Chord Rumour versus Odyssey?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The cable bug bites again.

After extensive reading up, I bought a set of Chord Rumour speaker cables for my system on a trip to the UK (they aren't distributed here in South Africa) and, thankfully, they worked excellently in it. My only tiny qualm was a bass-shyness that was not a problem with VDH Clearwater cables. Trying the VDH CS122, the bass it unleashed was room-resonating and heavy-handed. My question is: reasonably, does the Odyssey retain Rumour's characteristics, but with a better helping of bass?

A

Anonymous

The only comment I can pass is that when I upgraded from Chord Carnival Silver Plus biwire to Odyssey 2 (single wire) there was definitely more bass extension.

A

Anonymous

When i asked about speaker cable Gerrardasnails said he'd upgraded from the Rumour to the Odyssey and wouldn't go back.

edited: to correct Mr G's name

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:When i asked about speaker cable Gerrardsnails (hope i spelt that right) said he'd upgraded from the Rumour to the Odyssey and wouldn't go back.

That's right Fast Eddie. The Odyssey is top drawer. Solid performer, great bass (well I have got a bassy system) and it would work with very pricey systems it's that good. The Rumour is good and I noticed a step up from the QED XTube I had before that. I would get good interconnects too to go with the Odyssey.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:and it would work with very pricey systems it's that good

You think it would suit my new one? I have a feeling the Epics that are cheap at the moment will rocket on the day.

A

Anonymous

zimble01:The cable bug bites again.

After extensive reading up, I bought a set of Chord Rumour speaker cables for my system on a trip to the UK (they aren't distributed here in South Africa)

Hi Zimble, see if you can contact Scottsonix C.C. in South Africa,(+27) 11 7883877 or (+27) 11 4422354 if you want to try them out or perhaps a point in the direction of stockists. Also, check out http://www.hifiinstallations.co.za/ if you're in the Pretoria area, I know they keep some as well.

A

Anonymous

zimble01:Trying the VDH CS122, the bass it unleashed was room-resonating and heavy-handed.

I have MA GR20s, and found the bass plodding, a little boomy and incapable of carrying tuneful bass; notes turn to blur into one indistinct low-frequency fug. At the time, MA was using Chord Odyssey to develop its product and the chap I spoke to there recommended I swap. Wouldn't go back. Bass is taut, deep and agile.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for all the comments.

sivanessen:
Hi Zimble, see if you can contact Scottsonix C.C. in South Africa,(+27) 11 7883877 or (+27) 11 4422354 if you want to try them out or perhaps a point in the direction of stockists. Also, check out http://www.hifiinstallations.co.za/ if you're in the Pretoria area, I know they keep some as well.

Many thanks, Sivanessen, for these suggestions. If only Chord would list them on their site!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:I would get good interconnects too to go with the Odyssey.

Do you mean the Chorus?

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:zimble01:Gerrardasnails:I would get good interconnects too to go with the Odyssey.

Do you mean the Chorus?

You don't have to go to the Chorus but the Chameleon Silver Plus is very good.

Before spending money on new (more expensive) speaker cables and interconnects I would get some on free demo from a dealer.
In blind tests I found very little (and in most cases no) difference between cables regardless of cost.
The only cable to make an appreciable difference was upgraded mains cable - but thats another debate entirely!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:Gerrardasnails:and it would work with very pricey systems it's that good

You think it would suit my new one? I have a feeling the Epics that are cheap at the moment will rocket on the day.

For sure.

What lengths do you need? If it's just 2m or so, I would go for this one as they are unterminated and people don't tend to go for them unless they see Chord's banana plugs on the end!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHORD-EPIC-TWIN-SPEAKER-CABLE_W0QQitemZ280292038819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item280292038819&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

A

Anonymous

Ideally 5m, but if these are still cheap nearer the end of the auction i may just grab them and move the hifi. :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:Ideally 5m, but if these are still cheap nearer the end of the auction i may just grab them and move the hifi. :)

I've bought from this seller before.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Epic-Speaker-Cable-5M-Pair-4mm-Terminated_W0QQitemZ160303756953QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item160303756953&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts