CD reading errors

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
When I think of all the CDs I've played on different CD, DVD and Blu-Ray players I've had over the years, I've only ever had two players give me CD reading errors.

One was an Audiolab 8200 CD that would not pick up the first track of one particular CD. No big problem as it just went to track 2 and started playing.

But my Cyrus CD T seems to have trouble more often. Alas it fails to read quite a few CDs and just spits them out i.e it won't even jump tracks.

Any idea what causes this?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
When I think of all the CDs I've played on different CD, DVD and Blu-Ray players I've had over the years, I've only ever had two players give me CD reading errors.

One was an Audiolab 8200 CD that would not pick up the first track of one particular CD. No big problem as it just went to track 2 and started playing.

But my Cyrus CD T seems to have trouble more often. Alas it fails to read quite a few CDs and just spits them out i.e it won't even jump tracks.

It's made by Cyrus?

Chris

Covenanter said:
adamrobertshaw said:

It's made by Cyrus?

Chris

And they make one of the most accurate CD mechanisms ............. in the world!

Seriously is it new? Send it back. If not then it needs a service.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't recall how old it is.

Sometime it takes two or three loading attempts to read the CD. I have one CD it just won't read at all. It's bizarre as it should be all or none. It ain't a show stopper but it makes me wonder.

I've had a Stream X that one day failed to pair with the remote. That got fixed on an upgrade.

I bought two PSX-R to power two X Powers and one of them was dead from the box. Exchanged of course.

My 8XPdQX sometimes auto-fails when the PSU overheats. This is because it needs loads of ventilation around it's tiny box and it sits on a desk top now.

One of the coax inputs has dropped out of my DAC XP Signature (not literally)

I think the issues I'm having with the Chord QuteHD is feedback from the 8XPdQX

Maybe I'm just chuffing unlucky. Maybe it's not a coincidence regarding what is misbehaving.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.

This might sound a little silly and I might get some flack for it but how hot is the unit getting bofore it start to reject CDs? Or is it from turn on?

Also how level is the unit? My CA CDP has trouble with CD-R discs. It will play them but it depends how long it's been on.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Cyrus did have problems a few years ago with the Cyrus 6 i believe not loading cds, even the WHF review commented on it, still got 5 stars though. Yes take it back to the dealer and get it sorted out.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
For a while (before I decided that if I was to truly start again, I'd go computer > active speakers and kiss goodbye to all the faff) I did consider saving-up my hard-earned and buying into new Cyrus gear, including a CD player. Then I did some 'research' on the Internet and learned all about the reading/loading/skipping/jamming issues people were having with the new slot-loading drives. Now the problem with the Internet (and in fact any other public outlet for built-up angst) is that more people are liable to lay finger-to-key to complain than to congatulate, so the true scale of issues such as this gets disproportionately magnified. Yet I still did feel that any company which couldnt build a four-figure CD player that could play CDs as reliably as my computer's £15 USB DVD ROM drive didn't deserve any of my money.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
For me the small form factor stuffed with modern technology is a problem for Cyrus. Just how close are the components?

Everything runs extremely well most of the time. I wouldn't swap my DAC XP Signature for anything similar.

Slowly I reckon the Cyrus Lyric shaped boxes will start to morph into separates with source/DAC/pre-amp in one box, (multi) external power in another box, and power amp in another box.

At the risk of getting into a ''what brand is best'' argument, I've never had any trouble in the past with Technics and Marantz. But they were basic compared to what I own today. It has been my choice to upgrade to Cyrus. My problem if better sounds = increased errors / problems.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
For me the small form factor stuffed with modern technology is a problem for Cyrus. Just how close are the components?

Everything runs extremely well most of the time. I wouldn't swap my DAC XP Signature for anything similar.

Slowly I reckon the Cyrus Lyric shaped boxes will start to morph into separates with source/DAC/pre-amp in one box, (multi) external power in another box, and power amp in another box.

At the risk of getting into a ''what brand is best'' argument, I've never had any trouble in the past with Technics and Marantz. But they were basic compared to what I own today. It has been my choice to upgrade to Cyrus. My problem if better sounds = increased errors / problems.

I've not heard the CDt but I have heard the CD8 and thought it very good if not as good as the one I bought (see sig). I've read a bit about Cyrus reliability issues over the years so have always had some concerns about them as a make hence my early cryptic comment.

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes its odd that cds will play in computer and car cdp with no problem but wont play in more dedicated players, the only problem Ive had with some disks is with Marantz 63SE and Marantz Pearl Lite so I guess they are more fussy. Not tried Cyrus yet was put off by reliability problems on the 6 and their attitude.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
My problem if better sounds = increased errors / problems.

Cyrus CD players, the HiFi equivalent of an Alfa Romeo: a car which can be argued offers one of the world's best driving experiences, on that one day a week when it'll maybe start. *biggrin*

abacus

CD players read the disc direct and use error correction to get round any lost information, however if it is too bad then they will not play.

Computers, portables and Car Players have a buffer to store information so that if any data cannot be read it can try again to see if it can read it, (The size of the buffer determines how many tries it will make before it has to use error correction) however even these have limits.

There are also CD recovery programs available for really damaged discs, so even if it won’t play correctly the data may still be recoverable so that you can burn it to a new CDR.

Hope this helps

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts