Cheaper turntable for a better amplifier?

rsp2015

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I've got a Rega RP1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and I'm planning on buying a Pro-ject Phono Box MM to use as the phono stage/preamp. Unfortunately I don't have any more money to spend on an amp so I was planning to use an old JVC hi-fi system (aux input) as the amplifier for this system.

However I was wondering, to produce the best sound within my budget, would I be better off starting over and buying a cheaper turntable with a preamp already installed (possibly the Audio-Technica AT-LP60) to be able to spend the money on a better amplifier?

In essence, I'm basically asking whether it's worth getting a cheaper turntable to fund a better amp or will my old JVC hi-fi system do the job? Any advice is much appreciated!

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
The Rega RP1 is a nice turntable, the phono box retails for about £50, the Technics turntable is about £100 and is no where near as good as your Rega. I know cheap turntables have the reputation of damaging records over a period of time and given the price of LPs I think it would be madness to get the Technics. I think you should go the phono box route with a view to upgrading your amp when you have the money.

AntAxon said:
The Rega RP1 is a nice turntable, the phono box retails for about £50, the Technics turntable is about £100 and is no where near as good as your Rega. I know cheap turntables have the reputation of damaging records over a period of time and given the price of LPs I think it would be madness to get the Technics. I think you should go the phono box route with a view to upgrading your amp when you have the money.

I'd agree to a point. I would suggest you look at sourcing a second-hand amp with a phono stage inbuilt for the money you were going to spend on the pre amp.

I don't think playing vinyl through the JVC system would do your deck or speakers any justice. There are plenty of cheap amps on eBay.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
AntAxon said:

I'd agree to a point. I would suggest you look at sourcing a second-hand amp with a phono stage inbuilt for the money you were going to spend on the pre amp.

I don't think playing vinyl through the JVC system would do your deck or speakers any justice. There are plenty of cheap amps on eBay.

You are right, I had not considered that option!

AntAxon said:
Al ears said:
AntAxon said:

You are right, I had not considered that option!

Thank you. You were certainly correct in suggesting he kept the Rega option but he was concentrating on finding a way to attach it to a substandard system. A dedicated stereo amp is the only real way to go.

rsp2015

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
AntAxon said:

Thank you both for your advice. Any particular second hand integrated amps or brands you'd say to go for considering my budget is only around £50? There's a second hand Denon PMA-250SE on eBay going for £50 at the moment, do you think that will work well for me?

rsp2015 said:
Al ears said:
AntAxon said:

Thank you both for your advice. Any particular second hand integrated amps or brands you'd say to go for considering my budget is only around £50? There's a second hand Denon PMA-250SE on eBay going for £50 at the moment, do you think that will work well for me?

Denon is a good bet, also look for Marantz or Pioneer, basically anything that has a built-in phono preamp for moving magnet cartridge.

There is a Marantz PM4001 currently going for £26 but postage is a bit high at £15

There's also a Denon PMA720 currently at £10.49 which may be worth a look.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Not really, however when you look at what others on there are asking to post their amp then it is high.

Others must just be willing to take the financial hit in the hope a low postage-cost will attract more bids. When I sent off my Cyrus 2 for an upgrade last autumn, by the time I'd packed it well enough that it stood a chance of arriving at ARS in one piece, I didn't get much change from a £20 note.

MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
Not really, however when you look at what others on there are asking to post their amp then it is high.

Others must just be willing to take the financial hit in the hope a low postage-cost will attract more bids. When I sent off my Cyrus 2 for an upgrade last autumn, by the time I'd packed it well enough that it stood a chance of arriving at ARS in one piece, I didn't get much change from a £20 note.

I hope there was a bit of insurance built into your costs. Not much point in insuring a £26 amp.

D

Deleted member 108165

eric132 said:
in all honesty, I think the AT lp 60 is good, but the lp 120 is even better if you can put the money into it.

eric132, why don't you b*gger-off mate!

eric132

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
eric132 said:
in all honesty, I think the AT lp 60 is good, but the lp 120 is even better if you can put the money into it.

Good suggestions. Especially if you are going to play cheap, second-hand albums on them. ;-)

At least they are a slight improvement on the Crossleys of this world.

are you implying that the AT lp 120 is not a good turntable?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
eric132 said:
Al ears said:
eric132 said:

Good suggestions. Especially if you are going to play cheap, second-hand albums on them. ;-)

At least they are a slight improvement on the Crossleys of this world.

are you implying that the AT lp 120 is not a good turntable?

I dont think hes implying no - but Im saying its an awful one

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts