Celebration Day - Zep. Thoughts?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've had the CD/Blu-ray of this since Monday, and I've got to say how much I'm enjoying it.

Not had the opportunity to devour it in one sitting, but in nightly episodes. It was great to have all my reservations about a group of 60 year olds (plus Jason) tradicing their formidable reputation swept aside almost instantly.

So many highlights, a blistering Nobody's Fault But Mine is currently playing, even the guitar-shop anthem of Stairway is somehow given a poignancy and revitalised rendering here.

The Blu-ray is pretty good sound wise, 2 channel LPCM for me, and the visuals great too.

Anyone else enjoying this or otherwise?

T

the record spot

Loving it. Bought the 4CD boxset last Monday too and the Blu-Ray Audio disc as well (bit of a fan here). Mind bogglingly good and sound quality is amazing. You get the real impact of the show and while there are many highlights, my favourte has to be Kashmir. Played it to death on the Touch this week. Factastic release; for £22 the 4-disc set is well worth the outlay - you get the Shepperton dress rehearsal as well. :clap:

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Being a led zep fan I loved it. Good to see Page gurning away and although Plant cannot hit the high notes, his adjusted his style superbly. Only criticism was with the cds as it didn't give a flow of the concert. After some songs there is a pause and then the next one starts, which breaks the flow. To me it didn't appear it was one single concert and could have been a collection of live songs from any concerts ~ which was not the case. some crowd noise would have been welcomed. Cd's ordinary. But this is me being very critical, for any Zep fan a must purchase. For others just get the studio albums. My misses hated it but that's good as she loves X factor !

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
CDs were nothing special IMHO, the drums lacked 'snap' and the mix generally very muddled. Sheer "thrash" and volume seemed to be the only goal.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi my son is going to treat me to these albums + blu rays for my Birthday Led Zepplins How the west was won is IMHO the very best live albums for content showing the magic that was Led Zepplin just the way the music flows changing direction at the drop of a hat not missing a beat now thats class if the O2 recordinds are as good I will be a very happy man:rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

Martinblueboy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with others here. The CDs really do bring across the power of the band more so than either TSRTS or HTWWW, however, that might be more to do with the modern PA and recording technique. Where I do agree with some views here is that the flow of the concert has been ruined by the cutting of the "Plantations" between songs. The same can be said of their prior live albums too, in particular HTWWW. I haven't had time to sit and watch the Blu-ray yet and it will be interesting to see if that fills in some of the gaps. All in all though, the more live Zep there is, the better imho. I'm glad they didn't let Kevin Shirley anywhere near it; he'd have compressed the living daylights out of it as usual!

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi The Record Spot - thought you might like to know that Jimmy Page is featured in the latest issue of Rolling Stone. He was asked which is his favourite Zepp riff.

His reply? Kashmir!:rockout: :dance:

A

Anonymous

Only heard the cd's but have to agree with the amcluesent.

The mixing/engineering isn't good enough, I realise with this kind if thing it's about being there, but the quality isn't good on the audio cd's.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Nogsk said:
Only heard the cd's but have to agree with the amcluesent.

The mixing/engineering isn't good enough, I realise with this kind if thing it's about being there, but the quality isn't good on the audio cd's.

I'm enjoying the Blu-ray and the CD, but agree, partially, that the sound quality is a let down in places. It's always the drums that sound either brilliant or bloated. Vocals, guitars, bass and keyboards all sound stunning at various times, then that signature "Bonham" sound, so thunderously captured in the studio recordings, erupts all over the place and, in my system, often obliterates the soundstage and reduces it all to a rag bag clatter.

Yet, in other parts of the set (Nobody's Fault, Stairway, Kashmir, Misty Mountain Hop) the drums sound great and bring the whole thing alive, truly conveying the live vibe.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
How does it compare with "How the West was won" for sound quality and content?

ie. If you were only getting one of them, which would it be?

A

Anonymous

What's disappointing is that this stand out moment was an opportunity to capture this legendary band in the kind of quality that wasn't attainable back in the 70's.

The technology and expertise is available to record great live performances, take the Eagles Hell Freezes over, The Saturday Sessions at the BBC.

I expect in a few years time a digitally remastered version will appear, probably twice the price!

Having said that I rate the Zep remastera, and I've been listening since '72, Led Zep 11 was the first album I ever bought.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, a bit of a let down, I was going to get the cd's of this, maybe I should wait to see if a more cohesive audio package comes out.

I had tickets for Later.. a couple of weeks ago and was thrilled JP was going to be on it but he only plugged Celebration day which was a bit of a damp squib.

Led Zep III is the one for me.

Went to see them twice at knebworth by climbing over the fences, you got over the top and landed where everyone had been peeing, lovely.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Oh, a bit of a let down, I was going to get the cd's of this, maybe I should wait to see if a more cohesive audio package comes out. I had tickets for Later.. a couple of weeks ago and was thrilled JP was going to be on it but he only plugged Celebration day which was a bit of a damp squib. Led Zep III is the one for me. Went to see them twice at knebworth by climbing over the fences, you got over the top and landed where everyone had been peeing, lovely.

Was that in 1979 you must be older than you look :rofl: :rofl: I saw Genesis in 1978 But missed the big one:)

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Is there a difference between the Blu Ray Region Free and the EU (Region 2?) only versions? I'm mainly concerned with the audio rather than video playback.

The Amazon site says the EU version is recorded at 25 fps, rather than 24 fps for Region Free, so will it mean better audio too? I know it is better sound for vinyl recorded at 45 rpm 12".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts