CD Transport or Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I recently acquired a Benchmark DAC1, which is the first step on the road to changing my system to an all digital set-up. I have all my music on an external drive, which I stream wirelessly to a Squeezebox and then to DAC and amplifier.

I would still like the ability to play compact discs so need a player or better still a dedicated transport. It just seems that are a plenty of players with digital output but all the transports I can find seem to come with a thousand pound plus price tag. I really don’t want to buy a cheap player with a low quality transport that probably needs replacing fairly quickly and also not use the rest of the rest of the electronics (DAC etc). I also feel that fifteen hundred pounds for something like the Cyrus transport is a bit over the top.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

How about buying a second hand one - I got an Audiolab CDM transport for about 400 quid some years ago. They must still be around.

David

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest you seek out a used Meridian 500 transport (not that I'm biased...).

I picked up mine for £300 in fleabay - try to find a Mk II version if you can.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rega Apollo.

£475

Simple top loader mechanism with less moving parts to go wrong.

If your Benchmark ever needs repair then you would still have a good standard of CD replay to fall back on.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only drawback about buying older players/transports is that many of the older laser mechanisms are no longer available. Do check with the manufacturer about serviceability before spending your hard earned cash on what was a luxury player at the time - however tempting it is!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. I agree I would rather buy new with a guarantee and also spare parts would (hopefully) be available.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the Cyrus CD Xt SE+? I must admit I'm a little put off about reports of reliabilty problems.

I am a bit suprised that more companies are not thinking about transports as there are now many uses for stand alone DAC's and I feel that reports that C.D. is dead are a little premature.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Well if you want to save money a Pioneer stable platter CD Player makes a great transport.

I own a PD-S705 (bagged in mint condition on eBay for £39).

This stable platter transport was used in high-end Wadia machines. Also the Pioneer allows you to switch off the analogue outputs so the machine acts as a Digital transport only.

The Pioneer is fast, quiet and reads even the most scratched up discs.

A

Anonymous

So is it safe to say that problems Cyrus had with reading disks is now fixed?

A

Anonymous

zekezebra:So is it safe to say that problems Cyrus had with reading disks is now fixed?

Well.... HFC tested the new cdxtse++++++++ or whatever in march 2010 issue and it appears still to be an issue. I think its fair to say if you want to buy one make sure you get a real good long demo with lots of discs.....like I said before ...this really should not be still an issue....but it is.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Certainly true that the SE players don't like anything other than 'Red Book' CD's (ie not CD-R).

As I say, no issues with my 2010 model which I have had for some months.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i had one on home dem, it still doesn't feel like the most robust slot loader i've used, and there is a knack to getting it to take a disc from you so it reads it. seemed a bit smoother then my mac but maybe not as detailed, small difference though.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
zekezebra:
Hi All

I recently acquired a Benchmark DAC1, which is the first step on the road to changing my system to an all digital set-up. I have all my music on an external drive, which I stream wirelessly to a Squeezebox and then to DAC and amplifier.

I would still like the ability to play compact discs so need a player or better still a dedicated transport. It just seems that are a plenty of players with digital output but all the transports I can find seem to come with a thousand pound plus price tag. I really don't want to buy a cheap player with a low quality transport that probably needs replacing fairly quickly and also not use the rest of the rest of the electronics (DAC etc). I also feel that fifteen hundred pounds for something like the Cyrus transport is a bit over the top.

If you have all your music on an HDD, why would you want to use a CDP? I don't get it.

zekezebra:

Hi All

I would still like the ability to play compact discs so need a player or better still a dedicated transport. It just seems that are a plenty of players with digital output but all the transports I can find seem to come with a thousand pound plus price tag. I really don't want to buy a cheap player with a low quality transport that probably needs replacing fairly quickly and also not use the rest of the rest of the electronics (DAC etc). I also feel that fifteen hundred pounds for something like the Cyrus transport is a bit over the top.

Hi zekzebra

If it is to be used a transport only than the player i would highly recommend is Yamaha's CD-S700. It has the same superb transport/drive as the one used in their massive CD-S1000/CD-S2000 players.

I have used the CD-S700 as a transport with the Naim DAC and the Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC and it has worked superbly with both of them.

These Yamaha cd transports/drive are superb and can show some more expensive alternatives a thing or two. Best of all they work time after time.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

From a previous reply:
If you have all your music on an HDD, why would you want to use a CDP? I don't get it.

Two reasons:

[*]My partner, who does not live with me, is an avid buyer of C.D.'s which she often brings around and wants to play them straight away.
Sometimes the wireless network can be a bit patchy so it's good to be able to still play the C.D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts