CD Player advice needed.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My set up (even though the speakers STILL haven't arrived yet) is:

B&W 685's on filled Nexus stands. Chord Carnival silver screen cable. Rotel RA-04 amp.

What CD player would sound best with this? Im currently looking at an NAD C545BEE as they are quite highly rated on here and elsewhere. So if not that, reason why not please. Otherwise suggestions in that price area would be very much appreciated.

Music being played is LITERALLY everything. From dubstep to movie scores, from pop to metal, from hip-hop to bangra and from classical to RnB.

Thanks,

Luke. 

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm obviously biased since I own the C545BEE. There really is nothing in that price range that is competitive with the NAD 545. The Arcam CD17 is quite good, but it costs more and in my opinion is too reserved and warm sounding for your B&W's. The C545 on the other hand serves up bags of detail and vibrant sound which is perfect for your 685's. Also the Arcam costs more.

Many people like the Marantz CD6002, but I don't really know what the excitement is about.

I also spent a week with the new NAD C565BEE which is excellent and costs about the same as the Arcam. But again, it was too warm and smooth a sound for my taste. The NAD 545 is so good, I can see myself keeping it even if I upgrade my amplifier to Roksan or Primare. If there's something better for similar money, I don't know about it...

If you do go for the NAD, make sure you spring for a quality interconnect or you will wonder what the fuss is about. I recommend the Chord Crimson which is cheap, but it provides top notch detail.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts