CD Player Quandary

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
My favorite piece of kit is my NAD C545 CD player. I know how subjective HiFi is and not everyone will like the sound, but I just love the attacking, detailed presentation of this thing. The problem is, my particular unit is rubbish. Had it serviced once and had to wait a month to get it back and it's still broken. Usable, since the problem is intermittent, but ultimately, it must be replaced.

Since I love it so much, I'm hesistant to switch brands, but on the other hand, I don't want a repeat performance.

So, here are CDPs I've considered. What are your thoughts?

Roksan Caspian CDP (there's a good deal on a used one)

Rega Apollo

Music Hall CD 25.2

Another NAD C545

Can't get a cyrus as they are too expensive over here in the USA.

A

Anonymous

The Apollo is an excellent player. You might also consider the Naim 5i (well, I had to mention that) and some of the more expensive Marantz units. There's also a unit I've not heard, but that gets very favourable reviews, the Harman Kardon HD 990 - twin DACs plus an input so you don't have to buy an external DAC if you go down the wifi road.

A

Anonymous

The Apollo is very good indeed but the Caspian is the next level up. OK, the Apollo is surely chewing at the heels of the Roksan but it's not quite there nonetheless. The Caspian will go deeper and, dare I say it because it's so subjective and based on personal experience, will rock more.

Messiah

It seems to me that you already have a player you love so just get another one. Job done
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess which MK that one is. The best thing to do is ask the seller for it's age. My own view is not to buy used CDPs that are too old as there's too many mechanical components to make it a risky purchase.

The Caspian will sound crisp, deep, punchy, and gutsy. I don't think you'd be disappointed but don't forget, changes in CDP tend to be subtle compared to those of speakers and amps.

T

the record spot

Of that haul, the Roksan and Rega would be on my list. If you're going up as far as the Roksan Caspian, I'd be inclined to seek out an Eastern Electric Minimax if you can find one.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
caspian every time, i've got one on home dem at the moment and it is superb. but, i doubt the one in your link is the latest version due to its price. the caspian is a very upfront, dynamic sounding player without being bright or edgy.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Craig M.: but, i doubt the one in your link is the latest version due to its price.

I've asked the seller, just waiting for a reply. It might not be all that old as this item has been listed for sale for quite awhile and there is not much interest in roksan over here. Just not a well known brand in the states.

A

Anonymous

Even if it's not the latest one, it's still an excellent player. It's just the gamble of age and reliability.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Well im biased as i own the Rega Apollo, but i will tell you its a wonderful CDP. Balanced, smooth, natural, dynamic, amazing with midrange - vocals sound like they are there singing in front of you ! Definately one to consider.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts