Changing Cartridge

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Well my new Goldring 1042 cartridge arrived today and I am keen to fit it to my arm as soon as possible (well as soon as my new digital scales arrive)

Having never had to change the cartridge before, but understanding how to do this in theory, does anyone have any pointers to make the excercise easier.

I have the original Rega cartridge setup protractor in the box. But from what I have read, I believe there are two ways of setting cartridges up on the rega's.

One is the stevenvson method (which I think is what the provided protractor is for) or something called the Baerwald set-up (protractor and allignnment tool on line at Vinyl Engine).

Does anyone have experience of the latter or can anyone recommend which method would be better for a Rega Planar 3, RB300 and Goldring 1042 setup.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I use the Rega protractor. It's easy, because you only have to align at one point, whereas others require you align at 2 points.

Here's a rough guide:

Zero the anti-skating before you start

Install the cartridge using the screws provided

Set the overhang, which is the distance the tip of the needle should overlap the spindle - 15mm is the figure you want

Balance the arm so it floats

Set the tracking weight. I use a gauge, but have found the systems on most arms come very close

Align the cartridge using the protractor

Set the anti-skate. I'd strongly advise using half or less that recommended by Rega - their arms seem to have a measure of anti-skate built in.

Pour a nice chilled glass of Vinho Verde and you're good to go.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
I use the Rega protractor. It's easy, because you only have to align at one point, whereas others require you align at 2 points.

Here's a rough guide:

Zero the anti-skating before you start

Install the cartridge using the screws provided

Set the overhang, which is the distance the tip of the needle should overlap the spindle - 15mm is the figure you want

Balance the arm so it floats

Set the tracking weight. I use a gauge, but have found the systems on most arms come very close

Align the cartridge using the protractor

Set the anti-skate. I'd strongly advise using half or less that recommended by Rega - their arms seem to have a measure of anti-skate built in.

Pour a nice chilled glass of Vinho Verde and you're good to go.

Thanks Grottyash,

Just a couple of additional questions, if you dont mind :)

How do I set the overhang...or is that where the Rega Allignment tool comes in? ie is there a spot where they say the stylus should touch on the protractor provided. I also assume the lines on this are to ensure the cartidge body is alligned correctly and straight?

I'm waiting for some digital scales to arrive for the tracking weight.....my old ones were crap and when I set up the technoweight on saturday with the elys cartridge (I turned the finger adjuster 17.5 notches (i.e one notch for each 1gm...as recommended by Michell)...when I checked the tracking weight on my scales it read 2.2grams) So without scales should I trust the technoweight??

As for antiskate...I have it set at just under 1 for the elys....as I had heard that it didnt need to be the recommended 1.75

Cheers

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jase, my Technoweight's gauge is pretty darned close. At 2g, it's only .1g out. So, yeah use the Tecnoweight for now and check it with your new scales when they turn up.

I can't help with the overhang thing, though
smiley-embarassed.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Jase, my Technoweight's gauge is pretty darned close. At 2g, it's only .1g out. So, yeah use the Tecnoweight for now and check it with your new scales when they turn up.

I can't help with the overhang thing, though
smiley-embarassed.gif

Cheers Bretty,

As I say I think it was my scales that were out rather than the technoweight.....looks like I will be fitting the Goldring tonight then :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Remember you will probably need to adjust the height of the little curved arm lift support/arm cueing platform up a bit to account for the G1042's deeper body. This will necessitate a 1.27mm allen key to loosen it first.

Suggest this is done first as alignment will involve lowering/lifting the arm a fair bit.

You might find a 1.27mm allen key in B&Q or ebay (like this one) or your local Rega dealer might lend you his.

A

Anonymous

Normally you set overhang with a two point protractor, but, since the Rega protractore has one point and is optimised for their own cartridges, I set this roughly by eye by leaving the cuing device up so the needle can't touch the platter, then move the arm across until the cartridge is centred over the spindle and measuring carefully and approximately the distance from the tip of the needle to the centre of the spindle.

If you have a two point gauge, like the ones you mention from vinylengine, you don't have to do this. Instead you align the cartridge with the innermost points so the cartridge body is parallel to the lines, then move it out to the second point. If you need to adjust, the overhang is incorrect so you need to move the cartridge forward or back, then adjust again.

If you're lucky, you'll have moved the cartridge the right way. You find out by moving the arm back to the inner point and checking. If it's out move the cartridge again backwards or forwards and re-align. Move back to the second point. If the angle cartridge is further out from parallel is larger than it was before, you've moved the cartridge the wrong way. If it is closer to parallel then before, move the cartridge in the same direction and align again.

Repeat until the cartridge is parallel at both positions.

Alignment is the trickiest part, especially as it's often no easy to see whether the cartridge body is parallel or not, but it only needs doing once.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Niiiiice
smiley-smile.gif
Have fun matey and fill me in on how it sounds. I bought one of these at the weekend:

Grado-reference.jpg

It aint here yet though
smiley-frown.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Niiiiice
smiley-smile.gif
Have fun matey and fill me in on how it sounds. I bought one of these at the weekend:

Grado-reference.jpg

It aint here yet though
smiley-frown.gif

Nice one Bretty....

Is that the Moving Iron cartridge you were on about possibly getting :)

Will definately let everyone know how the 1042 sounds....I also have some new vinyl to play on it as well :)

Kate Bush - The Whole Story and The Bravery - The Bravery :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Normally you set overhang with a two point protractor, but, since the Rega protractore has one point and is optimised for their own cartridges, I set this roughly by eye by leaving the cuing device up so the needle can't touch the platter, then move the arm across until the cartridge is centred over the spindle and measuring carefully and approximately the distance from the tip of the needle to the centre of the spindle.

If you have a two point gauge, like the ones you mention from vinylengine, you don't have to do this. Instead you align the cartridge with the innermost points so the cartridge body is parallel to the lines, then move it out to the second point. If you need to adjust, the overhang is incorrect so you need to move the cartridge forward or back, then adjust again.

If you're lucky, you'll have moved the cartridge the right way. You find out by moving the arm back to the inner point and checking. If it's out move the cartridge again backwards or forwards and re-align. Move back to the second point. If the angle cartridge is further out from parallel is larger than it was before, you've moved the cartridge the wrong way. If it is closer to parallel then before, move the cartridge in the same direction and align again.

Repeat until the cartridge is parallel at both positions.

Alignment is the trickiest part, especially as it's often no easy to see whether the cartridge body is parallel or not, but it only needs doing once.

Cheers Grottyash,

In depth and helpfull as usual :)

Yes know you have mentioned it the Baerwald method using two points for alignment and an arc from point A to B that the stylus should follow if alligned correctly.

Seeing as I already have the Rega alignment protractor....that is what I will use :) so will set stylus 15mm forward of spindle (by spindle I take it you mean the upright from the sub platter?). So its set that first and then allign the cartridge :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Nice one Bretty.... Is that the Moving Iron cartridge you were on about possibly getting :) Will definately let everyone know how the 1042 sounds....I also have some new vinyl to play on it as well :) Kate Bush - The Whole Story and The Bravery - The Bravery :)

Yep, it's the moving iron, but one model down from the Master. If I like what I hear, i'll upgrade to the Master a bit later on.

I've read a few more 1042 reviews over the weekend and they've been more of the same: it's a blinding cartridge.

Kate bush sounds the nuts on vinyl. I have 'The whole Story' on CD and it sounds pucka, so the vinyl's gonna be astounding.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Must say having just looked at the fixings for the cartridge, it looks like some fun might be had this evening trying to fix the nuts to the screws, whilst trying to hold the catridge in place.......Hmmm a third hand looks like it could come in usefull for changing a cartridge.

I take it the screw head goes thread down....ie so the nuts are on the underneath of the cartridge fixing holes?

Wish me luck guys !!!!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Must say having just looked at the fixings for the cartridge, it looks like some fun might be had this evening trying to fix the nuts to the screws, whilst trying to hold the catridge in place.......Hmmm a third hand looks like it could come in usefull for changing a cartridge. I take it the screw head goes thread down....ie so the nuts are on the underneath of the cartridge fixing holes? Wish me luck guys !!!!

Good luck Jason and yes nuts underneath :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Must say having just looked at the fixings for the cartridge, it looks like some fun might be had this evening trying to fix the nuts to the screws, whilst trying to hold the catridge in place.......Hmmm a third hand looks like it could come in usefull for changing a cartridge. I take it the screw head goes thread down....ie so the nuts are on the underneath of the cartridge fixing holes? Wish me luck guys !!!!

It's not too bad actually, mate. The first one can be a little fiddly, but once you've got the nut onto the bolt, tighten it right up and it holds the cartridge in place, making the second one a doddle.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Don't want to hijack your thread Jason but I've just bought a secondhand Rega P3-24 and a Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge to go with it and I'm having trouble setting up the cartridge.

The main problem is when I try and balance the arm, I can't actually balance it properly as the arm just shoots to the right and wants to go back in it's rest. No matter how I adjust the weight. Also when I cue the arm down on to a record it doesn't go straight down, it via's off to the right as it's coming down and misses the record.

When you say the stylus should be 15mm from the spindle when setting the overhang, is this to the edge or centre of the spindle? Sorry if these are really stupid questions but only ever changed one cartridge and that was at least 15 years ago. Any help much appreciated, I'm dying to get this ****** up and running
smiley-smile.gif

Lee

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Okay that's it.... :)

New Cartridge fitted and alligned....yet again no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be...and the worst part was alligning the cartridge and making sure it was all set up correctly.

I'm going to reserve comment on it for a few days, until I have had a proper chance to listen to it and believe it will maybe take a while to open up to its full potential as well. In fact does anyone know roughly what the run in time for a Goldring 1042 is

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
mitch65 said:
had the same problem with my p-24 before I realised I needed to adjust the tracking force which is located under the arm Doh!

Cheers mitch but I've done that and no matter what I set it to it still does the same to a more or less degree.

Lee

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Hi

Don't want to hijack your thread Jason but I've just bought a secondhand Rega P3-24 and a Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge to go with it and I'm having trouble setting up the cartridge.

The main problem is when I try and balance the arm, I can't actually balance it properly as the arm just shoots to the right and wants to go back in it's rest. No matter how I adjust the weight. Also when I cue the arm down on to a record it doesn't go straight down, it via's off to the right as it's coming down and misses the record.

When you say the stylus should be 15mm from the spindle when setting the overhang, is this to the edge or centre of the spindle? Sorry if these are really stupid questions but only ever changed one cartridge and that was at least 15 years ago. Any help much appreciated, I'm dying to get this ****** up and running
smiley-smile.gif

Lee

Hi Troy62,

I have the same problem with the arm wanting to return to its rest and believe this is an inherent problem with a lot of Rega's.

A little tip for you.......if you have a ruler or something with a straight edge....let the tonearm fall back and rest against this whilst you balance the arm.

It worked for me :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
I'm going to reserve comment on it for a few days, until I have had a proper chance to listen to it and believe it will maybe take a while to open up to its full potential as well. In fact does anyone know roughly what the run in time for a Goldring 1042 is

I ran a 1042 on a Rega Planar 3 between 1996 and 2007. (One change of stylus in that time.)

You are in for a treat. I remember it had a BIG presentation. Very impressive and well defined bass (a little 'cavernous' on some material but not boomy). It makes the Rega cartridges seem a little 'pinched' in comparison.

It is the sort of sound that will make you love playing LPs for your mates (especially if they are wedded to cheap CD systems) and will make you feel all smug when they are asking - for the fifth time - if you haven't really got a hidden CD playing somewhere!

It is a forgiving cartridge and will drag the best out of compressed or so-so recordings. Try and feed it clean LPs though. It's an expensive stylus to relace!

Hunt down good 1980s & 1990s 12" singles if you are into that era and can find clean examples. The sheer acreage on 12" singles mean bigger groove modulations and even more fireworks. The 1042 thrives on them.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Troy62 said:
mitch65 said:
had the same problem with my p-24 before I realised I needed to adjust the tracking force which is located under the arm Doh!

Cheers mitch but I've done that and no matter what I set it to it still does the same to a more or less degree.

Lee

Turn the anti-skate completely off and you should be able to balance the arm in the space between the arm rest and platter. Just keep turning the counterweight one way or the other until the arm floats, set the dial on the counterweight to zero while holding the counterweight still and then dial in the tracking weight. I don't understand what you're doing wrong tbh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts