Celestion A3 replacements

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've got a pair of Celestion A3's powered by a bonnec amp linked to a Tag McLaren DVD32R and AV32R. Whilst I really enjoy the end results, I have recently had to move house and the A3's are proving a bit of a sore point with her indoors!

Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement (budget approx £2k or so) that will give me similar performance to the A3's? The replacement needs to be a bit smaller and be aesthetically pleasing to the eye to help with the 'approval' side of things! Perhaps I'm asking too much.....

I recently had a quick listen to a pair of B&W CM7's but wasn't at all impressed. Are the CM9's significantly better and perhaps closer to the mark?

Any help/thoughts would be most appreciated.

Alastair

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Man, you've got yer work cut out. I worked on the prototype A3 and it's an awesome loudspeaker.

If you want to keep the bass range, I think Proac may be the way to go. ANYTHING is smaller than A3 but you will have to comprimise the bass weight IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Richard. I have to agree. I do really like these speakers but the size is causing problems elsewhere (if you see what I mean!). I've been out of the hifi kit market area for a few years now so I'm not really up on what's available.

A

Anonymous

Any other thoughts? I know responses are down to being lucky about who's around at the time but I could really do with some input on this one... anyone got any experience with the B&W CM9's or similar around that price range?

A

Anonymous

Can anyone help?
emotion-18.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
A3 was a great speakers for the price and I doubt if the suggested B&W would be much better, different sound may be. I haven't been follow £2K speakers for the last few years but what did stand out from my memory would be Roksan FR-5 which have a lively sound and great bass although not quite as smooth in the mid as the A3 (bearing in mind that last time I heard the A3 was years ago), apart from that I guess GamuT Phi 5, if you can find a pair ex-demo, are well worth a look.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts