all had their good points but most seemed to be very good in one particular area at the expense of another .

If you were to spend a large sum of money on a dream Cd player you may get a small improvement in one particular area but in my opinion you would lose the superb balance and total consistency that the EMC1 up provides .

I do have a suggestion for your list though, and it is the Audio Research Reference CD9 .*smile*

http://www.audioresearch.com/en-us/products/reference-cd9

I
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
266
151
19,070
Perhaps money no object I'd go with Audio Research too, for the whole system. Could not tolerate Burmester as it is too gaudy, and too much of the price is the finish, which I don't care for!
 

Al ears

Moderator
As we are mentioning various class cd players I would strongly suggest getting something that has a top-loading mechanism (and something like the Phillips Pro 2 drive or Sony equivalent) as, apart from failing laser mechanisms, all the problems I have had in the past with CD players is their loading mechanism. Both drawers and the odd slot loader have caused me the most headaches.

The Ref CD9 is indeed a class bit of kit. Come to think of it I cannot think of a bit of Audio Research gear that is not class!
 

Al ears

Moderator
nopiano said:
Perhaps money no object I'd go with Audio Research too, for the whole system. Could not tolerate Burmester as it is too gaudy, and too much of the price is the finish, which I don't care for!
It is a wee bit shiny isn't it? Of course you could double-up its use and employ it as a mirror.


And like your good self if I win the lottery a complete Audio Research (Reference series) set-up it would be. We can all dream. Although I might be tempted by the dCs four-pack, puccini et al, combo for CD duties.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
Great comments, thank you for contributing to the post and not being tempted to stray onto streamers or seperates... will let the DCS get by as it's supposed to be near the top of the tree.

I understand your point Electro. I have occasionally come across an album lately that's not available on Cd, but it's usually a young up and coming artist who lacks the funds for a full format release.

Audio Research is definite quality... I have demoed the CD5, but the EMC1UP just covers all bases for me.

O, and thanks for enlightening me about the Burmesters looks, like you say probably what you pay for, would still like to hear one though lol!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,635
83
19,770
Macspur said:
I make no apologies for being a lover of CD players and feel grateful for, in the EMC1UP, possessing an excellent player myself.

Just wanted to know for those like minded members out there, which player would you own if money were no object?

Not interested in hearing about transports and DACS, just one box players.

A couple of brands spring to mind for me... Accuphase and Burmester.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
I have a hankering for a Bryston. Heard them in a shop environment and sounded stunning, so just wonder how that would transfer to a typical living room.

Or even your Electro. *clapping*
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
CnoEvil said:
Another vote for the Pathos Endorphin. *dance4*
When I was on the hunt for a new CDP, before settling for the Electro, I was very interested in the Endorphin, but couldn't find anywhere to demo it.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
toyota man said:
Hi Macspur I am a CD lover to I love not having to get up half way through an Album I love not having to keep forever cleaning albums I must admit that I am thinking of replacing mine although thats as far as I've got I will give it some thought and post when I have
Good man!

I look forward to your search.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

iceman16

Well-known member
Feb 8, 2011
89
8
18,545
Macspur said:
I make no apologies for being a lover of CD players and feel grateful for, in the EMC1UP, possessing an excellent player myself.

Just wanted to know for those like minded members out there, which player would you own if money were no object?

Not interested in hearing about transports and DACS, just one box players.

A couple of brands spring to mind for me... Accuphase and Burmester.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
Hi Mac

Im not quite sure if it's the Chord Electronics red reference I've heard at my local dealer one time and I really want to take it home if I have the £££
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
2
18,545
Al ears said:
Looks pretty OK for an Electrocompaniet clone. How much did it cost new I wonder? Pity I'm not looking for one at the moment as it certainly looks the biz.
Per Abrahamsen was one of the original Electrocompaniet designers .

I think the V1.0 Cd player was about the £1100 mark , but that was a while ago .

From the spec it also has a volume control on the analogue output .
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts