CD192 Tempramental with CD-Rs

rgill90

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi All and Happy New Year!

I've an Arcam CD192 which works fine, but is a little tempramental with CD-R's. I've tried TDK's and Sony's - the ones on offer in Tesco, 20 for a fiver in a round cakebox. Trouble is when writing them on my mac, it sometimes doesn;t want to play the first track or doesn;t read them properly. I've put a cleaner into the CD192 but still no joy.

So just wondered if anyone had a tried and tested CD-R brand with a CD192 when writing from a computer. The manual says "Compatible with Most CD-R and R/Ws" - but thats a bit too wolly for my liking.

Cheers

Rich

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've had the same problem with mine, it had the laser replaced under warranty, but can still be a bit fussy about discs. Think it's a common problem.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why not sling a cable (or even a DAC) between your Mac and the hifi? *

Ripping your downloaded music files to CD then playing them on the Arcam is a time consuming and unwieldy way to do things in comparison. (Not to mention the extra storage space for the discs.)

* Given that you use a Mac, an Airport Express would be perfect for this.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Rich - my old CD93 started to become temperamental with CD-Rs and it ended up going away to have the laser replaced. I hate to say it, but you could well end up having to get it repaired. You could try phoning Arcam and see what they say, but I would have thought most CD-Rs ought to be suitable as long as they've been encoded as audio CDs and finalised properly (i.e. you can't just dump a load of WAV files on the disc and expect it to play).

My experience of Arcam CD players' reliability has mostly been terrible. My first (Alpha 8SE) had to be repaired about 3 times and the CD93 twice if I remember correctly. The last one I had (CD37) was fine, but then I didn't have it for very long.

rgill90

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Cheers all

Chebby - its only for the odd CD-R and it doesn't warrant buying extra kit for. (got a few music DVDs i've taken the soundtrack from and want in my CD collection)

Nice one, Turnip - Ta for that. I can;t think It's a laser problem, just the arcam being selective over CD-Rs - anyways i've been doing some experimenting since i wrote this. Found a Phillips CD-R i got from work a while back and burned that DVD soundtrack to it and it plays perfectly....burning the same thing to a TDK CD-R it doesn;t want to know about the first track, but plays all the rest - tried it 3 times with consistent results so it seems to have an issue with any CD-R other than a Phillips. Wierd I know....

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
rgill90:
Hi All and Happy New Year!

I've an Arcam CD192 which works fine, but is a little tempramental with CD-R's. I've tried TDK's and Sony's - the ones on offer in Tesco, 20 for a fiver in a round cakebox. Trouble is when writing them on my mac, it sometimes doesn;t want to play the first track or doesn;t read them properly. I've put a cleaner into the CD192 but still no joy.

So just wondered if anyone had a tried and tested CD-R brand with a CD192 when writing from a computer. The manual says "Compatible with Most CD-R and R/Ws" - but thats a bit too wolly for my liking.

Cheers

Rich

Hi.

I've had the same problem. I cured the problem by dropping the sample rate and using Audio Grade CDRs. JVC. 5 for a quid from poundshop to be honest. I record my CDs at no more than 96kbits and that seems to work. 192 Kbits is OK for recording on a data CD but I got jitter and skipping when playing back on an audio CD player. Played fine on the RAM drive in the PC tho.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts