Cd player

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I replaced most of my hi fi just under 2 years ago, I went for a networked sysyem shown below, but kepy my Arcam CD player.

I still use the CD quite a lot and I am looking to replace the Arcam as now have some spare cash to enable an upgrade.

I have a budget of 1k to 2k, but would prefer to keep that at the lower end of budget.

Speakers and Amp are new so wont be changing.

I play all types of music, from Nirvana to Frank Sinatra, everything except Classical really.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

T

the record spot

Unless you particularly want to, there's probably no necessity to go up to £1k for a CD player.

Do you want to play hi-res discs? SACD DVD-A etc? Then a good universal player might be the way to go here.

T

the record spot

Unless you particularly want to, there's probably no necessity to go up to £1k for a CD player.

Do you want to play hi-res discs? SACD DVD-A etc? Then a good universal player might be the way to go here.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It will be purely for CD playback.

I was thinking that if I dont allocate a decent budget to it, then I might as well keep the Arcam till it falls to bits. :)

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Womaz :wave:

Just a thought but judging by your signature you like Musical Fidelity equipment, have you not looked at the M1CDT CD Transport as a replacement for your Arcam, would be a nice match visually and you could connect it to the M1 CLIC via a optical or co-axial lead.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
macdiddy said:
Hi Womaz :wave:

Just a thought but judging by your signature you like Musical Fidelity equipment, have you not looked at the M1CDT CD Transport as a replacement for your Arcam, would be a nice match visually and you could connect it to the M1 CLIC via a optical or co-axial lead.

Good idea I would also consider something like the Tascam CD 200 which is about £307.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I had thought about the M1 cd player from MF.

This might be a crazy reason for preferring something else, but then all of my system will be MF. When I get a bout of upgradeitus, then I will want to replace the whole system again to keep the aesthetics :)

I kid you not. I had an Arcam based system 2 years ago and when thinking about replacing the CD player, I endd up with the whole new system below at a cost of about 6.5k. I also actually ended up keeping the bloody Cd player.

The MF amp and PMC speakers I love and i am not really sure a budget CD player is what I shoul be looking for. I would assume that I would play my new CD player through my CLIC as I do with my Arcam

I am torn between buying a cheaper CD player and using my NAS and Clic more, but it can sometimes be a pain to find that new CD amongst the thousands I have on the NAS drive. And spending a good amount on a CD player.

Also the Arcan was a cracking CD player in its day, and scared that I buy a budget player, take a liste and never use it again!

Thanks for the replies so far

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well if just using the CDP as transport then a £600 cd transport is hardly budget? Some of the more expensive players I think suffer from lack of economies of scale and diminishing returns.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Right smack in the middle of your budget is the Sonneteer Byron (I would say that of course - see my sig :) ) - example review here - http://www.hifiwigwam.com/sonneteer-byron-cd-player/

Doesn't get much coverage here but don't judge it because of that - lovely CDP that just sounds so natural. And if you're happy to go down the second-hand route, on the rare occassion they do come up they can be had for £500 sometimes less.

I would strongly encourage a demo if you stick with your plan of going for a £1-2k CDP :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
iceman16 said:

I agree , somebody might get very lucky with this Cd player !

It is one of the best Cd players available regardless of price and should last a lifetime , if you hear it you will want it ;) :)

Yes but its cash on collection so you need to go to Southport.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes Southport is a bit far. Also prefer silver to match my system.

nothing wrong with the Arcam but having trouble with the tray.

I am even thinking about just taking the CD player out of the system and solely using the CLIC as that was my intention at purchase. Only problem is some CDs are not recognised on DB Poweramp when I first buy them. The CD player is therefre handy

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Womaz said:

I am even thinking about just taking the CD player out of the system and solely using the CLIC as that was my intention at purchase. Only problem is some CDs are not recognised on DB Poweramp when I first buy them. The CD player is therefre handy

You can have the tray fixed for about £70 depending what the problem is.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
Only problem is some CDs are not recognised on DB Poweramp when I first buy them. The CD player is therefre handy

You can always type in the details yourself, assuming that you have not got many and have the time. For example I find that most freebie CDs from Mojo and Uncut magazine are not recognised by dBPoweramp so I type in the track information myself. Only takes 5 minutes for one CD.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You have a decent system that seems well-balanced! I'd either get the Arcam fixed as suggested or buy a 2nd hand player such as a Rotel etc. I recently retired my CDP & bought a universal CD/DVD/SACD/BD player 'cos my TV's connected to my stereo cost me under £500. I'd not spend anything like £1-2k on what would be effectively obsolete tech in your system.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Womaz said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but DB Poweramp should recognise all but really obscure CDs!

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If you get a new cd on first day of purchase it's quite often not found. Also I buy some dance CDs and a lot of them are not on

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Since you have a DAC in the M1 CLIC, buying a brand new CDP doesn't look very economical. So if I were in your position, I'd be looking at getting the Arcam repaired or buying a second-hand CDP (as others have suggested).

And I'd bank the remaining budget until the next upgrade looms.

:cheers:

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts