cd stoplight? i love the internet!!

this has got to be one of the funnier things i've found on the tiddlyweb while browsing

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/12484/AudioPrism-CD_Stoplight-CD_Care

a pen to make my cd's sound better?

awesome.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
this has got to be one of the funnier things i've found on the tiddlyweb while browsing

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/12484/AudioPrism-CD_Stoplight-CD_Care

a pen to make my cd's sound better?

awesome.

You are a bit behind the curve on this one, the pen has been around decades.

It works by coating the edge of the CD with a pigment that absorbs the frequencies produced by the laser. This reduces light scatter in the CD mech and reduces spurious light falling on the reading lense, which may reduce contrast and lead to more reading errors.

Excessive read errors cause problems that is beyond the capability of the error correction, resulting in a sound that can become a little harsh or grainy.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
yeah, its been around a while, and its the first i've heard of it.

i've found a green pen, i'm having a play. is hi-fi nirvana about to greet me?

lol.

You have to check the absoption spectra of the pigment used by the particular pen you are going to use. They need to absorb light in the 800nm region, specifically 780 to 840nm, this is just visible at the red end of the spectrum.

This of course may meen that the pen is not actually green, what you see is indicative of the reflective qualities of the pigment, which might be quite different from the absorptive characteristics.

This is complicated stuff, and means that the well researched Audioprism pen is in fact, excellent value for money.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
bigfish786 said:
now, that's the kind of reply i like to my posts.

lol.

Of course this will not work if you play back using a BluRay player. :rofl:

Of course it will, you just need a pen that deposits a pigment that absorbs frequencies of 405nm.

Jeeez, do I have to explain everything........ :?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Is it only me.. Some people just seem to support every theory about HIFI & seems to be the same people over & over. May be intervention of Neural pathways in the brain affects thought pattern with HIFI..? :pray:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Is it only me.. Some people just seem to support every theory about HIFI & seems to be the same people over & over. May be intervention of Neural pathways in the brain affects thought pattern with HIFI..? :pray:

Absolutely not true.

The theory that blueray players are good at playing CDs, that AV recievers can play music properly and that inexpensive speakers with more than 3 drive units can possibly be any good are all theories that I disagree with profoundly. Just to prove that I do not 'support every theory'.

You point about issues with neural pathways is wall taken, though I do feel that your pathways to the lower frontal lobes might be impared.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/412229

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Native_bon said:

Absolutely not true.

The theory that blueray players are good at playing CDs, that AV recievers can play music properly and that inexpensive speakers with more than 3 drive units can possibly be any good are all theories that I disagree with profoundly. Just to prove that I do not 'support every theory'.

You point about issues with neural pathways is wall taken, though I do feel that your pathways to the lower frontal lobes might be impared.

JUST A THOUGHT NOT A CONCLUSION HENCE THE QUESTION MARK

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Native_bon said:

Absolutely not true.

:rofl:

For those without Mescape access:

Location of Sense of Humor Discovered
"... A small part of the frontal lobes appears critical to our ability to recognize a joke," said Dean K. Shibata, MD, assistant professor of radiology at the University of Rochester School of Medicine in New York, and principal investigator of a study using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to map activity in the brain while it is registering humor. "Although the purpose of humor and laughter is still largely unknown despite 2,000 years of speculation, having a sense of humor is a key part of our personalities and it can play a powerful role in balancing negative emotions, such as fear..."

And you know that since 2000? And you tell us only now?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Native_bon said:

Absolutely not true.

Crumbs Davedotco thats some pretty extreme views there espeiaclly the bit about AV recievers and bluray players.

is that from experience or assumption?

matthewpiano

Well there may be exceptions (as there always can be), but I'd agree with what davedotco says in general. I've tried using a Blu-Ray player and a DVD player to play CDs and they are miles off a good budget CD player. I've owned a Yamaha RX-V667 AV receiver - a well reviewed product at the time - and it was pretty hopeless with music no matter what setting it was on. I also extensively tried some quite high-end AV receivers in stereo when I was working at a Sony Centre and they were also no better than average with music. I've also heard plenty of budget floorstanders with lots of drive units and, again, hopeless.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Well there may be exceptions (as there always can be), but I'd agree with what davedotco says in general. I've tried using a Blu-Ray player and a DVD player to play CDs and they are miles off a good budget CD player. I've owned a Yamaha RX-V667 AV receiver - a well reviewed product at the time - and it was pretty hopeless with music no matter what setting it was on. I also extensively tried some quite high-end AV receivers in stereo when I was working at a Sony Centre and they were also no better than average with music. I've also heard plenty of budget floorstanders with lots of drive units and, again, hopeless.
:rofl: :rofl: You agree with every thing davedotco says.. Good for you dude.

matthewpiano

Native_bon said:
matthewpiano said:

Laugh all you like. I don't agree with everything he says but quite a lot of it, because it matches my experiences.

If other's experience tells them that any old disc spinner will do or that any old AV receiver will perform as well or better than a properly designed 2-channel amp then that is their perogative. My experience tells me that neither is satisfactory though, as I say, I am quite happy to believe that there are exceptions out there.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Native_bon said:
matthewpiano said:

I'm guessing you're being so sensitive about this because you're using a bluray player, an AV receiver and a speaker with many drivers. :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jeez, guys, before you embarass yourselves even further, do read the link i posted....... :read:

At least DocG is keeping up........ :clap:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
That's the Ultra Clarifier Hex Beam, Captain. The di-lithium crystals pure make your CD's sound better.

http://www.bedini.com/clarifier.htm

Fantastic product, combined with cryogenic treatment this gives the best CD sound ever.

You will however need something with rather higher resolution than a blue ray player, a/v reciever and multi driver speaker system to really hear the difference.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Jota180 said:
That's the Ultra Clarifier Hex Beam, Captain. The di-lithium crystals pure make your CD's sound better.

Fantastic product, combined with cryogenic treatment this gives the best CD sound ever.

You will however need something with rather higher resolution than a blue ray player, a/v reciever and multi driver speaker system to really hear the difference.

Depends on the cables you choose... :silenced:

Didn't really want to admit it but I did try one of these pens years ago (borrowed from a mate as I wasn't mug enough to buy one myself + did not think it worth the cash at the time, too busy buying CD's).

Cannot divulge my findings as they are purely personnal and appear to be system dependent.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
davedotco said:
Jota180 said:

Depends on the cables you choose... :silenced:

Naturally you will need cryogenically treated cables to get the best from the above treatments.

This is a well documented effect, see here......

http://www.vhaudio.com/cryo.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts