Choosing an integrated amp

JorisC

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I have trouble finding an integrated amp, so many choices...

I own a pair of B&W DM17's (almost 30 yrs old), currently used with an Sony LBT-V901 (late 80's) which has a built-in DAC (CD and DAT). The left channel is wearing down, not always sound, kinda frustrating.

I mainly listen to rock, acoustic guitar and trip-hop music, mainly lossless all stored on my NAS with Sonos ZP90 to the built-in DAC with optical.

I am thinking of buying a second hand Rotel (prob RA-1062) or Marantz PM6003 but there are some 2nd hand PM7200 available.

Which would be best option: Rotel and Marantz? Can't audition them because 2nd hand.
Since the Marantz and Rotels don't have built-in DAC's, would I benefit with an extra external DAC with my Sonos?

Thanks,
Joris, Belgium

T

the record spot

Depends on your requirements I think. The Rotel would be good, the PM7200 offers a Class A (25wpc) option as well as standard Class AB at 95wpc. I think the 7200 was the rabbit out of the hat for Marantz a decade or so back. Didn't hang round for long, but it struck me as a big lump of an amp that was pretty capable with it. The KI Signature version would've been worth having, but few were made I think. I didn't hear it, but I think it might be a little less edgy than some of the company's other line of amplifiers at the time.

I hear good things of Rotel, but equally, I hear some of their stuff can be a little towards the detailed and brighter end of the scale. Depends on what you like really. I'd pick either over the 6003, which is a fine amp in its own right, but not up to the standard of the other two (IMO of course).

JorisC

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
picked up the 2nd hand Rotel RA-1062.
I am pleased with it, more detailed and bassier than my old Sony, but a bit on the bright side.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts