Changing up my Home Cinema in a flat

I'm looking at changing up my set-up in my flat. I have a Onkyo TX-SR578 receiever I bought a few years ago and a 5.0 set-up. The speakers are pretty old (and when I had a less money around!); Celestion F2 floorstanders and center. I also have some Eltax HT-2 speakers in the rear, again from a long time ago. I have a sub (somewhere) which has not been plugged in for noise considerations.

So I've decided I should do something about the set-up. I'm in a flat, with a pretty large living room but not particuarly thick walls. We also have wooden flooring, and although the underlay is as soundproof as was possible, a lot of bass isn't really an option.

Currently I have to constantly keep playing with the volume, turning down the bass, turning up the centre, reducing dynamic range, etc. As much as I like the idea of great sound I also don't want to be constantly worrying about it everytime it gets loud. The centre speaker (probably because it's cheap) struggles with dialog and I end up having to crank it up during quiet scenes to here it.

I want something that sounds rich and clear, but that I don't have to constantly worry about the neighbours. I probably split my duties 50:50 music and TV/Blu-Ray but the latter is when I am actually paying attention to sound quality generally.

Some options:

- Go stereo. Keep the receiever but ditch the surround sound (which I would miss a bit) and just use a couple of good quality bookshelves.

- Get a sound bar. It may not sound as good but I might enjoy using it more. The idea of the Sonos sound bar so that I can added wireless speakers does appeal.

- Get some better quality Left/Right/Center speakers. Improved quality might help keep things clearer at lower volumes.

Or some other combination. I'd probably ideally like to spend around £300-£500 at the moment and then potentially upgrade more bit by bit. Thanks in advance.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
removing the surround speakers isnt going to do anything positive for you. wont make it sound better, wont make it easier on your neighbours either. i myself have 7.1 with a sub and havent had my neighbour talk to me about the noise or complain in over a year since i've had it! i do feel sorry for him when i watched jurassic world at 110db though one time (if he was in) i'd just get new fronts and centre, maybe some floorstanders with good bass but not as much as a sub as you are worried about noise. either that or just use your sub but try to adjust it. then get used to the sound level of the sub and leave it alone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts