Cheap speakers to ue with TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I'm new on here and am wondering if anyone can help me.

Me and my flat mates at university have just moved into a house and having now settled down have decided that we would like some speakers for our TV downstairs.

The TV is old and rubbish (Mitsubishi 21" non flat or wide screen) which is why we'd like good speakers for when we listen to music channels etc.

We have all agreed to put in about £20-£25 each and as there are 5 of us this gives us aroud £100 to play with.

I'm not sure as to whether we need an amplifier or a cd player with speakers so we can connect it...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

A

Anonymous

First of all check on the back of the TV to make sure you have a line out. There should be a pair of RCA (phono) sockets one red and one white. they should say something like "audio out"

Sadly to get better sound you will need an amp to go with the speakers They cannot be connected directly to the line out sockets. E-bay might be your friend or you might find something good in the local Richer Sound.

Either buy an amp and speakers or look at a cheap all in one system which will include a CD player.

BTW - I assume you have a freeview or Sky box already from what you have said?

A

Anonymous

Look at an old JVC amplifier - A-X1, A-X2, AX-4 are all brilliant on eBay and then look for some Mission E30 speakers on eBay new which are fabulous for around £79.99!

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the help guys.

we've got a freview box and that has a line out in it.

Would it be cheaper, and better, to like u say get a cd player with built in amp?

If so any suggestions as to what maybe good?

I like the sound of the mission e30 spekaers i'll have a look on ebay later

A

Anonymous

If you have a line out on the freeview box you are all set. All you need is to bag an amp and speakers now. Lots of CD players on E-bay as well. Get a seperate one if you can.

A

Anonymous

is the JVC ax-220 any good as an amplifier?

can pick it up for around £50 second hand

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
For a cheap student lounge system I'd say go for a DVD (preferably able to play MP3 disks too) rather than CD.

There's lots of cheap amps and speakers on E-Bay. Amps from any of the major Japanese manufacturers (Rotel, Kenwood, Pioneer, Denon) or older British classics (NAD 3020, A&R A60, Creek CAS4040, Cambridge, Arcam Alpha etc) and a pair of small British speakers (B&W, Mission, Wharfedale Diamond, Acoustic Energy, Q, Mordaunt Short, KEF, Heybrook HB1 etc).

I'd avoid all in one AV systems unless it's a real steal, and you've got a big enough room to set it up properly and avoid housemates sitting right next to surround speakers.

Also, seperates give more flexibility in splitting up the system when you all go your seperate ways, or a new housemate arrives with a better amp.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
E Bay search on consumer electronics integrated amps for auction in the UK ending today less than 30 quid (allows for new bids and postage to raise real price to 50 or so). I got 36 hits. Most of these would do what you want. Some were well worth watching.

I'm sure speaker search would yield similar results.

More hints.
Don't be swayed amplifier power, ignore non rms power ratings.
Speaker sensitivity at 1 watt, 1 metre (how loud a speaker goes for a given input) is more important for maximum volume levels than power.

Speakers with rear ports (holes on the back) need space around them to work properly, and are more difficult to site.

Just about any DVD player will play MP3's (see previous post).

A Technics /JVS / Teac / Denon mini system might to enough to satisfy you and have a remote too.

Do a google search to find more about anything you're thinking of buying.

A

Anonymous

cj0688:
is the JVC ax-220 any good as an amplifier?

can pick it up for around £50 second hand

It's okay, but this is better: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPERB-VINTAG... but the muscle and power is soooo addictive!

John Duncan

If all you're looking for is good sound from your TV, I would get the Audioengine A2, availabe from Amazon for £110 - they have the amp built in so you just need a phono to mini-jack lead
:

31K6m3wtxdL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts