Challenge, first high performance hifi system

gasolin

I would like to challenge whathifi's user

A first high performance hifi system that of course sounds good with enough power and bass for most people

Amplifier,cdplayer,souncard or dac,turntable,interconnects,speaker cable and speakers, stands if needed.

Has to be new with warranty and let's say £1500 or €1700, it doesn't have to be with a turntable but as a minimum it has to be able possibel ad a turntable without having to buy a seperat phono stage.

Are you up to the challange?

I wanna se what YOU would chose !

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I simply would not suggest a system like that to anyone looking for a good first system, to coin a phrase, that is so 'last century'.

Modern users want different things, given the budget my answer is easy. A Yamaha WXC50 streamer/dac/pre-amp and a pair of Adam A7x or, preferably A8x active speakers, the latter just about in budget if no legacy sources are required.

The Yamaha is functionally transparent at what it does, and it does a hell of a lot. Yes there are better sounding streamers and dacs available but at this budget it is an absolute shoo in.

The A8x are truly formidable speakers, unusually for Adam they have what I would describe as a a 'hi-fi balance', rather enjoyable in fact. As for performance, an 8.5 inch bass driver driven by a 150 watt amplifer, enough power and bass for anyone and of course the wonderful X-Art tweeter.

If performance is the aim above all other criterea, this combination will take some beating.

gasolin

insider9 said:
Why do you insist on buying new?

First, im not upgrading

Second, it should be available for everybody, not depending what is for sale used, can and can you not listen to it before you buy it, not to talk about return it and warranty.

I could have said no price limited, but i wanted it to be somthing most cold afford if they wanted to, what would people chose,how big is the diffrence, cheap amp,expensive speakers, expensive amp, cheap speakers, focusing on source and speaker, any surprice choices?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jjbomber said:
gasolin said:

At a guess, 90% won't be able to follow those simple instructions.

The question/instructions are pointless.

May as well ask what cassette deck should I buy, what music centre, what radiogram?

For the budget, just get yourself down to Richers or Sevenoaks and buy the usual branded (but all made in China) tosh, the moden equivilent of a 60's radiogram or 70's music centre, but in separate boxes so that you can convince yourself that you are buying hi-fi.

If you are remotely interested in something that is really going to give you something decent in the way of performance, you have to think outside the box or spend a lot more money.

If you are serious about a cheap legacy system that would give you something worth listening to, a Clearaudio Concept and/or a Rega Apollo-r driving a Croft integrated and a decent pair of small speakers, such as Martin Logan Motion 15, would be my choice.

Sadly that is rather over budget, which is why I suggested the option that I did, the OP did suggest that performance was important, so to my mind the usual suspects (at the price) will not do.

If absolutely pushed, an inexpensive CD player, used as a transport into the WXC50 and A7x speakers would be within budget, so would be my choice. For a slightly different presentation at much the same price, try the Dynaudio Lyd 7, or if you must have a more 'domesticated' setup, try the Acoustic Energy AE1a and live with the more limited bass response.

If you think I am pushing an agenda here, you are right, the studio active models mentioned are market leaders in a market bigger and far more competitive than the hi-fi market, performance levels are outstanding at the price levels being discussed.

davedotco said:
jjbomber said:
gasolin said:

At a guess, 90% won't be able to follow those simple instructions.

The question/instructions are pointless.

May as well ask what cassette deck should I buy, what music centre, what radiogram?

For the budget, just get yourself down to Richers or Sevenoaks and buy the usual branded (but all made in China) tosh, the moden equivilent of a 60's radiogram or 70's music centre, but in separate boxes so that you can convince yourself that you are buying hi-fi.

If you are remotely interested in something that is really going to give you something decent in the way of performance, you have to think outside the box or spend a lot more money.

If you are serious about a cheap legacy system that would give you something worth listening to, a Clearaudio Concept and/or a Rega Apollo-r driving a Croft integrated and a decent pair of small speakers, such as Martin Logan Motion 15, would be my choice.

Sadly that is rather over budget, which is why I suggested the option that I did, the OP did suggest that performance was important, so to my mind the usual suspects (at the price) will not do.

If absolutely pushed, an inexpensive CD player, used as a transport into the WXC50 and A7x speakers would be within budget, so would be my choice. For a slightly different presentation at much the same price, try the Dynaudio Lyd 7, or if you must have a more 'domesticated' setup, try the Acoustic Energy AE1a and live with the more limited bass response.

If you think I am pushing an agenda here, you are right, the studio active models mentioned are market leaders in a market bigger and far more competitive than the hi-fi market, performance levels are outstanding at the price levels being discussed.

+1

I would say that trying to obtain a 'high performance' system with all the elements required any other way would be extremely difficult for that sort of money.

Of course this may all depend on what you consider 'high performance' to mean.

At the bare minimum then, you'll have to purchase an amplifier with inbuilt phono stage, a CD player, speaker cable + interconnects and a pair of floorstanders ( saving money by not having to buy speaker stands).

Possibly replace the speakers with headphones?

Still tricky unless, as stated, you simply wander in to RicherSounds and throw your money at them.

I am sure, with further contemplation, it might be possible to cobble together an adequate system but 'high performance'? I don't think so.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
In audio. Everything is relative. Depends on where someone is coming from. I always thought my system sounded crap. Till I heard some modest systems recently this vacation, that their owners rated very highly. And were also rated very highly on user forums. And on listening I realised they didn't even stand a chance. Maybe iam sounding snobby now. But I've recently found new found respect for my system.

And iam sure there are millions of systems out there, that would sound miles better than mine.

So which is a high performance system , and which is an absolute reference system are all debatable topics. So I don't really have a reply :)

insider9

gasolin said:
insider9 said:

First, im not upgrading

Second, it should be available for everybody, not depending what is for sale used, can and can you not listen to it before you buy it, not to talk about return it and warranty.

I could have said no price limited, but i wanted it to be somthing most cold afford if they wanted to, what would people chose,how big is the diffrence, cheap amp,expensive speakers, expensive amp, cheap speakers, focusing on source and speaker, any surprice choices?

Second hand market is huge. You can absolutely listen before you buy, or you simply refuse to buy. I've bought only one item in the last 3 years that I didn't listen to. These were the recent £40 PA speakers. I've auditioned every other component before I paid for it, or if I had to pay first I had a few weeks returns period. There are many dealers who deal in second hand gear and will accept returns. A lot of that gear is from trade-ins.

insider9 said:
gasolin said:
insider9 said:

First, im not upgrading

Second hand market is huge. You can absolutely listen before you buy, or you simply refuse to buy. I've bought only one item in the last 3 years that I didn't listen to. These were the recent £40 PA speakers. I've auditioned every other component before I paid for it, or if I had to pay first I had a few weeks returns period. There are many dealers who deal in second hand gear and will accept returns. A lot of that gear is from trade-ins.

True. What they might not be good at is offering warranties, however, as most new components only carry warranties for a year I see this as only a small issue.

Like yourself I only have one piece of equipment that I paid full price for and thats's the cartridge on my turntable (well, when I say full price I meant New, as I didn't even pay full retail for this either). I too managed to audition all other bits of my system whether second-hand or ex demo, which they all are.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It's hi-fi, not cars.

How often do cars break-down and how much do they cost to fix?

How often does hi-fi break-down and how much does it cost to fix?

What you could do is have 1980's type Grand Prix rules. When you could have a 3 litre normally aspirated engine or a 1.5 litre turbocharged engine.

So, set a budget of £1500 new and £750 used.

TRENDING THREADS