CDP for Yamaha AS500

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Help me out in choosing between these two CDP (marantz cd5004 or CA 350c)for the yamaha as500 + kef combo?

Mostly listen to hard rocks and jazz!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You seem to have posted lots of different threads asking about the sound quality of your amplifier, your speakers, your existing DVD/CD player and you also said somewhere that you also have a lot of CD ripped to FLAC and stored on your PC. Out of interest how do you play your music on your PC through your hifi, if at all?

You have already listed some possible routes to go down:

1. Change the Philips DVD player to a 'better 'dedicated CD player

2. Add a DAC to the Philips DVD player to improve the DVD player audio quality

3. Play your music from your PC through a DAC

If you bought a DAC with aynchronous USB input and SPDIF input, then you can have options (2) and (3) available to you and it is quite possible that the audio quality using your DVD player only as a transport might be better.

Choose option (1) or (2) if you mainly listen to your music on disc, and prefer putting CDs into your player.

I wouldn't change your speakers or amp just yet.

There are other options such as using a decdiated network player, or active speakers, or a network receiver etc., but not sure if that is a way to go for you.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
If you are going down the CD player route go for the Marantz CD6004. I've got a CD6003 and it is superb. I think you'd struggle to significantly improve on it at anything close to the price.

Unless the OP is happy to go second hand.........Marantz CD63 MkII KI players go for closer to the price of the CD5004, which I assume is the budget as its been mentioned....

matthewpiano

The CD6003/6004 will stand shoulder to shoulder with the KI-Sig and have the benefit of not being old. I've also got a CD63SE and have had a CD63 KI Signature and I'd rather listen to the 6003 than either of them.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm quite surprised by that.....considering the reviews on the KI model.

Bought mine off ebay for £120 about 6 years ago, and (touch wood) it hasn't missed a beat since, so I guess I'm either lucky or they stand the test of time well.....

matthewpiano

Pistol Pete1 said:
I'm quite surprised by that.....considering the reviews on the KI model. Bought mine off ebay for £120 about 6 years ago, and (touch wood) it hasn't missed a beat since, so I guess I'm either lucky or they stand the test of time well.....

I think Marantz stuff is very reliable to be fair and I've always felt CD players are their real strength. My CD63SE is still going strong too. Don't get me wrong, I rate the '63 models very very highly and I think they are better than most, I just find the 6003 more enjoyable. It is only by a small margin though!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts