chord cobra 3 sound better then the chord chameleon silver plus ???

anis93

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
hi guys,

i need some advise i got some chord cobra 3 connected between a cd player marantz cd63 mkii ki signature and a amplifier sansui 7700 AU

and when i switch with the chord chameleon silver plus , i feel the cobra sound more balanced and the high frequency are less harsh.

how come ?

also i will to upgrade my interconnec chord cable for something more organic and more liquid with a smooth treble , an accurate medium and punchy bass but as to sound naturel. i tried the tellurium q bleu , he sound accurate and naturel but the cable is lack of bass and medium.

any advise?

my speakers are kef 103/4.

Based on price alone the Chameleon should be a better cable. Now whether a silver cable is brighter than a copper one will come down IMO to room acoustics, as much as type of system. The reason why I say this is because I had some banana plugs fitted to my SilverScreen speaker cables, and I still have Carnival Silver Plus fitted. I'm struggling to reason why I changed in the first place TBH.

In a nutshell, a silver cable will be as good as a copper one, assuming the room isn't reflective.

EDIT - BTW, what kit do you have and how's the room set up?

anis93

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
thank for your reply, the room is ok, i think it s more about the sound presentation, the chameleon silver plus sound more like a live concert, the presentation is more open. the sound stage is bigger then the cobra , whitch is forme doesn t sound natural .i though for the price off the chameleon , i will get more precision, more transparent and organic typ off sound, unfortunately i get the opposite.

witch brand do you think will be suitable for my system?

anis93

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
i got 2 speakers kef 103/4 link with chord epic speakers cable, 2 monoblocks denon 4400a

marantz cd63 mkii ki signature - sansui 7700 amplifier use as a preamp with the denon monoblocks and a musicality x-10 v3 tube output buffer between the cd player and the sansui amplifier. the interconnect cable are few chord cobra 3 or few chord chameleon silver plus .

the room is a large room and the speakers are 5m from each other and 30cm from the wall , the monoblocks are at 1m from the speaker and the cd player , the amplifier and the buffer are at 3m from the speakers.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting reading. I upgraded to Chameleon from Cobra and following a/b testing (no not blind!), preferred the presentation of the Chameleon with my kit. I found the bass more controlled witha bit more top end zing.

Trust your ears and stick with the cobra if you prefer it :cheers:

anis93

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
yes i prefere the cobra but i need a better cable as i know where i listen my cd something is missing from the presentation , i love rock jazz motown rnb soul and funk and the presentation is too polite . i need more punch and less harsch treble.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the story / folklore (allegedly, etc. etc.) is that silver and / or silver-plated cables are more treble friendly than (all) copper ones. Both the Chord interconnects you mention have silver plated conductors, and since electrical theory tells us most of the signal is carried by the outside "skin" of the conductor, the silver plating could / should be significant.

You might find an all copper interconnect would suit you better, therefore, reducing the sibilance (hiss like a snake) of the treble.

abacus

The skin effect is only relevant at high frequencies; it has no relevance to the audio signals used in Hi Fi or home cinema. (It’s just a manufactures marketing ploy to get you to buy more expensive cables that make no difference to the sound)

Silver has a lower resistance per metre than copper, however over the distances used in Hi Fi the difference is pretty much none existence. (It’s just another ploy by manufactures to con you out of more money for no improvement in return)

Cable materials cannot affect the sound unless the resistance is so high that it reduces the signal to the equipment. (It cannot alter the frequency spectrum (Making it brighter or softer) without contravening the laws of physics)

If you have a problem with your system then sort out the problem with your system, and stop wasting money trying to change it with overpriced pointless cables.

Hope this helps

Bill

TrevC

The difference in interconnects is hugely exaggerated, and it's easy to copy the electrical characteristics (and therefore the sound) of a £1000 one for about a fiver. Whatever cable you use the differences are probably inaudible, relying on appearance alone.

IOW, don't be taken in by the silly hype.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Here we go again.... :)

FWIW I tend to agree and disagree about the value of interconnects in a system. I use higher priced, hopefully better quality (in the engineering sense) cables (a) because I like them (b) because I do think they help and (c) well, I can afford them (up to a point).

Mostly I personnally thinks its down as much to the quality of the plugs on the ends as it is to the cables in between, the way these are mated up to the cable, and the quality of the connections between the plugs and the sockets on the backs of the components as anything else. And in those respects I do think a decent set of interconnects with some TLC given to the plugs on the ends will show a marked difference over the freebies in the box or a set of cheap interconnects from the local high street - everything from toasters and washing machines to boomboxes - retailer (no prizes for guessing names).

I also think screening / shielding can be important, as let's face it, the backs of most of our set-ups wouldn't win prizes for neat wiring with mains and signal cables inevitably in close proximity.

Subtle changes in metallic structure, insulation, shielding, etc. can and do subtly affect the less tangible measurements of the cables reactances, reluctances, etc. which will affect the timing of signals and therefore the sound, of that I'm sure, and replacing a set of interconnects is surely a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing a CDP or amp.

All that having been said, there is a law of diminishing returns and I wouldn't spend a grand on a pair of interconnects either, and over the years there have been sone surprisingly good "bargain basement" interconnects. e.g. from Tandy (before they went belly up) and their "Gold" interconnects - WHF raved about them in the late 90s.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
The difference in interconnects is hugely exaggerated, and it's easy to copy the electrical characteristics (and therefore the sound) of a £1000 one for about a fiver. Whatever cable you use the differences are probably inaudible, relying on appearance alone.

IOW, don't be taken in by the silly hype.

It can't be said often enough.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
anis93 said:
hi guys,

i need some advise i got some chord cobra 3 connected between a cd player marantz cd63 mkii ki signature and a amplifier sansui 7700 AU

and when i switch with the chord chameleon silver plus , i feel the cobra sound more balanced and the high frequency are less harsh.

how come ?

also i will to upgrade my interconnec chord cable for something more organic and more liquid with a smooth treble , an accurate medium and punchy bass but as to sound naturel. i tried the tellurium q bleu , he sound accurate and naturel but the cable is lack of bass and medium.

any advise?

my speakers are kef 103/4.

Hi,

Normally the chord chameleon needs about 100 hours before it smooths out, I think its part of the silver content. The chord chamelon is superior to chord cobra 3, I have both. Its more open and detailed. Try also the Atlas cables.

Cheers

Steve.

anis93

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
thank you for all your reply .....UPDATE : i tried the sansui amp without the monoblock denon , and it was a big surprise, the sound was more accurate and transparent, no more live sensation in the presentation, just the music.i don t really understand how is possible . it s seem sansui and denon it s not a good match.

maybe someone got a better explanation?also i try to switch the sansui with a preamp cyrus pre connected to the denon monoblock and the sound was horrible, sound like a cheap radio .maybe i should upgrade for a better preamp or a better monoblock ?
stephennic: witch model off atlas you recommend?

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
anis93 said:
thank you for all your reply .....UPDATE : i tried the sansui amp without the monoblock denon , and it was a big surprise, the sound was more accurate and transparent, no more live sensation in the presentation, just the music.i don t really understand how is possible . it s seem sansui and denon it s not a good match.

maybe someone got a better explanation?also i try to switch the sansui with a preamp cyrus pre connected to the denon monoblock and the sound was horrible, sound like a cheap radio .maybe i should upgrade for a better preamp or a better monoblock ?
stephennic: witch model off atlas you recommend?

Hi,

The local hifi shop sold both Atlas and Chord, the Atlas was slightly smoother but the chord was a bit more dynamic. I think it was the Atlas Hyper, also check out the Atlas Equator superior. I just bought the wireworld oasis 6 and I have read its smooth and slightly warm, natural and dynamic. I havent listened to it yet. A cable shootout in another mag the oasis 6 won the contest between kimber, chord, audioquest. There is a good what hifi review online too.

All the best.

Cheers

Steve.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to try QED performance 2.... for a 'natural sound' - very organic bass responce ( I have only owned the Chord Crimson plus though, a cable I found sounded 'hard')

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts