CDP for Musical Fidelity headphone setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I've got a MF X-Can v8 with AKG K701 headphones and am looking for a CDP to go with it. Therefore, I'd be grateful for any advice on which makes/models might go well with the MF.

I don't want to spend more than £300, so I think s/h. Obviously, a matching X-Ray is very tempting, but I'd be interested in other makes, too. Any good advice on what might go well?

I listen mostly to classical and jazz, looking for good detail, soundstage and stereo imaging. Also, I prefer warm-ish over bright-ish sound.

I've got a Rega Planet 2000 in my main system and love it. Ideally, I'd like to get something that good or better.

Any advice appreciated!

Hedgehog

T

the record spot

Don't know about warm, but it certainly isn't bright, my CDP if you can get one at your price, would do the trick nicely. I listen to it for hours on end and it's one of those players that lets you concentrate on the music - detail, scale, soundstage, the lot.

A

Anonymous

Record Spot,

Yes, I was wondering about non-entry level Marantz. How much did you pay for yours though? They seem to go for £470 or so on eBay. The possibility of playing SACDs appeals, too, as I have some hybrids.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

Any more thoughts on a suitable CDP for my MF-based headphone setup? I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I've also been thinking of trying it out with an Arcam CD73. They seem to go for around £200 on Ebay nowadays. Any thoughts on how it would compare with my Rega Planet (2000)? And how it would work with the X-Can?

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I would recommend a cyrus 7Q .I am find it to be a excellent sounding player, with great base and detail and very warm for a cyrus player.

You should find a good one for around s/h for £300. I have one in a graham slee HD 650 set up and love it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, legin3. I've read many good things about the 7Q, but wonder whether it'll go well with MF. And there aren't that many around at the moment, it seems...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks a lot,

Hedgehog

idc

Have you tried your existing Rega with the MF? Did you like it? If not why not? That may help with getting more answers.

EDIT - I was just thinking what I would get if I were to go back and get a CDP and it struck me that I would audition Cyrus first as the size more or less matches the MF amp.

A

Anonymous

Hi idc,

I haven't had much of a chance to try the Rega Planet with the X-CAN, but I tried it for a bit and found the sound excellent. I wonder, though, whether a more modern, possibly upsampling, player would increase detail and openness even further and make those K701s shine.

I'm aware that you're the second person to recommend Cyrus. I just wonder about the synergy (or lack of it) with the sonic character of the MF.

Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

The only players i have owned are the audiolab 8000(new model).This was a very good player for the money,with a very neutral sound.but not in the same league as the cyrus.

I have also owned a arcam 192. this i did not like very much.I found it to be a bit bright with headphones..Not what you would expect from arcam.

If you can find a cyrus 7q for £300 or less i don't think you could buy much better for that sort of money.

As for it working with the x-can i cant help.But i cant see it not working well.

idc

Hedgehog:

I'm aware that you're the second person to recommend Cyrus. I just wonder about the synergy (or lack of it) with the sonic character of the MF.

Hedgehog, I only thought out loud about the Cyrus due to its size. I have no idea about synergy! In reality my budget would not streatch as far as Cyrus. What I would do is arrange a listening session of CDPs at a local dealer as the amp and cans are easily transported there.

Of CDPs I have owned in the past, which is not many, I would say my Arcam CD62 would be my guess as to what would have sounded best with the MF. I like detail and I found the Arcam to be more detailed than CDPs from Marantz and NAD. But I am going back to 2001.

A

Anonymous

Hi again, idc (and legin3),

Interesting nonetheless, the Cyrus idea, but I could at best stretch to £300. I might give it a try.

Your Arcam experience (idc) is closer to mine than legin3's: I've heard the CD192 repeatedly, because a good friend has it, and I don't find it bright at all. Plus, the X-Can would do something about that, too. Hence my idea of a CD73, which could be had for £200 at most, I recken, and that would suit me price-wise.

My worry about the Cyrus, legin3, is that it's been discontined for a while, so any s/h buy will be of a machine that's seen years of use. I'm not dicounting it at this stage, just thinking...

Unfortunately, it won't be easy for me to demo with my kit, as it is in Dublin, but I look to buy in London, where everything is much cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Hedgehog

idc

Hopefully your friend would let you borrow the Arcam and at least you can give yourself a starter for 10 with it and your Rega. What else can you get your hands on? What about an ipod? I use one to great effect and IMHO it is the equal of a £200 CDP with with abilities way beyond any CDP.

A

Anonymous

I know what you mean about the age of a 7q.

It might be worth you looking here www.rdhworld.co.uk/punbb/index.php.. Many on here will tell you that it is there best player both for sound and build.

hope it helps

Anyway good luck with your search.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, again, legin3, I've been reading there on and off for a while and like it...

Thanks for your advice. I'll report back when I've got some news.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

John, I know, I've been looking for days and none come up. Seems like the logical thing to do and slightly cheaper than the v8. Only by about £100 though, and that includes the PSU in the latter case. I'm wondering...

Do you know the X-Ray v3? Could you tell me a bit more about it?

Hedgehog

John Duncan

Yup, assuredly the best CD player I've had. Not a 'rock' player (and I had to get rid of it when I was strapped for cash), but it was smooth and detailed and lifelike and actually made me cry once. Bit of a dodgy disc tray for what was a 900 quid player, but other than that beautifully made.

Hang on for a little while, I think one will come up in your price band.

A

Anonymous

I know that you're right, and I do have the time to wait a bit longer, since I can listen through my MacBook via the internal dac of the X-Can for a few more weeks, I guess...

The X-Ray is so attractive because it fits optically, seems to sound superb and would even represent an upgrade over the Planet when I'll merge the two systems eventually. I'm just so bloody impatient!!

Thanks, anyway, John.

Hedgehog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts