Chord Ultima 5

Friesiansam

Given the text of the review, I don't understand; "Against: Not as muscular sounding as some rivals"

It seems from the review that it is muscular when it needs to be and, not when it doesn't need to be. Surely that is a positive, not a negative?

Given the text of the review, I don't understand; "Against: Not as muscular sounding as some rivals"

It seems from the review that it is muscular when it needs to be and, not when it doesn't need to be. Surely that is a positive, not a negative?
You’re right in your analysis of the way the review is written, imho. It also might be a slightly tactful way to convey that it sounds like most Chord products, namely never the least warm or rich. They’re very accurate, but nobody who comments on them ever says they lack detail or brilliance. And judging by the number of used DACs on eBay they are probably ‘too much’ for many ears.
A similar comment is often levied at my ATC speakers, which some think convey too much information. Obviously they’re just right for me!

The first time I heard the scm40’s I thought the bass was just right but less than I was expecting. Most people have become accustomed to some form of bass hump around the 80hz region.
Exactly, they are familiar with ported speakers’ bass hump. A nicely tailored roll off, enhanced by room placement plays much better pitch, clarity and evenness ime.

Reactions: Sliced Bread

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Guilty ✋
Took me an age and three subwoofer cycles to figure this out.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the naming, misunderstanding of filters, and the fact that you have a single frequency selection in the crossover settings in A/V receivers.

1) Technically the control on the subwoofer is not a crossover, it's just a low pass filter
2) These filters aren't brick-wall
3) In A/V receiver settings, these crossover points are preset, with the LPF and HPFs internally decided and applied to achieve that

Reactions: Sliced Bread

Sliced Bread

Yes very true. Set it too high and you’re just doubling up.

A helpful article from Rel noted that a subwoofers first job is to get out of the way of the main speakers. I’d now rather have a slight dip in the cutover than attempt an overlap. It sound s so much cleaner and more natural

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts