Chebby - QED 79 Strand Cable

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
chebby wrote:

Good stuff. I have used it many times in the past [harrrummph]ty years. The white ones sound better :)

I now use QED Original (OFC copper fig. 8 cross section) which is supposed to be a 'low cost' development of Classic 79 Strand.

I got mine free including free, soldered* banana plugs. (Ok, swapped for a couple of no longer needed old Chord phono - DIN leads by my dealer) so I don't know how much terminated pairs cost.

*Don't get your plugs crimped with QED AirLoc**. Do get plugs soldered on properly***.

**They fall off a lot.

***They don't.

Hi Chebby just come accross your post which is interesting to me.
I have a system that comprises Audiolab 8200CD Player, Rega Brio R Amplifier and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.
To fit the RX6s in I have revamped my lounge and need to rewire the speakers. The longest run is 5 metres but the cable has to pass below a skirting board so I need a slim cable.
I was thinking of using either QED Classic 79 Strand or QED Original, size wise these two cables work well.
In view of your post do you think that the QED Original is a better cable?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest you try hearing the cables either in the store to give you a rough idea of any differences, or see if your dealer will let you borrow a couple of lengths of them. I doubt there will be much if any difference between those two cables.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Problem with the Chord is that it is not flat like the QED items so not much good for my application.
I have seen in previous posts that QED 79 strand is highly thought of by ATC and PMC etc and really wondered if it is worth paying extra for the Original cable which I believe Chebby uses.
I know he prviously used 79 strand and now uses original and wondered if he felt it was better.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chebby thanks for your reply and honesty. I am not really that much into which cable is best etc..either.as long as it is a reasonable price and well thought of I usually buy it. Both cables suit my application so will probably go for the original as it is a fraction smaller than the 79 strand and the extra cost is not the end of the world to me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The QED 'Original' cable I use was (a) available on the day I collected my Marantz (b) free - including the soldering of banana plugs - in exchange for couple of redundant DIN/Phono cables (c) all copper (d) thin and quite flexible

TBH if the only cable available had been an equivalent cable by another brand then it wouldn't have bothered me.

I am really not into the whole business of speaker cables. Sorry. It's boring.

For many years I used bog-standard QED 79 strand, but it's no good asking me about any differences after all this time. (If indeed there were any.)

I'm the bloke who used the cables supplied in the box with all my old systems.

All I want is a firm, reliable, tidy connection.

I use QED HDMI cables because (a) they are only 1 metre long (b) due to a Tesco mis-pricing they only cost me £3.55 each :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts