Chord Company interconnects with Marantz PM6005

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of replacing my old QED interconnects with Chord Company. I contacted them and they recommended Chord Cobra VEE 3 or Chord Chameleon VEE3 with my Marantz separates.

Has anyone experience with these? Are they maybe too expensive for my kit?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It's quite amazing that Chord Company would recommend their expensive interconnects isn't it? *shok*

Stick with what you have, you'll hear absolutely no difference in sound between your QED cables and Chord Companies even more expensive ones, and spend the money saved on some good music instead.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I've had pleasing results with the chord cobra cables using marantz equipment. It was an improvement from the Merlin cables I had previously.

Now I'm off behind the couch!

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
if you want to play around with cables, buy a relatively cheap cable made of LC-OFC copper and one that has a silver content

they do sound different on the same system

Listen to a few cd's with both cables, compare and see what sounds best .... then you can buy a better made cable with either copper or silver ...

there are also a few that have both copper and silver content (like Van Den Hul Clearwater)

but no need to overspend... I doubt that you will hear much difference between cables made of the same content with the same connectors (unless you have super hearing)

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
dim_span said:
if you want to play around with cables, buy a relatively cheap cable made of LC-OFC copper and one that has a silver content

There is no evidence for that assertion.

my own ears heard a difference between copper and silver speaker cables on my own system (my previous system) .... but I could not hear differences in cables made of the same (either copper or silver)

on my system, silver was too bright and some s's sounded like z's (especially in the track by Prince ... Purple Rain)

TrevC

dim_span said:
TrevC said:
dim_span said:

my own ears heard a difference between copper and silver speaker cables on my own system (my previous system) .... but I could not hear differences in cables made of the same (either copper or silver)

on my system, silver was too bright and some s's sounded like z's (especially in the track by Prince ... Purple Rain)

I've encountered people that claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus, so your delusions are pretty tame.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
With very few exceptions all competently made interconnects and speaker cables will sound the same for very solid well understood technical reasons.

However when you replace these cables with a different / better one, you most probably will hear a difference, pretty much everyone does.

The question you have to ask yourself is this. What is causing the difference that I can so clearly hear?

Many enthusiasts will claim that, since the only thing that has been changed is the cables, the cables must be causing the difference, logical but flawed.

Other things have changed too, most importantly your expectation has changed and also your listening 'practice' will have changed too. These are known, proven effects that has an effect on what you hear, remove them from the equation by listening to a third party conducted blind test and the differences dissapear.

I understand that this is difficult to understand, the differences are so obvious that they must be real, is the usual reaction. I accept that such a test is quite difficult to arrange so as an indication of just how easily your ears can be fooled, take a look and listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
dim_span said:
TrevC said:
dim_span said:

I've encountered people that claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus, so your delusions are pretty tame.

Hmmmm ... maybe you are right .... must of been all those mushrooms I ate

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dim_span said:
TrevC said:
dim_span said:
TrevC said:
dim_span said:

Hmmmm ... maybe you are right .... must of been all those mushrooms I ate

Or synaesthesia?

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/synaesthesia/

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
With very few exceptions all competently made interconnects and speaker cables will sound the same for very solid well understood technical reasons.

However when you replace these cables with a different / better one, you most probably will hear a difference, pretty much everyone does.

The question you have to ask yourself is this. What is causing the difference that I can so clearly hear?

Many enthusiasts will claim that, since the only thing that has been changed is the cables, the cables must be causing the difference, logical but flawed.

Other things have changed too, most importantly your expectation has changed and also your listening 'practice' will have changed too. These are known, proven effects that has an effect on what you hear, remove them from the equation by listening to a third party conducted blind test and the differences dissapear.

I understand that this is difficult to understand, the differences are so obvious that they must be real, is the usual reaction. I accept that such a test is quite difficult to arrange so as an indication of just how easily your ears can be fooled, take a look and listen to this.

So this is mostly psychological thing. If you think the sound has improved, your goal has been reached?

SteveR750

stefanom said:
davedotco said:

So this is mostly psychological thing. If you think the sound has improved, your goal has been reached?

I think this has a significant impact on our purchase decisions on many things, not just audio. If we genuinely believe it is the best for us, our own specific need, then it IS right; this must have a bearing on what we think we hear.

By thew way, Chebby do you know what the significance of the coloured letters is in deonstrating this? Everyone in my household sees coloured letters, ergo we're all synaesthetes!

EDIT: meant to quote Chebby's post, dunno wot happened like.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
stefanom said:
davedotco said:

Sometimes, but because the effect is, in many cases illusory, the 'satisfaction' quickly wears off. The internet is full of stories of people making these changes, 'hearing' the improvements then reverting to their old setup down the line.

There are things in hi-fi that make a real difference and are important, working out what they are is the trick.

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I'm just wondering how many of these hard core just-simple-copper anycable preachers actualy have this ever greatest, simply stranded, resistively non-different yes copper cables in their shiny systems.

I would go with the Chord Chamelleon V3. It's nice for Denon and Marantz, very transparent with excellent highs and "attacking" bass.

Alternatively, you can buy a run of aerial coax, two pairs of RCA plugs and built one for yourself. But it'll do sound different to the say Chord one.

Choice is yours.

TrevC

jerryapril@msn.com said:
Hmm, I'm just wondering how many of these hard core just-simple-copper anycable preachers actualy have this ever greatest, simply stranded, resistively non-different yes copper cables in their shiny systems.

I would go with the Chord Chamelleon V3. It's nice for Denon and Marantz, very transparent with excellent highs and "attacking" bass.

Alternatively, you can buy a run of aerial coax, two pairs of RCA plugs and built one for yourself. But it'll do sound different to the say Chord one.

Choice is yours.

What is 'attacking bass', and how on earth can a short length of wire provide it?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
jerryapril@msn.com said:

Choice is yours.

What is 'attacking bass', and how on earth can a short length of wire provide it?

The cable 'moves' the electrons faster at low frequencies.

TrevC

davedotco said:
TrevC said:
jerryapril@msn.com said:

Choice is yours.

The cable 'moves' the electrons faster at low frequencies.

*biggrin*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Can we please keep the thread on topic - there is a thread for sarcastic comments related to negativity towards cables - that was setup deliberatly to stop such comments being needed in threads like this - you know who you are.

To the op I am amazed one person has said yes you will - normally they dont get a chance.

You need to try for yourself - depending on some factors I would be surprised if you heard no difference, depsite the usual mob on here jumping on the thread.

If your uncertain take yours into a dealer or get a home demo - dont be scared to ask for this.

Then trust your own judgement - dont let people put you off trying.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Can we please keep the thread on topic - there is a thread for sarcastic comments related to negativity towards cables - that was setup deliberatly to stop such comments being needed in threads like this - you know who you are.

To the op I am amazed one person has said yes you will - normally they dont get a chance.

You need to try for yourself - depending on some factors I would be surprised if you heard no difference, depsite the usual mob on here jumping on the thread.

If your uncertain take yours into a dealer or get a home demo - dont be scared to ask for this.

Then trust your own judgement - dont let people put you off trying.

You really are not getting this are you?

Of course I hear differences when I swap cables, pretty much everyone does. This is not about whether we can hear a difference, but what causes us to hear a difference.

We know, via hundreds and hundreds of experiments, that our senses are not reliable in all manner of ways, people, when tested see and hear things differently, this is the way we are.

In this particular instance the proposition is simple.

When comparing cables in a sighted test, the differences that we hear are far, far more likely to be due to psycological reasons than any changes in the cable itself. Despite all the evidence that supports this view, some people simply don't believe that they can be so easily mislead by their own senses.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You dont get it actually Dave.co.

Look at the thread title - he does not ask anything other than has anyone had experiences with those 2 sets of cables - and there are hardly any actual reponss from you or anyone else is related to that question and already its several pages long thread - this stops anyone with experience posting - this is not fair or good

Already its a do and dont debate and that is not what is being asked for - its at the point of ridiculous now on this forum that every cable thread turns into this.

on your point the science is irrelevant and your point similar - all that matters is what the op hears and knows - if he wants to try chord cables fair play to him!!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You dont get it actually Dave.co.

Look at the thread title - he does not ask anything other than has anyone had experiences with those 2 sets of cables - and there are hardly any actual reponss from you or anyone else is related to that question and already its several pages long thread - this stops anyone with experience posting - this is not fair or good

Already its a do and dont debate and that is not what is being asked for - its at the point of ridiculous now on this forum that every cable thread turns into this.

on your point the science is irrelevant and your point similar - all that matters is what the op hears and knows - if he wants to try chord cables fair play to him!!

Ellisdj. You are quite correct, I really don't get it.

Why would you want to have a thread that encourages people to listen an make up their own minds without discussing all the factors that apply to their decision making process?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You are unbelievable honestly - think about it - if he wanted all the facts such as yours he only needs to look at the 5 other threads with the same stuff in on the first page of the forum..... Its awash with it

Amazingly he might actually want some genuine feedback from experience - imagine that one......

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Who are the people who push the agenda of huge qualitative vs quantitative differences in cables, amplifiers and digital sources and refuse to accept any scientific evidence of the opposite?

1) Elitists

2) Shills

3) Trolls

No normal person is that invested in defending an agenda. I bought audio foo, many of us bought audio foo but when evidence was presented to us, we said hmm, is there something to that, have I been wasting my money on placebo? Investigate further, test for yourself and you come to the conclusion indeed I've drank the koolaid a bit, maybe I should be more cautious next time. No one likes to be scammed. At the worst scenario normal people ignore such debates and enjoy their blingy snake oil rubbed gear. They just default to "It may or may not make a difference but I hear one and it looks cool, OK? Now lay off".

Who will defend the opposite agenda of properly designed cables, amps and digital sources at budget prices are no better or worse than gear with premium prices?

1) Acoustic and Electronic Engineers

2) Consumers who paid their snake oil salesman in the past but learned from their mistakes. They began using their brain and not just their ears directly coupled to their ego and wallet.

I am no engineer, I simply bought audio foo and learned the hard (expensive) way. I enjoy throwing poo at elitists, shills and trolls. Out of which the trolls are dear to me because they entertain us.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You are unbelievable honestly - think about it - if he wanted all the facts such as yours he only needs to look at the 5 other threads with the same stuff in on the first page of the forum..... Its awash with it

Amazingly he might actually want some genuine feedback from experience - imagine that one......

Presumably from those enthusiasts who are totally immune from expectation bias, placebo effect and the other psycological factors that come into play when auditioning audio.

As for your mantra of 'listen for yourself and make up your own mind', I would agree with that 100%.

If it is done blind......!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts