Closed Back Options

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I am fortunate to have a couple of good headphones to use - Beyerdynamic T90 and Grado 325e. However sadly my cheaper portable closed back phillips urban set are on the way out and i need to re-invest in a good closed back for both home (occasional) and train use. I have a couple of ways to go :

Buy some Beyerdynamic DT770 or Audio Technica ATH-M50X or AKG 550 Mk2 and thats it

or

Sell the Grados and buy one of the above but also buy a small amp such as the Oppo HA2

or

Sell the Grados and buy some Oppo PM-3

Thats pretty my shortlist at the moment - i will hopefully get to try these but the Oppos are hard to find locally, i have heard the DT770s before but not the others. I am working on the basis i only need two good sets really and so the Grados could go to fund a good closed back set up.

If anyone has any comparative views i would be happy to hear them.

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi crusaderlord

It would be a shame to part with your Grado Sr325es(!) - I use them on a daily basis too, although obviously they aren't ideal for being out and about. If you're in need of good closed-backs, I'd definitely recommend the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s - nice and portable, and more than good enough to use in a moderate hi-fi set-up too. Also in that £250-270 league, the B&W P5 S2s.

I don't have much experience of the Audio Technicas you mentioned, but can vouch for the cheaper AKG K550s (tremendous value) - just bear in mind that they are big! I believe the more compact Philips M1MKII can be picked up online for around £100/120 too.

If you do decice to sell the Grados (*weep*) and can go more big-ticket for closed-backs then I, having heard the Oppo PM-3s, would personally choose the similarly-priced, more dynamic/transparent B&W P7s (http://www.whathifi.com/bw/p7/review) over them.

Hope that's helpful.

Becky
Staff Writer, What Hi-Fi?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Owning a pair of DT-770 pro myself I wouldn't recommend them for outdoor use.

They sound fantastic, but they are studio monitors essentially. They are rather bulky and ugly, the fixed coiled cable would be awkward in outdoor social use. Plus you'd have to opt for the 32ohm version as the higher impedance particularly the 250 ohm versions would not be suitable for a portable device as such devices wouldn't be able to drive them at all well.

If you wanted the DT-770 purely for Hi Fi use I would recommend them in a heartbeat, they are the best cans I've ever had.

For portable closed phones I'd consider the Sennheiser Momentum range personally.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts. Made me chuckle as i have now added sennheiser momentum 2 and B&W P7 to my list.

I have heard the B&W P7 and i thought they were excellent. However such is the forum and review hype generally around the Oppo PM3 that these are the ones everyone thinks are the best (up to £350 ish), however this site may not quite share that view it seems.

I used to have some Sennheiser HD650's but i do not think they match either the Beyer T90 or Grado 325e so i didnt look at the Momentums but maybe i will - sadly i dont really like on ear so that makes them pricier to get (the on ear ones do go for very reasonable amounts).

Current thoughts on this, at home i mostly use the Beyer T90 but some music does work best with the Grados. I was hopefuil the Oppo PM-3 would be better than the Grados and thus replace them for both home and portable use but it sounds like here at least this may not be the recommendation.

I may therefore stick with the Grados and then buy a cheaper portable set for when i am on the train. Most of the listening is using my HiFi and headphone amp anyway. I note the comments about the DT 770 and i also dont really want another Beyer set so these are out. AKG 550 are probably too large.

I will aim to try the Oppo PM-3 as a replacement for Grado 325e - but if they dont beat them i will aim to select either B&W P7 or Momentum over ear. I may still yet go cheaper still and get the AKG Y50 and spend money on something else but i do have the budget for a bit more if needed.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered the Shure SRH940? I liked them a lot, they are well made and fold up for easy storage on the move. Also, only 42 ohms so not too hard to drive.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
pauln said:
Have you considered the Shure SRH940? I liked them a lot, they are well made and fold up for easy storage on the move. Also, only 42 ohms so not too hard to drive.

Given the O.P. likes the T90 and the 325e, the 940 should be a great match.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - lots of options then really.

I was last night ejected from my living room while my wife watched tv (often happens due to sound leakage) and listening to my itouch with grados and really felt that they needed an amp. The itouch 6 (my portable source) is good, but does sound a little sharp when directly connected.

I am as a result realising that the occasional train use is not where i need to spend the money, and i am beginning to doubt any closed back at this price will match the open backs i have. So i am seriously considering the Oppo HA-2 now which clearly gives me use at home and portable. I will then purchase a set of Sennheiser Momentum, maybe version 1 as the price is pretty good now for these to use as portable.

I am thinking this is a better use of a £350 budget than heading for Oppo PM-3. Also i will aim to keep the Grados and get the budget by selling a bit of rare Kate Bush 180g vinyl i have hanging around (i no longer use a turntable).

Happy to hear any views of the HA-2 - they were mentioned in my original post so its not really a diversion from the original question. I really miss using my Graham Slee amp when i cant access the main Hi-fi and i dont want to be unplugging it and moving it all the time.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
Thanks - lots of options then really.

I was last night ejected from my living room while my wife watched tv (often happens due to sound leakage) and listening to my itouch with grados and really felt that they needed an amp. The itouch 6 (my portable source) is good, but does sound a little sharp when directly connected.

I am as a result realising that the occasional train use is not where i need to spend the money, and i am beginning to doubt any closed back at this price will match the open backs i have. So i am seriously considering the Oppo HA-2 now which clearly gives me use at home and portable. I will then purchase a set of Sennheiser Momentum, maybe version 1 as the price is pretty good now for these to use as portable.

I am thinking this is a better use of a £350 budget than heading for Oppo PM-3. Also i will aim to keep the Grados and get the budget by selling a bit of rare Kate Bush 180g vinyl i have hanging around (i no longer use a turntable).

Happy to hear any views of the HA-2 - they were mentioned in my original post so its not really a diversion from the original question. I really miss using my Graham Slee amp when i cant access the main Hi-fi and i dont want to be unplugging it and moving it all the time.

The HA-2 will give you more volume, but it won't soften the sharp sound of the iPod Touch and the Grado headphone.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned ATH-M50X. I use these for mixing when I'm not using my monitor speakers. For some reason I've never figured they don't register on HiFi enthusiasts' radar, but they're almost ubiquitous among amateur and semi-pro producers. For £150 (often less) they're the cans to which others at the price are judged. But that said, they won't stand up to scrutiny against some other models mentioned here that cost several times more.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - thats useful to know about the HA-2. My conclusion is to take my time over this.

Headphones are a minefield, i do get the most enjoyment i would say from the T90's albeit that is with the Graham Slee ULDE which takes the edge off the very top end. The T90's also do need the amplification to drive them. The Grados dont need the amplification to work well and are faster and rhythmical with a smaller soundstage and less bass depth, and with some music are amazing, but i do think they can be overwhelming at times.

Tricky to know what to do but i am edging towards getting a deal on some closed back headphones around £100 or so such as Sennheiser Momentums or Audio Technica and stopping there for now. I will try and sound out the Shure's mentioned. By doing this i am not attempting to match my open headphones but just get some good portable ones for journeys. At home i will use the two i have and try to stop thinking what if...

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
Thanks - thats useful to know about the HA-2. My conclusion is to take my time over this.

Headphones are a minefield, i do get the most enjoyment i would say from the T90's albeit that is with the Graham Slee ULDE which takes the edge off the very top end. The T90's also do need the amplification to drive them. The Grados dont need the amplification to work well and are faster and rhythmical with a smaller soundstage and less bass depth, and with some music are amazing, but i do think they can be overwhelming at times.

Tricky to know what to do but i am edging towards getting a deal on some closed back headphones around £100 or so such as Sennheiser Momentums or Audio Technica and stopping there for now. I will try and sound out the Shure's mentioned. By doing this i am not attempting to match my open headphones but just get some good portable ones for journeys. At home i will use the two i have and try to stop thinking what if...

Those 3 are a good compare. The Momentum is a great build, great comfort, warm low end (rolled off in deep bass), and shy on the very high end. The SRH940 are known as the "detail monster", but may be bright for some people. The signature is very similar to the HD800. The M50 has an amazing bass - not boomy or emphasized in upper bass, but stays solid all the way down. Mids are OK, and the treble is very extended, but not as smooth as the 940, and not as bright.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have taken my first steps to try and tweak my headphones set up. It may make a nice read for someone as the fun is as much in the search as the purchase ... I had a demo of a number of headphones at Hifiheadphones in Lancing - excellent place !

Oppo PM-3 - lovely headphones, very comfortable and lovely balanced sound, not too bright and with nice deep bass. i really liked these and can see why they get the positive forum and reviews. Build quality is excellent.

B&W P7 - direct competitor to the PM-3 and quite similar in how clear and balanced they were. i would say these have an extra bit of upper bass lift which you may or may not prefer. This may work best out and about but i do prefer the more natural PM-3 sound and i felt they were just a tad less comfortable too with more solid feeling earpads. Still excellent though.

Sennheiser HD700 - very different presentation to the Oppo PM-3 and P7, and i wasnt so enamoured with these. they had a brighter treble with a more detailed view but less fullsome in overall bass and midrange. Not the ones for me.

Beyerdynamic T70 - lovely headphones but then i own the T90s and love the openess, resolution and deep bass these give. however they are were not better than the T90s so were not going to be the ones i go for, as it would be nice to have a different closed back make as i will always be able to use my T90s at home.

Audeze LCD-2 - tried these out just because they were there. excellent darker sound, but heavy headphones and certainly not portable at all. if i ever felt the need to replace the T90s i would consider these but it made me realise how much value is in the T90s to be honest.

Oppo PM-2 - of course these are very similar to the PM-3, with a bit more air to the sound and some extra detail. That said they were not really that much better than their closed back rival and did not really seem worth the extra money. I would be very happy with the PM-3. In fact coming the from the Grado i found the PM-3 a better match for my ears and more comfy..

I couldnt try any Sennheiser Momentum 2 or Shure headphones so these are still on my list (although i am not sure the detail focused Shure will be my cup of tea). My demo was compared back to my Grado 325e and Beyer T90.

Conclusion so far. I sold my Grado 325e - depite how good they are in speed and rhythm my ears just prefer a more relaxed and open headphone, Grados are a little constricted on soundstage and edge into brightness so i find it hard to use them for a long listen. Also they are not the most comfortable and I would always seem to go for my T90s over them and as i did want a closed back set i had to sacrifice them. I am almost set to buy the PM-3 which i felt were the best match out there but i am holding out to try some Sennheiser Momentums simply because they have that extra bit of portability so i can move them around the house and use on the train a tad easier than the Oppo. However they have a lot to beat so we will see.

I am also tempted by the Oppo HA-2 amplifier - it never ends !

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have one last option i am looking into and it goes like this ...

The Oppo PM-3 would give me another excellent home headphone alongside my T90s at a similar value but the fact is - will i really want to take it out and about on the train given its cost and value ? When it comes to it i suspect i will be a little reluctant to risk damage / loss. So if it becomes another home use headphone why will i use it more than the T90s and will i face the same dilemma i had with the Grados ?

I am certainly concerned about having two similarly priced highish value phones, and i am thinking about the Beyerdynamic Custom One. The reason is it is a fun headphone to play around with, with customisable bass (useful at times), and options to change its looks - hence it becomes a good side item to the T90s to mess about with. I would be less concerned about travelling with it and the bonus is that the price is low enough to enable me to get a Oppo HA-2 to use with it and also when i want to play music outside of the lounge where my main set up is located.

The more i think on this the more i like the idea - trouble is i have never heard one. Anyone have a view on these ?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
I have one last option i am looking into and it goes like this ...

The Oppo PM-3 would give me another excellent home headphone alongside my T90s at a similar value but the fact is - will i really want to take it out and about on the train given its cost and value ? When it comes to it i suspect i will be a little reluctant to risk damage / loss. So if it becomes another home use headphone why will i use it more than the T90s and will i face the same dilemma i had with the Grados ?

I am certainly concerned about having two similarly priced highish value phones, and i am thinking about the Beyerdynamic Custom One. The reason is it is a fun headphone to play around with, with customisable bass (useful at times), and options to change its looks - hence it becomes a good side item to the T90s to mess about with. I would be less concerned about travelling with it and the bonus is that the price is low enough to enable me to get a Oppo HA-2 to use with it and also when i want to play music outside of the lounge where my main set up is located.

The more i think on this the more i like the idea - trouble is i have never heard one. Anyone have a view on these ?

I would get the T70p for a very hi-fi sound - the Custom One Pro is far, far below the T70p in quality. The T70p would compete very well with the T90, but it has a fairly strong midrange emphasis. If you could suppress that a little, you'd be right up there with the T90. I got my T70p from Massdrop in the U.S., for $269 USD.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your input which has been helpful. Probably the hardest hifi decision i have had to make (building my main system seemed easier for some reason as i quickly found i liked certain brands). The T70p is probably too large to carry around and is also too similar to my main home set the T90s which i love. I would like to get something a bit different. Also i definately want over ear and not on ear phones.

I am now down to a choice between Oppo PM-3 and Sennheiser Momentum 2 (if i was sure the Momentum 1 would fit over my ears i would probably just get these as their price is now low). I have heard the Oppo and Momentum only very briefly. Oppo is probably the best for sound while Momentum best for looks and portability / train use (i am still concerned about taking a £349 headphone out and about and on the train with damage and loss potential). As such i am edging towards the £220 Momentum 2 over ear and putting the cost difference towards the HA-2. But i may yet change my mind. I like the idea of customising a bit and Momentum does have spare parts while Oppo basically wants you to return to base to change pads etc.

I will hopefully get to try out the Momentum 2 again at the weekend and then i will make my decision.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
Thanks for your input which has been helpful. Probably the hardest hifi decision i have had to make (building my main system seemed easier for some reason as i quickly found i liked certain brands). The T70p is probably too large to carry around and is also too similar to my main home set the T90s which i love. I would like to get something a bit different. Also i definately want over ear and not on ear phones.

I am now down to a choice between Oppo PM-3 and Sennheiser Momentum 2 (if i was sure the Momentum 1 would fit over my ears i would probably just get these as their price is now low). I have heard the Oppo and Momentum only very briefly. Oppo is probably the best for sound while Momentum best for looks and portability / train use (i am still concerned about taking a £349 headphone out and about and on the train with damage and loss potential). As such i am edging towards the £220 Momentum 2 over ear and putting the cost difference towards the HA-2. But i may yet change my mind. I like the idea of customising a bit and Momentum does have spare parts while Oppo basically wants you to return to base to change pads etc.

I will hopefully get to try out the Momentum 2 again at the weekend and then i will make my decision.

Probably one of the worst things done to headphone shoppers was creating the ambiguous (useless) term "over ear", which in some views means "around ear", but doesn't always deliver. That confusion favors the manufacturers, since a certain percentage of buyers will pass the item on to others rather than return it.

AlexHolsgrove

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
crusaderlord said:

I'd be interested to hear how you compare the Momentum 2 (I am comaring the Wireless version of these) to the Oppo PM3. I have (my first) forum post on here asking for help comparing both sets - also against the Shure SRH1540s plus the B&W and B&W over ear models. Did you like the P7s?

I've just sent my PM3s back as the cable doesn't seem to connect well with the headphone socket and was causing me to lose signal in one or both ears. Very frustrating as the fit was so comfortable. I found I preferred the sound from the Momentum 2 - they sounded better in the mid to treble range and had more bass, although the PM3 seemed to give better detail in the bass, but with less punch.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

I found I preferred the sound from the Momentum 2 - they sounded better in the mid to treble range and had more bass, although the PM3 seemed to give better detail in the bass, but with less punch.

[/quote]

i would agree completely with your summary - the Momentum 2 (but around ear not on ear and not the version 1) is slightly better or more vibrant in the mid and treble with a bit more kick to the drums. However the bass is slightly more bloated and the PM3 is better here. I personally think at current prices you get that bit more for your money with the Oppo but the Momentum is the value all rounder as it works better than the Oppo when just conntected to the iphone (using an amp may push the Oppo further ahead). The Momentum also folds up but still sounds excellent to use at home. If portability and value for money is a higher priority than home use with an amplifier then i personally chose the Momentums.

The B&W P7 is a good headphone, it is very similar to the Oppo really in its sound quality standards but has more of a bass bulge (bass stands out a little more), and it is very clear and detailed and nice to listen to. I just found i preferred the flatter Oppo sound, and also the Oppo definiately wins on comfort, the P7 is quite a solid feeling headphone not as soft and plush.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I had a very successful day in London and over two hours i tried out a large selection of closed back headphones models from B&O, Sennheiser, Shure, Oppo, V-Moda, Sony, Audio Technica, B&W and also tried against the Grado which i recently sold just to make sure i hadnt made a huge mistake. Whilst the demo on each one was around 10 minutes so not overly long it was great to move between them to work out which ones i liked the best.

I wont be able to list them all but here are is a quick summary of ones i didnt really like which may help understand what i do like. Beats and V-Moda were bass full but muddy and lacked definition and clarity. Shure was very good but the highest price and i didnt feel they were worth the extra cost. B&O has a severe V shaped presentation where the upper bass and low mids were notably lacking compared to other makes.

So based on a balance of sound, comfort and price here were my top 3 ...

3. Oppo PM-3 - as expected from my previous demo these still shine. Lovely and clear, superbly comfortable with good bass and it is hard not to be impressed or happy with these. The build is lovely and the comfort was the best of all i tried. The sound does have a very very slightly flatter feel when doing back to back comparisons (i am not sure you would notice if you didnt keep switching between headphones), and i dont mean unenjoyable just not over lively but the integration through bass, mid, treble is wonderful. Two downsides are the price at £350 and it is hard to find these dicounted at all at the moment so thats the benchmark price, and i did find that my itouch required almost full volume to be at the right level so they may well be better with an amplifier. I would still be slightly worried about taking these out on the train and i still like my Beyerdynamic T90s more and so those are my home reference ones. So these just missed out but if i didnt have the T90s and wanted a one set only all rounder for home and portable use then these would be it.

2. Audio Technica MSR7 - this was the surprise package, a lovely looking headphone, and nice and soft padding, so comfortable too. i really liked these, they are clear and detailed and their distinction from others was a slightly less fullsome and slightly thinner sound especially in the bass. This for some would discount them but i felt i could push the volume a tad more and everything sounded really well balanced and nice to listen to. Vocals are really clear and enjoyable and the treble is quoted on some reviews as bright, and yes it is more airy than most but i didnt find them as sharp as the Grados to be honest. These currently are available at £145 ish and i think they are a bit of a bargain at that price. They are possibly the complete opposites to V-Moda really in sound and they are worth trying if you like detail over less thumping bass. A similar headphone to this is the Sony MDR1 but i felt the Audio Technica just seemed a tad nicer but it was close.

1. Sennheiser Momentum 2 - i managed to try these against the version one around ear which i was pleased to do, the version 1 really does have a small cup size and as a glasses wearer they pushed slightly on the upper ear and as a result were eliminated despite their low cost (so glad i didnt order and hope on those). The version 2 is much better, not just for the ear cups but the sound is better too. There is a much clearer vocals resolution to the newer version and a better kick and punch to the drums. Bass is deep and fairly strong, it is slightly more emphasised than both the Oppo and Audio Technica but remains just below what i would find too much for me overall and it doesnt overcome the midrange. The vocals, mids and treble are amazing, so clear and detailed with a lovely shine and even getting close to what the Grados do with their vocals which sound like someone is whispering directly to you. I was very impressed, my only gripe i could find was that the top headband is not as nicely padded like the other two. Looks are top class, they look expensive and have a case and fold up too and pretty much do everything you would want from a portable set. They retail for £270 but there are bargains to be had (but dont get confused between version 1 and on ear which are cheaper but less good).

The clincher in the end was a sudden price drop this morning on the Sennheiser Momentum 2s, a well known site was selling for £180 and that price being almost half the Oppo and close to the Audio Technica put it into the 'get it now' bracket. Yes the price may even drop further (or may go back up) but i think the value at that price after all the demos was the best of all of them. I cant justify the Oppos at the price difference at the moment and the great news is i can probably save a bit more and get the Oppo HA-2 amp as well now. You cant beat a good demo though it really helps you work out what you like.

My journey is over for now and it has been really fun !

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I think if you ignore style, portability and cost then i would say the Oppo has the best sound overall. This is particularly true of the bass which is clearer and goes deeper and is more well defined. The Sennheiser does have some upper mid range vibrancy though which is quite lovely.

I would have liked to get the Oppos but i have now sourced and new Sennheiser Momentum 2 plus a 2nd hand hardly used Oppo HA-2 for the same price as the Oppo PM-3 so i have to be pretty happy with that.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Well i have been listening to the Sennheiser Momentum 2 and Oppo HA-2 for a few days and i am extremely pleased.

Both items look and feel lovely to me. I bought the brown Momentums, and their build and looks are admirable. The earpads are extremely soft and comfortable and the version 2 were definately the right ones for me and they fit completely around my ears and dont press on my glasses which i hate. Sound escape is pretty much non existent unless you a really really trying to hear it. I do quite like just picking them up and admiring them at the moment - they are great looking phones. The HA-2 also feels like a quality item in your hand, it looks neat is easy to carry around from room to room or out of the house. It is also quick to charge up and has lovely green lighting when in use. Neither items are cheap to buy but i feel i have something worth it when i look at them.

Let go to the sound. Taking them as they are and not comparing to other items i find the quality of sound excellent. Simply press play on my itouch with apple music and even given the file streaming limitations i do not find myself thinking anything other than this sounds really very good through the Oppo. So far my main system fills the CD or higher res requirement, but this portable combination is fantastic alongside. Now if i do directly compare to my Beyerdynamic T90 and Graham Slee then they win, however for a closed back headphone the Momentums sound lovely. The Oppo does have a slightly warm sound, you wont get any glare with this, but it is all clear and well defined. I dont ever need the bass boost at all though - the normal level with Momentum is more than sufficient. When you are streaming files you will get some poor ones for sure, sometimes i do jump to the in built itouch equaliser to change things such as add a tad more treble or reduce the bass (there are enough presets to find one that helps) but mostly you wont need it.

The above thread will reveal i sold my Grados to get these, i feel this was the right move (whew). The grados do have clear as bell resolution but it was always a touch over zealous for me. Tracks i found harsh before i now dont have any issue with, the combined very slight treble roll off of the Momentum and warmish Oppo takes take of this. But still i get all the clarity i need and i also like the bass better in the Momentum, i always found it not quite deep enough with the grado but it was very rhythmical. I do not feel it is a downstep in sound to use the Momentum, and i find the Momentum infinately more comfortable and also portable if i need travel with it. I would say that if you like your treble bright and cymbals to really crash you may find this combination slightly warm. I am very happy as i dont like these to overwhelm.

Finally I love the fact that i can pick up these 3 items (itouch/momentum/oppo) move to any room in the house and still keep listening when my wife wants to watch the main tv, i can go sit in the conservatory or garden, it doesnt matter. Also it doesnt take up space, i just keep all of them on my bedside table. My original goal to get a more flexible back up headphone set up i feel has been achieved. Thank you to all those who input to this - i enjoyed the journey.

I see the new Momentum 2 price has quickly gone back up to around £220 rather than £180, i got lucky for sure, but even at £220 i would have been happy with them due to their sound and build quality. Only let down, if i can find one is the cable, i like a more chunky one rather than the provided thin one to use to talk with too - but i can replace this eventually.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Well i thought i would add an update to my 18 month old post about my headphone journey...

My travelling time reduced dramatically over the last year, such that closed back headphones became less of an importance to me, and most of my hi-fi set up has remained unchanged since early 2016, with one exception.

Over time i found the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 a little less to my liking, it is hard to put into words but against my Beyerdynamics T90 i found it had a slightly modified sound, especially the bass which is a little boosted and the treble a little recessed at the top end. I lived with this for a long while and was pretty happy too (they remain great headphones) but as my need to have closed back dimished i could not help wish again for my old grados - they were not perfect for all recordings, even a little too bright at times, but with some more of my more muddied or darker albums, i remembered these just pulled out the detail and clarity like no others i have owned. Also female vocals were so good.

Eventually i couldnt resist returning to the Grado 325e, picking up a 2nd hand set to check i wasnt just remembering with tinted ears, and then deciding to sell on my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. They are very different headphones, and to be fair are largely for different uses, but it was great to have my Grados back, that is for sure. I think what i like most is that they are complimentary to the T90's rather than a competitor, different music or recordings lend themselves to one or the other, i am slowly working out which albums i prefer to use with each.

Anyway i thought i would update my journey, and revisit on the forum my fondness for the Grado 325e. You may wonder why i didnt sell both my headphones and get one even more expensive set. Well i like the choice to be honest, i find the price bracket of the T90 and 325e a bit of a sweet spot for value v cost (for my own wallet and ears anyway) and i really do find that some albums need one or the headphones over the other. With one set i may be concerned that some recording were never really delivering.

Happy to hear others thoughts, if i was going back to long train journeys again then i still rate the Sennheisers, but for home listening i decided to change. I have still kept the Oppo HA-2 which is still a lovely little dac and amp which i use with my desktop PC or phone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts