Question CD player > Amp > headphones

Cptpinkeye

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am looking to create a bit of a chill space for the other half.

She has an extensive CD collection, so I was hoping to go for a CD player amp and headphone setup. I want to work on a bit of a budget as I’m not sure how much it will get used.

So I was thinking of something like HD599 with a schiit magni, but I have no idea what CD player to get in that sort of price bracket or even if there is one.

Any suggestions or tips regarding cd players would be greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 108165

I had a feeling this would happen, should’ve went with my gut feeling and not signed up for some advice.
You ask a question and state within price range but you haven't stated one... what did you expect?

HD599 should work fine out of a decent CDP headphone socket as they aren't exactly hard to drive, thus dispensing with the need for a headphone amp.

Reactions: doifeellucky

Cptpinkeye

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
I shall refrain from asking for help again, was hoping to avoid elitist chaps but clearly walked straight in to one.

The reply was clearly meant to spark a reaction, because it made less sense than me leaving the price range out. I’m assuming this sort of attitude is probably commonplace amongst a forum like this.

Thanks for the advice that was given however.

D

Deleted member 108165

I shall refrain from asking for help again, was hoping to avoid elitist chaps but clearly walked straight in to one.

The reply was clearly meant to spark a reaction, because it made less sense than me leaving the price range out. I’m assuming this sort of attitude is probably commonplace amongst a forum like this.

Thanks for the advice that was given however.
Don't give up at the first hurdle as I think you may have taken Al's response the wrong way, he's a decent chap really. We're not elitists here just hobbyists who share information for free.

Personally, I can only comment on Marantz gear as that's all I've ever owned. Their CD6000 range can be had quite cheaply secondhand and has a front headphone socket with volume control. One here, if you're in the UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-CD6004-CD-Player/324403215380?

The only problem with CD players is that they don't last forever due to the moving parts involved. The Marantz also has a handy front USB port.

Gray

Don't give up at the first hurdle as I think you may have taken Al's response the wrong way, he's a decent chap really. We're not elitists here just hobbyists who share information for free.
Well said Doug.

Message to the OP:
Read and believe what Doug has said.
There's no question that you took the first response in the wrong way.
Though I frequent this forum more often, I am also a member of two other hi-fi forums. All I can say is that if you think this place is elitist, you might be in for a bit of a shock elsewhere.

Take Doug's response as representative of this forum - the fact that he was patient and concerned enough to want to help you.
I'll be totally honest with you - based on your first response here, elsewhere, you'd have immediately been told where to go.

DCarmi

I am sure you are aware that the HD599s are open backed and will leak sound. Fine if someone else is not trying to watch TV at the same time, though. I see you can get the for £120 at the moment, which seems a good price. Normally I use headphones in the same room as a TV watcher, so I need a bit of noise cancelling rather than deafening myself trying to drown out whatever they are watching. I also have to use closed-back headphones, so as not to irritate them.

I have no idea what your budget is but personally, I'd save on the headphone amp and spend more on the CD player. If the system does get used then you could look at upgrading later.

As with DougK, I like Marantz. If the CD6007 is too much CD5005 is quite decent and you can pick it up for about £230. Both have headphone out and volume control. (I should add that both are quite chunky devices.)

Another option you might consider, is a mini system. There are a couple of options from Marantz and Denon, which are very decent sounding. Later, you could always add a pair of inexpensive speakers, to give a non-headphone listening option. You'll find them listed here (whathifi). I have the Denon, at the top of the list, as my "other" system and use it frequently, probably more than my "main" system, with both headphones and speakers. This would be my recommended option based on your comments in the original posting.

If he thought my reply was elitist he was clearly expecting something else.
Can anyone explain what is elitist about it?
Trying to save people money is normally happily accepted especially when working to a budget.
I note that the OP still hasn't stated one
My comment was to the point and did relate to the OPs question.

D

Deleted member 188533

I sure don't see anything that could be construed as elitist in this thread?

The 599 is a very good headphone. It's basically an upgraded 598 with a slight retune for better bass extension. Like the 598, which was my gateway to 'good' headphones almost 10 years ago ( I still use them for gaming occasionally ) they are very easy to drive and aren't really picky about a source. They don't really need an amp unless whatever you're plugging them into won't get them loud.

As far as a stand alone CD player one of these other guys probably can recommend something with more first hand knowledge than I can.

Gray

I sure don't see anything that could be construed as elitist in this thread?

The 599 is a very good headphone. It's basically an upgraded 598 with a slight retune for better bass extension. Like the 598, which was my gateway to 'good' headphones almost 10 years ago ( I still use them for gaming occasionally ) they are very easy to drive and aren't really picky about a source. They don't really need an amp unless whatever you're plugging them into won't get them loud.

As far as a stand alone CD player one of these other guys probably can recommend something with more first hand knowledge than I can.
The new 560S is due to be with me Wednesday (which will be 6 days after order from Sennheiser Direct - sure their site said 2-3 days, but I'm not complaining, these are rough times and I'm very patient).
Might get round to giving my own impressions, though I expect a WHF review to show up soon.

D

Deleted member 188533

Nice. I almost preordered one myself with how cheap it is. But I've got an HD600 and an HD650 and even though the 560S is closer to the 660S they're all similar. I've seen some real praise for the 560S as well as some criticism. I think the 600 and 650 have been discontinued ( you can still get a 650 as a Drop 6XX ) so hopefully this is just the first of a new line. Please do share your impressions.

Reactions: Gray
Nice. I almost preordered one myself with how cheap it is. But I've got an HD600 and an HD650 and even though the 560S is closer to the 660S they're all similar. I've seen some real praise for the 560S as well as some criticism. I think the 600 and 650 have been discontinued ( you can still get a 650 as a Drop 6XX ) so hopefully this is just the first of a new line. Please do share your impressions.
........... but not here
Wouldn't want to further antagonize the OP by hijacking his thread.
Whoops, looks like that's be done already. :)

D

Deleted member 188533

Not at all. As I read it the OP hasn't decided on a headphone yet. The 560S is similarly priced to the 599 and a viable alternative. But yes, the review should get its own thread.

Reactions: Gray

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hmmmmmm this is a tough one to comment on without mention of a budget.

Personally I only buy CDs if i can't get the music digitally in hi-res. I would certainly be ripping all music to digital format these days. as gives more options for playing/streming to different devices.

For a CD Ripper/Audio Conversion, I would recommend DBPowerAmp.
Using then a digital DAC/AMP would give you more options for music streaming to different devices in the house.
External Hard Drives aren't too expensive these days (though Brexit is more going to change that). If you can get a NAS to provide RAID resiliancy to your Audio library that would be better.

Based on the price of the Schitt Magni (i'm pressuming 3+) you are looking at a budget setup. You have a few options here:

- Schiit Magni 3+
- Topping A30
- Geshelli Erish

I'm sure others on this forum will provide some other options here. I don't think any of the THX Amps would fall under this price bracket (£70 - £150) but i'm happy to be corrected if i'm wrong.

As for the DAC, some people like the idea of putting their devices in a 'stack' whilst others are happy to mix and match. If so that would mean

- Schiit Modi 3
- Topping D30
- Geshelli JNOG? (Sure i read their was a successor to this somewhere)

It sounds like you have a decent set of Cans lined up, but if you ever have to scrimp in at the low end, I cannot recommend KOSS KPH30I enough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts