Chord C-power mains cable, any good?

Audioholic2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have just seen Chord's new 'C-power' mains cable which is replacing the Chord Superscreen cable. I would like to know if anybody has heard this cable, is it worth the £50? I want to try 'proper' mains cables instead of using the supplied ones if I can get an improvement in sound quality. Every little helps!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You will get 2 opposing answers to this question:

- Give it a go and see what you think.

- Don't waste your time as it's not possible, and any improvement you think you hear is only down to "expectation bias".

I'm in the camp that says borrow one and try it. I have not heard the Chord, but companies like Clearer Audio give a 60 day home trial. This is one to make up your own mind on.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You will get 2 opposing answers to this question:

- Give it a go and see what you think.

- Don't waste your time as it's not possible, and any improvement you think you hear is only down to "expectation bias".

I'm in the camp that says borrow one and try it. I have not heard the Chord, but companies like Clearer Audio give a 60 day home trial. This is one to make up your own mind on.

+1

iceman16

Have'nt heard about the C-power but I'm using the older Chord powerchord (orange) and it sounds better than the stock cable from my cdp. I'm also with Cno..try it for yourself and send it back if you did'nt like it for refund.:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audioholic2013 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will take the plunge and buy one. :)

i would check out the CA Copperline Alpha before committing:

http://www.cleareraudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I saw but did not hear this in my local store the other day. On looks alone I felt that it looked like every expense had been spared on the production however it might sound great.

Audioholic2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've changed my mind! I will go for either the Clearer Audio Copperline or Merlin Tarantula MK6 cables. There aren't any reviews yet for the new Chord C-power mains cable, unfortunately, and that's putting me off from buying one.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audioholic2013 said:
I've changed my mind! I will go for either the Clearer Audio Copperline or Merlin Tarantula MK6 cables. There aren't any reviews yet for the new Chord C-power mains cable, unfortunately, and that's putting me off from buying one.

i've dealt with Darren of CA.......why not give him a ring as he is very approachable and helpful.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Audioholic2013 said:

What have reviews got to do with it if people were telling you to borrow it and listen for yourself?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've realized that filling up my car using red hose on a petrol station does improve engine performance dramatically. huge improvement!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
let me send you to another thread, similar subject

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/re-chord-chorus2-vs-tellurium-ultra-black

words by Peter Aczel 'The Cable Lie'

"Logically this is not the lie to start with because cables are accessories, not pri- mary audio components. But it is the hugest, dirtiest, most cynical, most in- telligence-insulting and, above all, most fraudulently profitable lie in audio, and therefore must go to the head of the list.

The lie is that high-priced speaker cables and interconnects sound better than the standard, run-of-the-mill (say, Radio Shack) ones. It is a lie that has been exposed, shamed and refuted over and over again by every genuine authority under the sun, but the tweako audio cultists hate authority and the innocents can’t distinguish it from self-serving charlatanry.

The simple truth is that resistance, inductance, and capacitance (R, L, and C) are the only cable parameters that affect performance in the range below radio frequencies. The signal has no idea whether it is being transmitted through cheap or expensive RLC. Yes, you have to pay a little more than rock bottom for decent plugs, shielding, in- sulation, etc., to avoid reliability prob- lems, and you have to pay attention to resistance in longer connections. In basic electrical performance, however, a nice pair of straightened-out wire coat hangers with the ends scraped is not a whit inferior to a $2000 gee-whiz miracle cable. Nor is 16-gauge lamp cord at 18¢ a foot. Ultrahigh-priced cables are the biggest scam in con- sumer electronics, and the cowardly surrender of nearly all audio publica- tions to the pressures of the cable mar- keters is truly depressing to behold. "

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
lpv said:
let me send you to another thread, similar subject

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/re-chord-chorus2-vs-tellurium-ultra-black

words by Peter Aczel 'The Cable Lie'

"Logically this is not the lie to start with because cables are accessories, not pri- mary audio components. But it is the hugest, dirtiest, most cynical, most in- telligence-insulting and, above all, most fraudulently profitable lie in audio, and therefore must go to the head of the list.

The lie is that high-priced speaker cables and interconnects sound better than the standard, run-of-the-mill (say, Radio Shack) ones. It is a lie that has been exposed, shamed and refuted over and over again by every genuine authority under the sun, but the tweako audio cultists hate authority and the innocents can’t distinguish it from self-serving charlatanry.

The simple truth is that resistance, inductance, and capacitance (R, L, and C) are the only cable parameters that affect performance in the range below radio frequencies. The signal has no idea whether it is being transmitted through cheap or expensive RLC. Yes, you have to pay a little more than rock bottom for decent plugs, shielding, in- sulation, etc., to avoid reliability prob- lems, and you have to pay attention to resistance in longer connections. In basic electrical performance, however, a nice pair of straightened-out wire coat hangers with the ends scraped is not a whit inferior to a $2000 gee-whiz miracle cable. Nor is 16-gauge lamp cord at 18¢ a foot. Ultrahigh-priced cables are the biggest scam in con- sumer electronics, and the cowardly surrender of nearly all audio publica- tions to the pressures of the cable mar- keters is truly depressing to behold. "

sigh , maybe i will get rid of my my cables and get some coat hangers , I have also canceled my holiday to Australia for fear of falling of the edge of the world, and i wont forget to put an offering to the sun god else the sun might not come out in the morning......but in the mean time I will enjoy some great tunes made all the better by some nice cables.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
they are always on someones payroll...

don't buy magazines. I don't. same rhetoric all over agian just different model, pictures..

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I never take much notice of the review itself as like anything that is enjoyed everyone will perceive that enjoyment differently so how can a magazine review tell you how much you will enjoy a product when the perception of the person writing the review may vary hugely from how you perceive the product.

Also if I thought something was not that great and a magazine review raved about it why does either of our opinions have to have no value as that was how we as individuals felt about the item at that time, in these kind of instances when we are talking about the way someone feels about something can there really be a global idea of what is the right and the wrong way to feel.

So if you take the view that a Hi Fi product is only as good as the enjoyment you get out of it then as long as people are enjoying it who cares if someone view is not the same as some one else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts