Class-T Amp or better?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey,

Would it be better to buy one of those class-T amps like the sonic impact t-amp gen2 for £60 and spend £300 on decent speakers or £200 on a normal amp and £200 on speakers? I don't need high wattage for this system at all, just great sound.

I considered the Virtue Audio Virtue.One as a comprimise (reviews make it sound excellent!) but i am unable to find it here in the UK.

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

I have the first generation sonic impact t-amp, but found the sound way to hard for my ears - speaker matching of vital importance, it's not an all-rounder. Also, it doesn't do loud at all and distorts fairly easily, so you'd want efficient speakers.

The pluses are a sense of scale, good dynamics, and moments when the music seems to hang in the air.

It's also limited on inputs to the one mini jack, which I think is the same with the gen 2.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the quick reply!

i dont mind it not being too loud, its the music quality im looking for

my room is about 4 metres by 3 metres so i dont need volume that loud, however the distortion doesnt sound nice...

what speakers would you recommend?

A

Anonymous

Quick question I meant to ask before: what are you using as your source? a computer? If so, the lack of inputs won't be a problem.

A

Anonymous

primarily a computer but i dont mind manually switching between sources if nessessary

thank you

A

Anonymous

You would need sensitive speakers, warm sounding speakers, as I said. Best bet would be to take the amp, if you buy one, and get demos at your local dealers.

The Q-acoustics range would be good, albeit not the 1010i as its less sensitive than the others. The Tannoys also, though the F1 is borderline in terms of sensitivity. I think the Monitor Audios would be too bright but listen anyway. Can't comment on other speakers as I haven't heard them.

Wouldn't go overboard on the speakers, though. Unless it's a mac, pcs aren't generally brilliant sources, but that does depend on the sound card.

A

Anonymous

My soundcard is an M-Audio audiophile 2496, its relatively cheap (about £40 to £50) im very pleased with it though my KEF celestes

anyway thanks very much i will check them out

A

Anonymous

Kef Celestes? Do you mean the compact speakers from the 1980s?

A

Anonymous

naa they are celeste IVs i wouldnt really call them compact to be honest... haha

i know they arnt that good but i like them and they were free so i have no complaints

A

Anonymous

The Celestes aren't bad speakers at all. I'd listen to the T-amp through them first before thinking of buying anything else - they're actually, at least according to the specs, a good match: http://www.kef.com/history/1980/celeste4.asp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts