CD UPGRADE

tenerifediver

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
I am considering upgrading my CD player but am a bit miffed in my decision making abilities.

Living in Tenerife doesn't help either, as I am unlikely to get a unit to audition!:

My current set up is this:

Amp: Myryad Z140

CD: Arcam Alpha 7se

Speakers: AE Aegis Three

Cables: Chord Rumour (Not bi-wired)

Interconnects: From CD to Amp: CableTalk (Purple).

I tend to listen to rock and classical. The units I am looking at are the Rega Saturn or Apollo, Cyrus CD8SE or CD6SE. At age 49, are the more expensive units going to give me that extra......stuff? Indeed, how inferior is my 7se???

HELP!

Thanks

Graham

Tenerife

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Graham

I'd wholeheartedly recommend one of the two Cyrus players. Trouble is, they're so good, you may end up wanting to upgrade the rest of your system as well!

John Duncan

Andy Clough:
Hi Graham

I'd wholeheartedly recommend one of the two Cyrus players. Trouble is, they're so good, you may end up wanting to upgrade the rest of your system as well!

And talking of ugly sticks......

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The Cyruses are ugly on a small scale, though - like Billy Bremner or Danni Minogue.
The trouble with ugly multichannel receivers is there's so much of them to be ugly.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Don't bother with the Rega CDP's. Their operational issues are legendary. When I was auditioning them, I thought I could live with their quirks, but I was annoyed within 10 minutes. I couldn't really warm up to the sound, either. If the similar issues on the Cyrus CDP's have been smoothed out, it will be a worthwhile improvement. I'm a source first guy and continuing to build my system from the source down at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Hi batonwielder,

could you elaborate on this last comment? I just bought a Rega Planet CD player, which may be up to 8 years old, and in the month I've had it, it has not shown any faults or quirks. Should I be concerned?

Cheers,

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I'm not giving advice as Graham is in Tenerife and this Graham is in rainy Durham..........

Seriously, pro comments welcomed re: the real 'gap' - if anything - between Alpha 7SE and newer kit..........

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Oh, is that the Planet 2000? It should be fine. I was referring to the current models. The implemented software is drastically different and it came with a price. What a shame...

A

Anonymous

It is, I think. It looks like the Apollo (CD tray in the middle of the top), rather than the older one.

It would be sad if the newer ones were different, as this one is great, as far as I can tell.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Cyrus is a good call considering the warmish sound from your Amp. The speakers are still decent at this level (a bit on the bright side). I never like the Arcam 7SE even when it was the hottest recomendation all that years ago.

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
would somebody care to elaborate on thease so called rega problems. I have owned an apollo for 3 months, and have had no problems
emotion-42.gif

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
evo6tme:would somebody care to elaborate on thease so called rega problems. I have owned an apollo for 3 months, and have had no problems
emotion-42.gif

If I were you I would get rid of it. Maybe you will get lucky but it seems the problem usually starts between 6 months to a year of ownership. Once it starts it gets worse and worse. When I was upgrading my CDP, I went to four different Rega dealers to audition the Apollo, and none of them would function properly while I was there. I thought it was a well-known problem.

I'm a big Rega fan, and really wanted to like the Apollo, but it was not something I could live with.

tenerifediver

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
OK Andy. Thanks for the advice. CD8SE it is then! I know what you mean about the further upgrading, but it's a bit like p.c's.......when do you stop!? Oh all right. It's nothing like p.c's, but you get my drift!

I take it bi-wiring will help too....

Thanks again

Graham

Tenerife

T

the record spot

How about a few alternatives; whilst the C8SE is the one on everyone's lips, let's not write off some other examples in that price range - Eastern Electric Minimax, Vincent, Exposure 3010, Rega Planet to name but four, are all options. Worth thinking about a little maybe?

tenerifediver

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm............cd6se seems a winner. But then the CA 840C pops into the equation. What do you think?

Thanks for your views

Incidentally, are you personally involved in the HIFI industry or "just" a techie surrounded by kit we mortals can only dribble over?? :)

A

Anonymous

WELL, it all depends on what you can get. I assume you're paying through the nose anyway owing to your location.

I recommend, above all else the Jolida JD100. Jolida's sort of a North America only company (so far) I gather. But it's absolutely gangbusters for the money. I've heard the Cyrus' and at a fraction the price (Cyrus is pricey over here) it absolutely batters the competition. The best part is the thing's upgradeable! Hopefully someone else on here has heard it?

matthewpiano

batonwielder:
evo6tme:would somebody care to elaborate on thease so called rega problems. I have owned an apollo for 3 months, and have had no problems
emotion-42.gif

If I were you I would get rid of it. Maybe you will get lucky but it seems the problem usually starts between 6 months to a year of ownership. Once it starts it gets worse and worse. When I was upgrading my CDP, I went to four different Rega dealers to audition the Apollo, and none of them would function properly while I was there. I thought it was a well-known problem.

I'm a big Rega fan, and really wanted to like the Apollo, but it was not something I could live with.

I have become aware of the same issues. It seems the complex software gets itself in a muddle from time to time and then finds it difficult to read some discs. I believe that resetting it every few days by unplugging it for a few minutes sorts the issue out, but at £598 why should you have to do that? Now I'm not one for believing too much forum talk about reliability issues until I've seen hard evidence, but I can't afford to end up with a lame duck this time. Whatever I buy now HAS to last me a few years of enjoyable AND reliable operation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts