Question Chord Qutest additional linear power supply

503PL

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Is anyone had a chance to upgrade Qutest with external Power Supply?
What/ If any changes?
Is anyone tested Tomanek? Or you have some confirmed Chinesse sources?
I've already bought external power supply for Rassbery.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Food for thought from Rob Watts himself:

“Actually my advice is that the supplied PSU is as good as a battery supply (based on my listening with my set-up -YMMV) - which gives the lowest amount of RF noise - and that LPS supplies is likely to sound worse, as they are often transparent to RF noise from the mains - the supplied switcher has RF filters. My advice is to try a USB battery bank, and if it sounds identical to the supplied PSU, then don't bother "upgrading" with a LPS...

The hard bright sound is characteristic of more random RF noise entering your system, creating more noise floor modulation, which makes it sound brighter, and if bad, harder and grainy.”

I'm using a Hugo 2 and, to be perfectly frank, have found Rob's advice to be pretty spot on, saving me some dosh.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi Guys,

Is anyone had a chance to upgrade Qutest with external Power Supply?
What/ If any changes?
Is anyone tested Tomanek? Or you have some confirmed Chinesse sources?
I've already bought external power supply for Rassbery.

I use the Qutest and i concur with Rob Watts statement above for the amount the power supplies can cost its not worth the extra outlay. Having said that Ifi does one for 50quid which is much better built than the one that comes with the Qutest. I have one because I found it cheap on eBay but wouldn't by it full price it really did nothing to the sound, bought it purely for the build, cost me a 10'er in total.

BUT running it off battery power is a completely different argument. I really dose step the sound up quite considerably but is a proper hassle to run this way.

Though before spending money on that id make sure you have your pie up to scratch using the correct HATs and not using the USBs that are actually on the standard pie. eg Allodigi one style

EDIT, OH do yourself a favour don't buy anything from China that hasn't been CE or certified safe you're asking for trouble whether they're made in the same factory or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts