CHORD SPA-1032 vs Bryston 4BSST

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Am planing to upgrade from Cyrus X powers in mono to something higher on the hifi chain. something that can drive my ATC SCM11 properly specially after I tried them with the Perreaux Elequence 250. these speaker can really sing and viberate the air when fed sufficient power.

I also have a second pair of PMC Fb1i and my pre Dac is perreaux dp32. am considering either Bryston 4BSST as I heared it is a good match for the PMC or Chord SPA-1032 I have a good offer for a used one.

Need you help please.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the Perreaux an option? Saw one on offer at Audio Emotion on offer if so.
I haven't heard either of the others, but from what I've read they are both powerful units and either should do the job.
Personally, I think
I'd go for the Bryston... no noisy fan, convection cooling.
However, always best, if you can, to get home demo with both.
Keep us posted how you get on.
Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Plus one for the Bryston 4bSST ,.
Or if you fancy something a little different / better ( in my opinion :) ) then an Electrocompaniet AW 250R will drive any speaker you choose effortlessly and sound fantastic . The AW250 has a deeper more powerful sound than the Bryston with a more delicate quality in the midrange and it also drives difficult loads a little better than the Bryston .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/classic/poweramp/aw250r.html

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried the perreaux earlier it's a great amp indeedwith lots of grunt specially on high volumes.but then it didn't suite my listening so I moved on.

Now I only have these two options in a good price. and demo is not possible. so anyone have an experience with these?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I actually got to hear the Bryston during the course of last week.

I was faintly disappointed, I expected effortless power delivery, which I really did not get and the performance was a bit 'mechanical', the music really did not flow as I would expect.

For that kind of money I would have expected something more.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, don't mean to add to your confusion here but I honestly think the 4BSST is over rated. I've had an audition with some very pricey dynaudio speakers and bryston's top of the line power amp. To be honest I couldn't see what the fuss was about. The XLR cables between the pre and power alone cost 1400 pounds which is about the same as my Cayin amp. I was shocked that the system cost so much tbh. It was quite warm with lots of power but it just didn't suck me in. I would strongly suggest that if you are still considering the demo atleast have an audition first. I've heard PMC 27s with Electrocompanient amplifiers and they were just magic, there was detail, the sound was clean clear but not analytical. Vocals were sublime for a transistor amp. I'm guessing since you have the Cyrus power amps that is the sort of thing that you were aiming for. With regards to your ATC, I'm afraid I can't be of much help as I haven't heard the brand. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shafin.

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys, this is really helpful, it's not confusing rather than it just emphasize on the importance of auditioning before making a decision. regarding the Cyrus sound am actually looking for warmer sound this time and more musical, but not as warm as Naim, same details speed and more bass and sweeter highs.

Arranging audition is not possible here, so have to arrange for a trip, and Electrompanient will also be considered.

Still any opinions will be helpful. what about Chord? and if this is the case where did the Bryston get all the good reputation from?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Any Chord stuff I've ever heard was far too forward and analytical for my taste......I'm more in the direction of Electrocompaniet, Sugden, Musical Fidelity, Audio Analogue. Unison Research and Pathos.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Having heard a bit of the higher end Chord recently, I can't say that I have found it bright. I found it a little smoother than Bryston, and have only ever heard Chord sound bright on B&W 800 series - but then, you'd expect that really.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Having heard a bit of the higher end Chord recently, I can't say that I have found it bright. I found it a little smoother than Bryston, and have only ever heard Chord sound bright on B&W 800 series - but then, you'd expect that really.

Which is exactly why I am uncomfortable providing anything other than suggestions for a demo list....there's too many variables, only one of which is taste.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Might not be on quite the same Level as the amps you mention but for a fraction of the price you can can get not too far with a Quad 909, I've used one for a year or so and cannot fault it. There are loads of decent used example for around £500-600, the replacement is the Elite and is around £1,200 is memory serves me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts