Chicken or the Egg

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have had it on my mind for quite some time to get a sub. I had a few queries on cables and a few small points and rang PMC today. They are a decent company. While I can not get away too far from faceless companies who are run by managers, whose only thoughts are this year's objectives based bonus, speaking to them provided some momentary warmth and kindness.

I also asked about adding a sub. The TLE was out of my range a bit at £1700, and I said if I went down this path I might trade up for OB1 anyway. The gentleman I spoke to, Andy, said that if you had a sub set up well you wouldn't notice it when it was on, but would notice it if it was turned off. This seemed fairly profound, and I have been having subwoofer thoughts for a large part of today.

I am listening to music now and it struck me that if I can't tell when a sub is on in a well rounded set up, how do I know if I need one in the first place. My current system may be well rounded now. I have FB1+ and would like to know if anyone has seen an improvement to these by adding a sub. The one I have set my heart on is a BK Monolith, and due to being mail order, can't test out. I really like those BKs - great reviews, loyal fan base and good looking finishes.

If I do get one, is it decided wisdom that high level inputs are the way to go. I know it ensures consistency with other speakers, but I can't help wondering if there will be a pure clean signal coming out of the Pre-amp out of a Primare i30. Don't know, so thought I would check the world of the wise.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yep, that is indeed what happens when adjusted correctly. Switch it off and it sounds somewhat aenemic, loosing the solid foundation that makes music visceral, midrange solidity (body) has diminished and the treble seems more exposed, less integrated. It can appear less complete.

Its relative to what speakers you use but I had the same result with a fair few and recommend it.

I think AE uses PMC with subs. Maybe he can give you a hint on what to get.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:I think AE uses PMC with subs. Maybe he can give you a hint on what to get.

Indeed you are correct:

For ease, and because I'm kind -

link.

emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TNTTNT:
If I do get one, is it decided wisdom that high level inputs are the way to go. I know it ensures consistency with other speakers, but I can't help wondering if there will be a pure clean signal coming out of the Pre-amp out of a Primare i30. Don't know, so thought I would check the world of the wise.

... I got the necessary speakon connection/cable but to be honest I either can't hear much difference between high/low level connections or I actually prefer the neater RCA way. I kind of find it odd, even disconcerting to connect anything other than speakers to the amplifier speaker terminals even though some manufacturers recommend it. With the (active) AVI's there was of course no choice other than line level but boy did it make a difference. Single best piece of hifi I bought and the tiny thing was only cheap!

A

Anonymous

I must say thanks to GT for taking the time to find the link. I am very surprised that AE uses a sub with OB1s, because I thought they were like a FB1 with a sub built in, but he knows what he is doing and means a FB1 would probably benefit even more.

To add to garethwd's observation, I agree with him and would also say the egg, because everyone knows that the first ever egg came from Tesco...the chickens came after.

I have read over the years that Audiophiles strive to keep signal paths short, clean and untouched. For this reason I thought the preout on an integrated amp would comply with this. You could even connect to line out of CD, but would imagine you have issues over controlling overall volume with the remote.

A

Anonymous

The FB1+ speakers extend down to 28 Hz (approximately the bottom note of a piano), whereas the Monoliths extend down to 15 Hz (approximately an octave lower). Given the average human can perceive pitches down to about 15-20 Hz, adding a sub will add to your listening experience (at least in musical contexts that result in pitches that low, e.g. organ music and some electronic music - very few acoustic instruments can produce sounds in this spectrum). Once you've experienced those frequencies on a recording, then switching off a sub will result in a very marked difference to your listening experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts