Centre Speaker dilemma please educate the ignorant

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I got my KEF IQ5SE fronts, the rest of my surround / sub is the original Kef 2001 eggs, me thinks I need a new centre speaker as the egg is sounding a little out of its depth, I had decided on the KEF IQ2c but they are discontinued, I need a black one and the few out there seem to be brown (£100). BTW my receiver is the Onkyo TXSR607. Anyway the replacement model for the IQ2c is the IQ60c @ £300 which is too much for me so I have some choices:

1. Go for a different make of centre - any suggestions welcome.

2. Don't laugh too much - buy a brown IQ2c speaker and carefully stain it black - not sure if this is feasible- yes it sounds stoppid but hey wood can be stained - will it screw up the sound? I dunno........

3. Buy the brown one and hope it doesnt look too odd.

4. I could keep quiet and stick with what I have.

Yes I am kicking myself for not picking the centre up when I got the fronts a few months ago ......

All advice and merciless mick taking welcome ......

Doh

Martin

Messiah

Alright Martin,

You would certainly be better of buying the matching centre for starters.

Whether you stain it is up to you! If you are careful it should not be a problem.

Maybe you could get a black one off ebay or contact KEF direct as they may be able to help out??

A

Anonymous

What he said. KEF will almost certainly have something kicking about somewhere.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all, I'm gonna give KEF another call tomorrow and see if they can help find me a black one in their warehouse.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
There's a Q9C on eBay which seems to be black. The description is a bit light, but the guy is willing to post (from Basildon)

Would post a link for you, but it keeps going in on my account. Just do a search.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
For the time being id be turning the center off you have now and use the fronts to drive the center information

Id also be considering changing the rears to suit at some point too

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I would give KEF a call and I am sure they will be able to locate a black one for you (staining a Walnut one black is not a option as the outer finish is not propper wood) whilst on the phone I would also see if they can locate you a pair of iQ1's for your rears.

I have a slightly larger iQ set up and love them (iQ9's,iQ3's and a iQ6c)
emotion-21.gif

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
I did exactly the same, got the IQ5SE's and was running the 2005.2 set up. I managed to get a matching IQ2C on Ebay, but needed matching IQ1's for rears. I could not get, so I bought walnut, then took a trip to B&Q and went all Blue Peter with Sticky Black Plastic. Was really proud of the job and whilst not an exact match, saved me alot of waiting around for the maple I needed. System sounds great and just upgraded to QED Revelation cable, sounds awesome.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all I ended up with a walnut but it looks ok and sounds good :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts