Cheapest Freesat installation???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With Sky's half price Freesat installation offer, would not the cheapest way to get Freesat HD be to take Sky up on their offer, then ditch the Sky box in favour for something like the Humax HD receiver?

A

Anonymous

No. There's no contract with Freesat from Sky. They just don't provide any HD channels unless you subscribe to Sky HD, and I've read that a Sky installation is fully compatible with the BBC/ITV Freesat service so long as you buy a replacement for the Sky set-top box.

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/pay-once.aspx

A

Anonymous

I think your onto a winner there. Its a good idea but just remember to call up and cancel the subscription after the first four months or you will be a regular sky customer.

Good luck with this hope it works for you, i may try the same myself when more HD channels spring up on freesat.

Yousef.

A

Anonymous

I don't see how Sky can justify a £10 per month fee for HD when there are other channels that offer HD on their platform. Fine if they want their own customers to pay extra for SKY Sport HD or Film HD but why should they charge for BBC or other channels?

I suspect that free sat will force Sky to abolish their £10 charge very soon.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I must be missing something here.

Isn't the Sky offer for £75 installation and isn't Freesat only £79 only for standard installation (looked at Comet - others might charge differently).

So, is it really worth the hassle to save £4?

A

Anonymous

I hadn't seen the Comet offer, I spoke with a few local satellite installers listed in the Yellow Pages. They all seemed to come in around £150! I'm off now to read the Comet smallprint.
emotion-1.gif

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Ahh, explains it.
emotion-1.gif

Many high street names seem to have got deals for instalation, it only seems to be the independants that are charging high:

Comet's Installation Deal:

£79.95 Basic 1 room

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/advice/360/Freesat-Digital-Satellite-TV-Service

(Here you can pay for PVR installation even though PVR not out yet (PVR deal gets you I believe a Quad LNB instead of a Single LNB and the additional cable required, for just £20 more than the standard install.)

Curry's:

If bought with receiver seems to be £80.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1091784461.1217243224@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckadeekfdlkfkcflgceggdhhmdfhj.0&source_id=aw&criterion=freesat&low_bound=0&AtimeStamp=3389073385&page=SimpleSearchProducts&camp_id=Ian+Dews&up_bound=0

Argos:

£80

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5270086/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C10199181/c_2/2%7Ccat_10199181%7CDigital+boxes+and+services%7C10199362/c_3/3%7Ccat_10199362%7CFreesat+digital+set+top+boxes%7C10199369.htm

Apologies for the width of the post, it seems the frame aren't working properly.

BTW Admins, I accidentally reported someone's post last night, after which the server thanked me and told me I was now banned!!! Luckily I wasn't but seems there are 1 or 2 Gremilns still around.

A

Anonymous

Are you saying that Freesat HD PVR's, when they're released, will require more than one run of coax from the dish/LNB to the box?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Very Annoyed:

I don't see how Sky can justify a £10 per month fee for HD when there are other channels that offer HD on their platform. Fine if they want their own customers to pay extra for SKY Sport HD or Film HD but why should they charge for BBC or other channels?

I suspect that free sat will force Sky to abolish their £10 charge very soon.

You could have an HD box and pay no subscription and you would get the free to air HD channel (BBC HD). The £10 subscription is for all the other HD channels that no one else has access to.

TRENDING THREADS