CD to match a NAIM Nait XS and Spendor A5s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello. I'm upgrading an old Arcam Alpha system as the amp has started to distort.

After a marathon demo session, I've opted for the Naim Nait XS amp and Spendor A5 speakers. I ordered the Naim CD5i-2 but I'm having second thoughts and might change the CD order. I took my Arcam Alpha 7 CD to the demo, and with the above amp and speakers the difference between the old Arcam and the new Naim CDP was not that clear to me (although my daughter said the Naim was much better).

I'm interested in views to help narrow it down - there is a limit to the permutations and combinations you can try in a demo (and the differences diminish as you spend time in the windowless room).

Is the CD5i-2 a good match for the Nait XS and Spendors, or a step below in quality? Is it hugely better than the old Arcam Alpha 7 (I know I'm in the best position to judge this, but I was suffering demo fatigue by that stage)? My options include: stick with the Alpha 7 (for now), take the CD5i-2, or go to a better CD. Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Have a look at the Naim forum and you'll see some discussions about the 5i in comparison to the 5x.

Having heard Naim gear on the odd occasion, I'd say that while Naim gear seems to go well together, there's no reason why you shouldn't try something else. The Rega CD players are said to go well with Naim - I've heard the Planet with a 5i and it sounded pretty good.

Alternatively, why not keep the Arcam if it sounds OK?

A

Anonymous

With the XS, you are knocking on the door of the 5X, whichÿarguablyÿwill give more into the system, which the XS will love....

You obviously like the Naim sound having gone for the XS and 5i, so personally I would stay within the camp...You are going to alter the synergy somewhat with another CDP, especially something like a Arcam!

Depends if you can stretch your budget ?

It will also allow you to put a first foot onto the Naim upgrade path, should you be interested. The 5X with the Flatcap is a great combination. Try and get to listen to a 'bare' 5X though if you can't stretch to the Flatcap straight away, as some don't like it's sound without the separate PSU...ÿ

Enjoy!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Be careful, Stephen. What SC says is correct, but it can also be the path to hell! The streets of Salisbury are lined with Naim junkies begging for a few pence just so they can have a separate mains spur...

Anyway, you're going to have a terrific system whether you get bitten by the upgrade bug or not.

A

Anonymous

Sound advice, all. Has anyone experience of the Cyrus 8SE with the XS? It gets rave reviews and is significantly cheaper than the CDXS.

Thanks - can't wait to receve it all!

A

Anonymous

If you're buying new, you would be better off sticking with Naim. Not saying that the Cyrus wouldn't go well, but that Naim components really do perform better together, and it does let you into the upgrade path as SC suggests.

Try putting the question on the Naim forum too - those Naimies are a knowledgeable lot.

matthewpiano

I'd either stick with a Naim CD player or try the brilliant Rega Apollo which punches well above its price point and works very well with Naim amplification. Sounds like a nice system you're building.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Several interesting-looking CD5s, and even a CD3.5 with power supply, on fleabay at the moment...

Yeah...been a good few 555's thrown in there, and elsewhere, too ! Almost as good an economic indicator as freight costs !

A

Anonymous

Just an update for the record.

With the Spendor A5s and the Naim Nait XS, I home demo'd the Naim CD5x and the Cyrus CD8SE as well as my original Arcam Alpha 7 CD. The Cyrus irritated me with its slow loading (and repeated failure to load one or two of my CDs). After trying hard over a day, I could barely hear a difference between the Naim and the Arcam, with the Arcam having a very slightly clearer sound, so I opted to save the cash and stick with the one I already owned. Thanks to the dealer in Worcester (the only one who stocks these brands) who let me dither in this way.

I'll enjoy what I've got, and think again in a while and perhaps trial the CD5x with a Flatcap2x.

Thanks for the advice,

Steve

T

the record spot

I'll lob in a used Eastern Electric Minimax (normally £975) or a used Unison Research Unico for CD players. Just to make a change y'know...

A

Anonymous

stephenwoodhouse:
Just an update for the record.

With the Spendor A5s and the Naim Nait XS, I home demo'd the Naim CD5x and the Cyrus CD8SE as well as my original Arcam Alpha 7 CD. The Cyrus irritated me with its slow loading (and repeated failure to load one or two of my CDs). After trying hard over a day, I could barely hear a difference between the Naim and the Arcam, with the Arcam having a very slightly clearer sound, so I opted to save the cash and stick with the one I already owned. Thanks to the dealer in Worcester (the only one who stocks these brands) who let me dither in this way.

I'll enjoy what I've got, and think again in a while and perhaps trial the CD5x with a Flatcap2x.

Thanks for the advice,

Steve

Glad you got a great system there. Whose the dealer? you should name them (if you haven't already) in the 'there's a shop' section they sound really decent.

A

Anonymous

In your situation I would have suggested that you should live with the Arcam on the new amp and speakers for a while. As you learn more about the sound, and you will over time, you can re-audition the CDPs to see whether the improvement justifies the price.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with Naim's very expensive mid and elevated priced players but try a DacMagic with any old transport/dvd/BR player you have at hand and then buy the best speakers you can find within your budget. It'll be the equal/nearly as, most players I've heard for the price of a couple of nice meals with your partner at a good restaurant with a distinguished bottle of red or white, perhaps two, depending where you dine. The product is surprisingly good (or un-surprisingly, if you familiar with CA's current range), depending on how much emphasis you lay on digital replay. The difference between it (DacMagic) and the current crop of the flavor of the month options of cdp's (cyrus just to name one) is, relatively speaking and compared to the difference good speakers or amplifiers can make, small. In a high resolution system it may be bettered by some high-end players, including the company's own 840C, but in most circumstances it will perform way above it's almost indecent low price tag.

John Duncan

And add lossless files via airport express, and you have a CD5X anyway.....
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts