Ceramic bearing . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Copy of a post I did today elsewhere, you may be interested? . . . ?
(then again?)

I have acquired a ceramic type thrust ball bearing to fit my P5. I fitted it this afternoon, first issue was how do I remove the ruby bearing already there? I found a piece of silicon tube (tropical fish tank tube) 4mm id, 7mm od was perfect, ruby is about 4.75mm diamiter, pushed it over the ruby, it came out first time.

The first thing I noticed was how quickly the platter came up to speed, I'm giving it a bit of a run in period? . . . actualy its tea time, so I will have a listen after tea, see if I can hear a difference, I remember there was a small but distinct improvement when I went from steal to ruby . . .

Watch this space . . . CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Copy of a post I did today elsewhere, you may be interested? . . . ? (then again?) I have acquired a ceramic type thrust ball bearing to fit my P5. I fitted it this afternoon, first issue was how do I remove the ruby bearing already there? I found a piece of silicon tube (tropical fish tank tube) 4mm id, 7mm od was perfect, ruby is about 4.75mm diamiter, pushed it over the ruby, it came out first time. The first thing I noticed was how quickly the platter came up to speed, I'm giving it a bit of a run in period? . . . actualy its tea time, so I will have a listen after tea, see if I can hear a difference, I remember there was a small but distinct improvement when I went from steal to ruby . . . Watch this space . . . CJSF

Well here we are a couple of listening hours down the line, 'afternoon tea and toast' enjoyed, hoe does the P5 (much modified) and its ceramic thrust bearing sound . . .

I was not expecting much to be honest, thats how the recent mods have been, positive but not mind blowing, although as a whole, they represent a good move forward . . .

A little tiny ceramic ball hardly 5mm in diameter, cost less than £10. Wow, the first track on Jennifer Warnes 'Famouse Blue Raincoat' First we take Manhaten, has a base line that runs under it, especially the opening bars, power, extended, tight, her voice comes in dynamic, full of energy, thats how the rest of the album went. Then came Paul Simon, 'Graceland', one has always found this album a bit tinkly, slightly disjointed even, it was recorded over a very extended period, 18 months I believe I remember an inter view say that? Not now, fluid, powerful and dynamic, still got a bit of tinkle but the power brings it to life!

I then moved on to some jazz, in the guise of my 'Art Mastercut' copy of 'Jazz at the Pawnshop', a record I have played and heard played over and over, from way back in the 80's when the original was first released. I cannot remember ever hearing it sound more life like that it did this evening. The reality of the live minimalist Proprius recording was stunning.

And finally my beloved, Tallis Scholars and 'Miserere' the reality of Merton College Chapell took ones breath away, following this up with another Prorius recording, 'live church pipe organ' Faglarna OCH Kallorna' (sorry dont know any Swedish).

Summing it up, extended bass, clean, life like and dynamic. Ten ponds worth of heaven, IMHO.

Apologies if this sound OTT, but I say it as I hear it . . .

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Kudos to you for all these little tweaks! Well my RP6 is in standard form apart from a White Belt - I have changed form the Dyn 10x5 to a Nagaoka MP110 as I was finding the 10x5 too forward with the Elicit R phono.

Would be interested to know what sub platter you use on your P5? I keep looking at the GT Sub Platter - but then start thinking about a Gyro - however the Gyro is out the equation at the min!

Ceramic bearing? Where from may I ask?

Lets discuss.............

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Isokinetic GT sub platter, however they do a standard unit that is cheaper and seems to look like most of the other aftermarket subs? The GT has spiders, I have put damping in the voids, I also have the glass platter on rubber stand offs, the GT stand offs are brass. And of course the glass platter is treated in an unconventional manner, all covered in the past, most of which I have been 'put down' over, my P5 sounds like a million dollars. 8)

There have been stages through the tiny and more radical upgrades where one felt a big step forward was made, I feel these steps were the bringing together of more than one upgrade, a marriage if you like, where the sum of the parts was greater than the parts themselves. I think this is what might have happened in this case . . . To big a step to lay at the door of a ceramic thrust bearing on its own :? . . . ???? I dont know, what I do know, this is a major move forward, whatever, I'll take it as a positive move and enjoy the music. CJSF

PS, Ceramic from Isokinetic or fleBay.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
And I thought therre was nothing more I could do to my Inspired P3 :)

For a tenner, worth a shot..

I too, did not think there was anything significant I could do . . . Yep, for the money I thought everything to gain . . . and what a gain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321237734682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171011833478?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

CJSF :cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
CJSF said:
Copy of a post I did today elsewhere, you may be interested? . . . ? (then again?) I have acquired a ceramic type thrust ball bearing to fit my P5. I fitted it this afternoon, first issue was how do I remove the ruby bearing already there? I found a piece of silicon tube (tropical fish tank tube) 4mm id, 7mm od was perfect, ruby is about 4.75mm diamiter, pushed it over the ruby, it came out first time. The first thing I noticed was how quickly the platter came up to speed, I'm giving it a bit of a run in period? . . . actualy its tea time, so I will have a listen after tea, see if I can hear a difference, I remember there was a small but distinct improvement when I went from steal to ruby . . . Watch this space . . . CJSF

Well here we are a couple of listening hours down the line, 'afternoon tea and toast' enjoyed, hoe does the P5 (much modified) and its ceramic thrust bearing sound . . . I was not expecting much to be honest, thats how the recent mods have been, positive but not mind blowing, although as a whole, they represent a good move forward . . . A little tiny ceramic ball hardly 5mm in diameter, cost less than £10. Wow, the first track on Jennifer Warnes 'Famouse Blue Raincoat' First we take Manhaten, has a base line that runs under it, especially the opening bars, power, extended, tight, her voice comes in dynamic, full of energy, thats how the rest of the album went. Then came Paul Simon, 'Graceland', one has always found this album a bit tinkly, slightly disjointed even, it was recorded over a very extended period, 18 months I believe I remember an inter view say that? Not now, fluid, powerful and dynamic, still got a bit of tinkle but the power brings it to life! I then moved on to some jazz, in the guise of my 'Art Mastercut' copy of 'Jazz at the Pawnshop', a record I have played and heard played over and over, from way back in the 80's when the original was first released. I cannot remember ever hearing it sound more life like that it did this evening. The reality of the live minimalist Proprius recording was stunning. And finally my beloved, Tallis Scholars and 'Miserere' the reality of Merton College Chapell took ones breath away, following this up with another Prorius recording, 'live church pipe organ' Faglarna OCH Kallorna' (sorry dont know any Swedish). Summing it up, extended bass, clean, life like and dynamic. Ten ponds worth of heaven, IMHO. Apologies if this sound OTT, but I say it as I hear it . . . CJSF

Very interesting. You may want to try Jennifer Warnes the Well which is even better than FBR. As for live jazz that is well recorded as used in many hifi demos but not the best playing, you could try Shelley Manne at the Blackhawk, Bill Evans Waltz for Debbie and Art Pepper Blues for the Fisherman.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Big H, yes I have not got 'the Well' on vinyl, but on spotify showes it pedigree, it is vey good, I listen a lot to the original pressing, Spotify has the remastered version as well, flat, almost mechanical in comparison. When I see a 'reasonably priced' copy of the original I will invest.

I'll have a look at the recomendations, thanks.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
Those ceramic beaings probably cost pennies — nice upgrade if it makes the difference.

Thats a bit negative JC . . . at the price its worth a try aint it? For less than a tenner I had a pleasurable, positive experiance.

CJSF

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
CJSF said:
jcarruthers said:
Those ceramic beaings probably cost pennies — nice upgrade if it makes the difference.

Thats a bit negative JC . . . at the price its worth a try aint it? For less than a tenner I had a pleasurable, positive experiance.

CJSF

I'm positive! I just ordered one — worth the try if it makes the difference.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
CJSF said:
jcarruthers said:

CJSF

I'm positive! I just ordered one — worth the try if it makes the difference.

:cheers:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi BigH . . . re Jazz at the Pawn Shop:

' . . . As for live jazz that is well recorded as used in many hifi demos but not the best playing . . . '

Cant disagree with you there mate, but life is like that, enthusiasm and reality makes up for a lot dont you think?

CJSF

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Hi BigH . . . re Jazz at the Pawn Shop:

' . . . As for live jazz that is well recorded as used in many hifi demos but not the best playing . . . '

Cant disagree with you there mate, but life is like that, enthusiasm and reality makes up for a lot dont you think?

CJSF

Yes quite so, in fact someone had a theory about the best recorded music was not the best performed and I think he has a point althogh there are some exceptions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts