CD playback quality on DVD-player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

Recently, me and my beloved Sound system, moved in with my Girlfriend. Between me and my girlfriend all is wonderful. Between my gf and Nad... let’s just say the click isn't quite there yet.

Since I’m more of an audio kind of guy, I’m not too interested in movie quality. The budget Philips LCD we just bought is hooked up to a cheap JVC DVD machine, giving good enough picture for me and the girl. In our new (smallish) house though, the stack of amp + cd-player + dvd-player looks more like an apartment building than an actual sound system (plus the dvd doesn't look nice on top of my pretty equipment;)).

My system is build up of:

- A NAD C320BEE amp
- Oehlbach Ice blue interlink
- NAD C525BEE cd-player
- QED silver anniversary XT spearkercables
- Dali Concept 6 speakers
- Crapy JVC dvd-player

Since I am still in uni, this is about as good as it gets, and i love my system very much, so it stays. It should of course also never happen that my sound quality goes down (imagine that!). So, the actual question is: Would it be a suitable solution to swap my dvd- and cd-player for a NAD dvd player, so it looks as pretty as it did before the dvd-player? How would this sound compared to my cd-player? Will I lose sound quality? or better: What kind of dvd player do i need to get the same sound as my 400€ cd player?

I hope that you guys can help me, Nad and my girlfriend out!

Cheers, Theo

P.S. You’ll have to excuse my English, as I’m not a native speaker:). Greetings from Holland ;).
P.P.S. Does anyone know how the Oehlbach interlinks compare to cables like the Atlas Equator? Anything to gain there?

John Duncan

Tricky. A DVD player isn't going to sound as good as your CD player unless you buy a more expensive one, but NAD do make some very slim ones which may fit on top of your stack and look a bit more coherent.

There are also a couple of universal players which would be good at music, but they're a bit more expensive - some can be had end-of-line though.

SteveR750

Mine is a somewhat unfair comparison, but it might give you an idea:

Yesterday evening I hooked up my Toshiba XDE-500 to my hi fi system and played the AC DC Live at Donington DVD. At the same time I fired up the live CD in the Cyrus and did some A-B comparisons. The difference was enormous, though not as drastic as I might have thought. The DVD player was much warmer sounding, with what sounds like initially a fuller deeper bass. The Cyrus was much louder, more dynamic, and much more strident top end. Ultimately, the Cyrus has a much leaner sound; perhaps a less impressive "hi-fi", sound, though I realised that the bass was just as extended, but because the timing was better it was less intrusive, and the overall result far more musical. Now, this could of course be down to different recording quality between the CD and the DVD, and I didnt get round to playing the CD in the DVD player as a control....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
roten:
Try to get hold of an Arcam DVD player, either second hand or Ex-demo

Many on eBayÿ

I agree. I had an old Arcam FMJ DV27A and it was very good with cds - would at least match your Nad and be a better dvd player to boot. I got mine from ebay for about £280 - you could get cheaper still I reckon. Be careful though. The FMJ range is far superior than the Diva. Roten has the DV139 which is the last FMJ dvd player Arcam made - that's a fantastic spinner.

T

the record spot

I picked up a Samsung DVD-HD950 a couple of years back for the SACD compatibility. Just played a Deep Purple SACD on both hi-res and standard CD and it's not bad; not got the same insight as the Marantz CD player which is the main source, but not totally disgraced. Was £150, but I got mine for £80 in Richer Sounds. You might well find one on Ebay for less and it would be a good compromise.

See also Philips DVD-960SA, an older player, but has SACD capability and a good internal chip for audio playback as well as decent movie replay too.

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
The DV139 is absolutely outstanding!!!

I have had a DV78 and a DV135 earlier, and both were excellent as CD spinners. Only upgraded for multichannel SACD. If this is not a priority, a DV78, 79 or 27 should be yours for £100 - 150 on eBay

John Duncan

roten:

Many on eBayÿ

I thought you preferred Scandinavian...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

So, what you guys are basically saying is that a NAD dvd-player is not going to cut it in terms of sound quality? I'll go and see if i can find an attractive Arcam player somewhere. I might also just try to get a small dvd-player that i can stuff on a shelf somewhere.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Oehlback interlinks?

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:roten:

Many on eBay

emotion-5.gif

I guess I should, but the Arcam was just too good not to buy.

I am now looking at upgrading (again) to Electrocompaniet! Very good stuff and very scandinavian!

And by the way, the forums here is not rendered correctly in the Opera browser. Can't read first posy on a page. Any chance of getting this fixed, as you are in charge of the techie bits? :)

TR

John Duncan

roten:JohnDuncan:roten:

Many on eBay

emotion-5.gif

I guess I should, but the Arcam was just too good not to buy.

I am now looking at upgrading (again) to Electrocompaniet! Very good stuff and very scandinavian!

And by the way, the forums here is not rendered correctly in the Opera browser. Can't read first posy on a page. Any chance of getting this fixed, as you are in charge of the techie bits? :)

TR

Electrocompaniet are Scandinavian? I always had them down as French (d'oh). And there is every chance that it'll be fixed, though timescales are....undecided. In the interim, I'd suggest a proper browser...
emotion-5.gif

(And for those watching and scratching their heads, roten and I have worked together in the past. Great guy, despite his Arcam collection
emotion-5.gif
)

idc

kikkie:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Oehlback interlinks?

I have an Oehlbach USB and it made no difference from a stock unbranded one. There is not much on Oehlbach here and the few reviews that What Hifi have done have not been favourable, mainly due to a lack of detail for the price.

There have been recent rave reviews by forum memebers for two cables off ebay. Search 'silver high breed' and 'superb audio interconnects'. Of the better known brands Chord is very popular.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts