Silver: mains conditioner

Grey: Pre & power amps

Oak: TV Cabinet

Birds eye maple: front speakers

Rosewood: centre speaker

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you mean colours of hi-fi equipment, yes.

Back in the days of my seperates systems I not only preferred everything the same colour but the same shape and same brand wherever possible.

For 11 years I had a Rega amp and Rega tuner and they looked great together on adjacent shelves. But the Yamaha cassette recorder - despite being roughly the same colour - stuck out like a sore thumb and made me wish at times that I'd bought all Yamaha kit. Luckily it was an excellent cassette recorder and it was somewhat less visible than the Rega kit ( sitting in a shelf underneath them).

As far as speakers are concerned, they have to be available in Maple or Beech or light/natural Oak to match the bookshelves and the unit the Marantz and TV sit on. It also bugs me that the Humax and BD player are black, but extraneous/peripheral boxes have always bugged me and are largely unavoidable. At least they are smaller and better looking than the old VHS and cassette recorders of years ago.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Black Amp

Champagne CDP / DVD

Black Ash Speakers

Rosewood DVD cabinet / hifi stand

Rosewood furniture

Walnut TV Stand

Beech TT Stand / Vinyl Storage / Bookshelf

It would be nice if the amp was matching champagne, and the speakers rosewood but then they would have cost a lot more in the first place.

Interesting (including Andrew's poster :) ). The TT is grey, Denon black, amp and CDP silver.

Have no real allegiance to any one colour or shade but if a real corker-component came along and it didn't colour-match the rest of your kit would that be a problem?

I've noticed Cno and one or two others have black and silver.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I like Champagne with Rosewood side cheeks, although most kit with that finish never really made it over from Japan in any great numbers :cry:

Accuphase* 'all-in-one' device please. With honking great backlit VU meters, polished wood side cheeks and a pair of veneer matched Harbeths on bespoke wooden stands to match the wood in my panelled library (the one that only exists in my head until the lottery win happens).

Ta.

*Or Luxman.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Defo black (or at least the charcoal grey my arcam gear is)

Love the gloss black speakers, TV and TT, only thing that looks very 80s in my set up in my velodyne black ash sub!

All looks rather nice on/around my oak coloured hifi rack.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Accuphase* 'all-in-one' device please. With honking great backlit VU meters, polished wood side cheeks and a pair of veneer matched Harbeths on bespoke wooden stands to match the wood in my panelled library.

Exactly my dream too... panelled in English oak and with an antique Persian rug on the flagstone floor.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Back all the way for me now - REGA DAC and Leema Pulse. Was a bit of a sore point when I had the Arcam rDAC but luckily it was small enough to hide in the background.

Only problem now is the red LED of REGA vs the blue/violet the Leema beems - no problem living with that TBH

T

the record spot

Each buyer has different criteria, so colour may well be a factor assuming that it also has to sound good too. If it ticks those boxes then it's as valid as any other buying rationale I'd suggest.

Mine is pretty much all black, except for the Denon DVD-3930 which is silver. The speakers (in my avatar) are light oak.

matthewpiano

I like all my equipment to match but I'm not overly bothered whether it is black or silver. My present system is all black though with the mirrored section on the CD player giving it a little lift. I'm not really a fan of black speakers though and one of the nice things about running my Quads again is the finish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts