Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto ... stay away for 2 reasons

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
reason 1,after it has a fairly nice cover and the vinyl felt heavyish i noticed 14 tracks and thought fair enough 7 on each side is not that bad. Started playing it and after track 1 put my needle was mucky or i had the speed checked and as always my needle was clean and the speed was right. then even checked that my speakers were wired right. Back to the music lets go and after side 1 it was dead sounding almost compressed on vinyl the high notes went high ish but with no depth and the bass was not boomy but had a sluggish sound to it. The producer is a guy that worked with u2 i think i read he needs to take himself to bathroom with a clean mirror and take one long look at himself.

reason2, the main one was an awful album its like a coldplay pop mash up. no stand out tracks maybe track 1 on side 2 which i latter found to be an old b track. 20mins after listening and i almost forgot the whole album. I was not keen on the lastest radiohead one but aleast it sounded hot on you hifi.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi smuggs

I have a Linn/Rega/Ortofon 2M Red combo and it never sounds dead and lifeless, quite the opposite. If any music sounds "dead" with the 2M Red, then it is definitely a poor pressing and the cartridge is not to blame. Thanks for the heads up.

A

Anonymous

I actually like Coldplay, but after borrowing a CD and checking it out in Audacity, I can see it's badly clipped on most tracks. Quite a poor recording.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nice 'new' avatar Snivilisationism :)

But going back on topic. I read a review of the Coldplay album that described it as 'catchier than cholera'. Having had a listen, I feel it's probably as unpleasant....

paulyboy233

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I've always had much admiration for Coldplay's music (even paying a kings ransom to see them live), but this release is just not good. What's with all the 'woo woo woos'? I have read that this may be their last album release as a band, and on this showing, perhaps that's not such a bad call......

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Just keep listening to 'Parachutes' and some of 'A rush of blood to the head', from when they were talented kids putting out great music and forget that all the other rubbish they've put out since then evens exists. That's what I've done for the last 9 years. If any of their new stuff comes on the radio, I change station, cos I just know it's gonna be rubbish. I'm quite happily in denial and living in the past :)

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
El Hefe said:
Just got myself a copy of this LP. And I tend to agree to general comments here....this album is just not as good as the previous ones...

How many artists improve? And if they do, who continues to? Very few.

I think there are a plenty...Weezer, Bad Religion, Nirvana to mention a few...well at least in my books.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
IMHO Depeche Mode and Yello (electronic and eccentric Swiss band if you don't know them) are the only bands who have consistently developed their sound over the decades.

Or maybe I have just matured at the same pace as them :rockout:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
IMHO Depeche Mode and Yello (electronic and eccentric Swiss band if you don't know them) are the only bands who have consistently developed their sound over the decades.

Or maybe I have just matured at the same pace as them :rockout:

Er, ever heard of Wilco, My Morning Jacket, and a little known act called The Beatles. They managed quite a progression over their 8 year run between first and last album.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i think the sterophonics have changed there sound and have stayed very good.

robert cray changed adding more vocals and he also is always good.

ten years after i would say got stronger

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I have to admit to not having listened to this band before... my daughter let me listen to both parachutes and mylo xyloto albums yesterday and I thought they sounded good, some real nice sounds in there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts