CD player to pair with Audiolab 8000a and Epos ES22

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
Hi all,

A generous friend has recently passed on his Audiolab 8000a amp and Epos Es22 floorstanders into my care.

My current set up in my bedroom is an Arcam alpha 7r and alpha 8se CD player. Having moved the gear into a larger room to accomodate the (excellent sounding) Epos speakers, I was wondering if i could do better than the Arcam cd player to go with my new Audiolab amp.

I'm thinking mid-range stuff from yesteryear secondhand, unless anyone can convince me to buy new :)

Or should I sell the lot and join the 21st century with some sort of network player?

Your thoughts...
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
popjac11 said:
Hi all,

A generous friend has recently passed on his Audiolab 8000a amp and Epos Es22 floorstanders into my care.

My current set up in my bedroom is an Arcam alpha 7r and alpha 8se CD player. Having moved the gear into a larger room to accomodate the (excellent sounding) Epos speakers, I was wondering if i could do better than the Arcam cd player to go with my new Audiolab amp.

I'm thinking mid-range stuff from yesteryear secondhand, unless anyone can convince me to buy new :)

Or should I sell the lot and join the 21st century with some sort of network player?

Your thoughts...
Hi popjac11

Has the 8000A offered an improvement over the 7R? If so, how has the system benefitted?

What do you generally listen to?

Interconnect?

Are you also likely to use the tone controls on the amp?

Speaker cables?

Would you also consider a DAC?

Your overall budget?

What improvements are you looking for a new cd player to offer over the 8SE?

With a change from of source from the 8SE is there a particular kind of presentation you are looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
Hi Rick, thanks for your reply.

There's obviously a lot I havent considered yet! I'm a relative noob with hifi.

Its shameful but I have yet to try out the Audiolab. The wiring terminals are currently too small for the connections on my speaker cable. I have been assured that it will offer an improvment though.

I mainly listen to rock and pop, I have no interest in classical, jazz etc but occassionally like a bit of hip-hop

The interconnect is a cheapo Maplin job by the looks of it, it was inherited also and I'm aware of the need to replace it. Recommendations?

Not likely to use the tone controls, no.

Would definitely consider the DAC. Have looked at the rDac, Beresford and CA models in the past.

Haven't decided the budget yet, depends on how much I can get from the sale of the other components.

I guess I'm after a bit more separation with the instruments. I'm not that distinguised a listener yet, I like my current sound but was just wondering if there was a selection of players that better compliments the Audiolab Epos combo.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Jake
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,320
493
20,070
popjac11 said:
Bump.

Any suggestions guys?
Have you considered the Audiolab 8200. Heard it with the Leema, albeit briefly, and it sounded convincing.

Alternatively, look at the older Arcam DIVA range, CD192. The reason being, I've heard the 8000A and it CAN err on the clinical side. The 192 adds a bit of realism to the whole affair.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
popjac11 said:
Hi Rick, thanks for your reply.

There's obviously a lot I havent considered yet! I'm a relative noob with hifi.

Its shameful but I have yet to try out the Audiolab. The wiring terminals are currently too small for the connections on my speaker cable. I have been assured that it will offer an improvment though.

I mainly listen to rock and pop, I have no interest in classical, jazz etc but occassionally like a bit of hip-hop

The interconnect is a cheapo Maplin job by the looks of it, it was inherited also and I'm aware of the need to replace it. Recommendations?

Not likely to use the tone controls, no.

Would definitely consider the DAC. Have looked at the rDac, Beresford and CA models in the past.

Haven't decided the budget yet, depends on how much I can get from the sale of the other components.

I guess I'm after a bit more separation with the instruments. I'm not that distinguised a listener yet, I like my current sound but was just wondering if there was a selection of players that better compliments the Audiolab Epos combo.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Jake
Hi Jake

Firstly i am sorry for my late reply :(

Thanks for your reply and your welcome.

If budget allows then also have a look at the Audiolab 8200CD or the Rega DAC and Chord Electronics Chordette Peach DAC to work in conjunction with your cd player. All three are better then your 8SE however have a listen to all of them to see which you prefer the sound of. All of these products will also give you the option of using other digital media.

Btw, carry on using your existing interconnect. Fwiw, i use standard interconnects (ones with red/white ends which are supplied with DVD/Blu ray players).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

edplaysdrums42

New member
May 2, 2009
29
0
0
I auditioned the Audolab 8200CD and thought it was superb so i ordered one. Its also a DAC so you can also connect your macbook to it. I'd recommend getting all the gear set up and try and arrange some home demo's or at the very least listen to some products in store. ;)

Cheers Ed
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I'll second the 8200CD recommendation, since I've got it paired with the 8200A (don't know how different that is from the 8000A?) and Epos Epic 2 speakers. Sounds marvellous!
 

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
Great suggestions guys, I do love the look of the 8200cd, will have to get hold of one for audition.

I guess the issue is whether the budget can stretch that far. When the rest of the setup has been arranged so cheaply, it's hard to justify £700 on a new component!

I could be swayed once I've heard it!

Plastic Penguin, I like the sound of the Arcam Diva range you mentioned. The 192 appears to be quite a rare model (on eBay anyway), would other models lower down the range be appropriate?

Thanks a lot chaps
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,320
493
20,070
popjac11 said:
Great suggestions guys, I do love the look of the 8200cd, will have to get hold of one for audition.

I guess the issue is whether the budget can stretch that far. When the rest of the setup has been arranged so cheaply, it's hard to justify £700 on a new component!

I could be swayed once I've heard it!

Plastic Penguin, I like the sound of the Arcam Diva range you mentioned. The 192 appears to be quite a rare model (on eBay anyway), would other models lower down the range be appropriate?

Thanks a lot chaps
Yup, the new FMJ CD17 is a good option, although how it compares to the 192 I've not the foggiest - heard them both at different dealers and about a year apart.

If you really like the Arcam sound it's worth looking Creek Evo CDP. Not heard the CDP but the Evo 2 amp is tonally very similar to Arcams.
 

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
Thanks PP. Also around the £300-400 mark on eBay is the Cyrus 8CDx, any thoughts?

Buying second hand will be taking a punt as there can be no audition, however I have noticed my local hifi store that has just opened up stock both the Rega DAC and Arcam rDAC.

If I could get those on audition, do you think they would make a more cost effective upgrade to the Alpha 8se than a whole new player like the 8200cd, cyrus 8cdx or Arcam cd192?

Really appreciate this guys
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,320
493
20,070
popjac11 said:
Thanks PP. Also around the £300-400 mark on eBay is the Cyrus 8CDx, any thoughts?

Buying second hand will be taking a punt as there can be no audition, however I have noticed my local hifi store that has just opened up stock both the Rega DAC and Arcam rDAC.

If I could get those on audition, do you think they would make a more cost effective upgrade to the Alpha 8se than a whole new player like the 8200cd, cyrus 8cdx or Arcam cd192?

Really appreciate this guys
I would say no to the Cyrus + Audiolab.

The reason why I first mentioned the 8200 is because of the DAC which gives you the best of both worlds (CDs and streaming).

If I had the Audiolab 8000A my short-list would read: Creek Evo 2 CDP, Audiolab 8200 and Arcam CD17.
 

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
plastic penguin said:
popjac11 said:
Thanks PP. Also around the £300-400 mark on eBay is the Cyrus 8CDx, any thoughts?

Buying second hand will be taking a punt as there can be no audition, however I have noticed my local hifi store that has just opened up stock both the Rega DAC and Arcam rDAC.

If I could get those on audition, do you think they would make a more cost effective upgrade to the Alpha 8se than a whole new player like the 8200cd, cyrus 8cdx or Arcam cd192?

Really appreciate this guys
I would say no to the Cyrus + Audiolab.

The reason why I first mentioned the 8200 is because of the DAC which gives you the best of both worlds (CDs and streaming).

If I had the Audiolab 8000A my short-list would read: Creek Evo 2 CDP, Audiolab 8200 and Arcam CD17.
The Arcam CD17 is considerably cheaper (secondhand anyway) than the other two, do you really rate it that highly?!

Are you ruling out the DAC idea too?
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,320
493
20,070
popjac11 said:
plastic penguin said:
popjac11 said:
Thanks PP. Also around the £300-400 mark on eBay is the Cyrus 8CDx, any thoughts?

Buying second hand will be taking a punt as there can be no audition, however I have noticed my local hifi store that has just opened up stock both the Rega DAC and Arcam rDAC.

If I could get those on audition, do you think they would make a more cost effective upgrade to the Alpha 8se than a whole new player like the 8200cd, cyrus 8cdx or Arcam cd192?

Really appreciate this guys
I would say no to the Cyrus + Audiolab.

The reason why I first mentioned the 8200 is because of the DAC which gives you the best of both worlds (CDs and streaming).

If I had the Audiolab 8000A my short-list would read: Creek Evo 2 CDP, Audiolab 8200 and Arcam CD17.
The Arcam CD17 is considerably cheaper (secondhand anyway) than the other two, do you really rate it that highly?!

Are you ruling out the DAC idea too?
Hi-fi is funny old hobby. The Arcam, as an individual component can be bettered by the others I've mentioned, however, for me, synergy is king (or Queen). I've heard the older Audiolab amp and it's good, but it can stray into the slightly clinical side of reproduction. Get the synergy right and the rewards are enormous - get it wrong, regardless of components, and you'll end up with an unsatisfactory system.

No idea about DACs... its been bugging me for ages.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I might be able to give some more input here. When I first demo'd the Audiolab 8200CD it was side-by-side with the Arcam CD17 and the Marantz 6003. Three very different price points but that was precisely because I didn't know whether it would make that much difference and I was prepared to pay less if I could get away with it. From what I recall the Arcam was a step up from the Marantz in terms of detail and enjoyable listen but IMO the Audiolab was easily better than both, incredibly detailed but not in a clinical way, it seemed to have better soundstage and more of a 'sparkle' to it.
 

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
[/quote]

Hi-fi is funny old hobby. The Arcam, as an individual component can be bettered by the others I've mentioned, however, for me, synergy is king (or Queen). I've heard the older Audiolab amp and it's good, but it can stray into the slightly clinical side of reproduction. Get the synergy right and the rewards are enormous - get it wrong, regardless of components, and you'll end up with an unsatisfactory system.

No idea about DACs... its been bugging me for ages.


[/quote]

I know I like the Arcam sound, so I'm very tempted to take the plunge here.

My old Alpha 7r is doing ok on ebay, I may stick the Alpha 8se on there too if the amp ends up doing well.

I guess if I dont like the CD17 I will be able to sell it for around what I paid for it.

Any thoughts on the CD 73 like yours? This one here looks good...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-CD73-CD-Player-/170637248721?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item27bac5c8d1
 

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
PhilPub said:
I might be able to give some more input here. When I first demo'd the Audiolab 8200CD it was side-by-side with the Arcam CD17 and the Marantz 6003. Three very different price points but that was precisely because I didn't know whether it would make that much difference and I was prepared to pay less if I could get away with it. From what I recall the Arcam was a step up from the Marantz in terms of detail and enjoyable listen but IMO the Audiolab was easily better than both, incredibly detailed but not in a clinical way, it seemed to have better soundstage and more of a 'sparkle' to it.
Thanks PhilPub, in an ideal world I'd buy the audiolab tomorrow.

Budget constraints dictate otherwise for the time being.

Glad you compared the Arcam to the Marantz though, the 6003 was an early contender.

I think I'll go secondhand this time, and aim for the Audiolab in the future. Can't be taking too many steps up the hifi ladder too soon! You've got to earn that privelege!
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,320
493
20,070
Hi-fi is funny old hobby. The Arcam, as an individual component can be bettered by the others I've mentioned, however, for me, synergy is king (or Queen). I've heard the older Audiolab amp and it's good, but it can stray into the slightly clinical side of reproduction. Get the synergy right and the rewards are enormous - get it wrong, regardless of components, and you'll end up with an unsatisfactory system.

No idea about DACs... its been bugging me for ages.


[/quote]

I know I like the Arcam sound, so I'm very tempted to take the plunge here.

My old Alpha 7r is doing ok on ebay, I may stick the Alpha 8se on there too if the amp ends up doing well.

I guess if I dont like the CD17 I will be able to sell it for around what I paid for it.

Any thoughts on the CD 73 like yours? This one here looks good...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-CD73-CD-Player-/170637248721?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item27bac5c8d1

[/quote]

The 73T overall is excellent VFM. It has crisp, detailed treble; midrange is smooth and precise; the tonal qualities err on the warmish side. That's no bad thing in my book, especially with budget/midrange products. The only slight note of caution is the bass can be endomorph if partnered incorrectly. That said, shouldn't be a problem with the Audiolab.

This is why I recommended the CD17: It has all the attributes of the 73 but Arcam, to my ears, have tweaked the bass, and it's a little tighter and faster in this area.

Hope this helps, pp.
 

popjac11

New member
Oct 18, 2009
8
0
0
You've been a massive help, thanks PP.

The search for an Arcam has begun in earnest, first choice will be the 192 followed by the fmj cd 17.

I'll let you know how I get on...

It's a slippery slope now though. I've already started to think about new speakers...

Oh dear
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,320
493
20,070
popjac11 said:
You've been a massive help, thanks PP.

The search for an Arcam has begun in earnest, first choice will be the 192 followed by the fmj cd 17.

I'll let you know how I get on...

It's a slippery slope now though. I've already started to think about new speakers...

Oh dear
No problem...

Welcome to the strange, surreal world of hi-fi


Just a quick note about the 192. It's pretty much a wolf in sheeps clothing. Although it looks identical to the 73 and other DIVA range players, once fired up you say bye-bye to the warmish, snoggable nature of the 73 and Alpha range... and 'Ding Dong!' to the biting presentation of the 192. It has the normal Arcam traits with added crunch to the soundstage. If you like the warmer sound don't choose the 192. Maybe a good halfway house is the CD17.

As they used to say on 'THROUGH THE KEYHOLE'. "It's over to you..."
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
i support the audiolab 8200 cd very very strongly-i have the cdq-same thing plus pre-amp

its much more of a giant leap than a mere step. yes its more dosh but wow to the sound/soudstage/clarity/control.

and wow again
 

edplaysdrums42

New member
May 2, 2009
29
0
0
Pedej0e said:
i support the audiolab 8200 cd very very strongly-i have the cdq-same thing plus pre-amp

its much more of a giant leap than a mere step. yes its more dosh but wow to the sound/soudstage/clarity/control.

and wow again
Hi Pedj0e

Have you compared the CD & the CDQ and was there much difference in sound quality?

Cheers Ed
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts