Choice for Amplifier update?

bigi

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I've been running an AV amp arrangement for a number of years, currently a Yamaha RX-V775 currently with some small Sony surround speakers and Sub, and B&W 601 S2 speakers (bi-amped). However, the sound from my (now heavily modified) Marantz CD67SE has never sounded great, so i decided a few months ago to resurrect my old Sony integrated amp - a TA-FB930R. It had succumbed to the usual dry joint problems which is now sorted, but the years in the attic clearly haven't been kind to it as there is a noticeable balance issue between channels! The sound has massively improved using the amp for the front channels via the pre-amp out on the Yamaha amp, but rather than breaking out the soldering iron and attempting to sort the problem I am thinking of upgrading to a newer (or different) amp. However, it seems that most amps under £5-600 are now a lot lower powered than the Sony (90w into 8ohms) and i've seen a lot of people suggesting to stick with older kit!

The room being used in is about 40m3 and pretty much square in size, so not a massive room to fill, and my music tastes are pretty much everything from soul to rock music, although a majority of the music i play will be dance or 80s music; normally at quite high volumes :) I can't really stretch to the £500 mark for a new amp, so i suspect I will be looking towards the second hand market to find something approriate. My main concern is buying something else and ending up with a lightweight sound taht isn't as good as the Sony i have now - from looking around on forums, the Sony is still kept in quite high regards, whereas the Technics award winners at the time aren't! In the perfect world i would love a power amp direct mode to connect the AV amp to, but not a deal breaker by any means.

So - given my requirements, can anyone offer me any great advice? :)

rainsoothe

Hi. For B&W I would try finding a used Rotel RA 1062 or 1520, even used Roksan Kandy K2 (for a smoother sound). I would even consider selling the BW 601 if you could find a cheap and good condition pair of B&W DM 602 S2 or S3.

bigi

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - although a dig around only reveals £500 prices for the Rotel s/h which is probably a bit out of my range!

I was looking at the arcam Alpha 10 as a possible option and probably a bit more affordable - any thoughts how it will suit?

rainsoothe

Not familiar with the arcam alpha 10. But when I sold my perfect condition rotel ra 1520, it went for 400 pounds on the bay, and it should go for max 450. Maybe you can send private message to sellers, see if they consider droping price?

bigi

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
£400 is out of the range i really wanted to spend to be honest - i was hoping to be in the region of £200-250 hence the second hand thoughts! Especially as i'm being advised to change to DM602's...or can anyone make any other suggestions to pair up with my system?

I've got an Origin Live OL1 tonearm equipped techincs 1210 (so need a good phono stage), and using Sony DVD and Blu-Ray players connected to a Yamaha RX-V775 AV Amp, using the stereo amp for the front channels (and obviously for analogue sources). I would prefer not to have to change the speakers and Amp, but if i have no option then i will consider a complete change of both; although probably looking at a max of £200-250 per component.

bigi

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I've just seen a mint condition Alpha 9A with 9P for sale - would these be any good for the music i listen to with my speakers? I believe these can sound pretty neutral in bi-amp mode?

bigi

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Can't see an integrated option...in the emotiva range?

Anyone any thoughts on the 9A-9P option? would prefer not to miss out on it if it's worth the spend...

Dylankavanagh36

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. I join in the hope that ye could give me some advice. I just bought a set of speakers kef 301.2 and I'm look for a reasonable price amp to go with the. Iv been looking at nad c355bee, arcam alpha10, nad 352 and a few other nad amps . I listen to a lot of deep house and I'm just wondering if ye have any suggestions on an amp with nice deep bass around the 400 pound mark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts