CD and DVD Playback on Panasonic DMP-BD80?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just purchased a Panasonic L37V10, very impressed with the SD pictures but want to make the jump to Blu-Ray. I'm considering the Panasonic DMP-BD80 which seems to get a great review.

However, I currently own an Arcam DV88 Plus which I use for DVD and CD playback and was wondering if I should ditch it and just use the DMP-BD80 for everything?

Would be very greatful for any expert opinions on how CD/DVD playback from the DMP-BD80 would compare to my current setup, has technology moved on significantly since the DV88?

I should point out that I really rate the CD playback of the DV88 and have never tried the Component Video (PAL progressive), although I now could on my new tele.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
iain22:
I've just purchased a Panasonic L37V10, very impressed with the SD pictures but want to make the jump to Blu-Ray. I'm considering the Panasonic DMP-BD80 which seems to get a great review.

However, I currently own an Arcam DV88 Plus which I use for DVD and CD playback and was wondering if I should ditch it and just use the DMP-BD80 for everything?

Would be very greatful for any expert opinions on how CD/DVD playback from the DMP-BD80 would compare to my current setup, has technology moved on significantly since the DV88?

I should point out that I really rate the CD playback of the DV88 and have never tried the Component Video (PAL progressive), although I now could on my new tele.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I doubt the Pana will touch your Arcam for cd playback. What is the most important to you? What amp/receiver do you have? The Arcam with component will be very good for dvd but the Pana will blow it away.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I suspect the Arcam will be better than the Pana BD80 for CD playback, given Arcam's hi-fi heritage and focus on music performance. The DMP-BD80 is a terrific Blu-ray player, and good with DVD, but like most Blu-ray players it won't sound as good as a dedicated CD player.

If you really rate the Arcam for CD/DVD playback then I'd keep it, and perhaps add a more affordable Blu-ray player to your system such as the Panasonic DMP-BD60 or Sony BDP-S350 - the latter can be picked up for a snip.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your comments.

I have a Pioneer AX3 amp which does not have HDMI hence the reason I fancied the BD80 as it has multi channel analogue out which would let me take advantage of Hi-Def audio without upgrading my amp.

I guess from what you say that the Arcam should edge the BD80 for CD performance but maybe not DVD? I presume the image from the Arcams progressive component (upscaled by the TV?) won't match the upscaled picture from the BD80s HDMI?

I suppose the best thing to do is just compare them after I get the Blu-Ray player, I was just interested how the newest generation of mid-range Players would compare to an older higher-end player.... basically is newer always better??

Thanks again.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
iain22:
Thanks very much for your comments.

I have a Pioneer AX3 amp which does not have HDMI hence the reason I fancied the BD80 as it has multi channel analogue out which would let me take advantage of Hi-Def audio without upgrading my amp.

I guess from what you say that the Arcam should edge the BD80 for CD performance but maybe not DVD? I presume the image from the Arcams progressive component (upscaled by the TV?) won't match the upscaled picture from the BD80s HDMI?

I suppose the best thing to do is just compare them after I get the Blu-Ray player, I was just interested how the newest generation of mid-range Players would compare to an older higher-end player.... basically is newer always better??

Thanks again.

If you are ok about keeping the Arcam, get the Sony BDPS550 (£230ish). This has multi channel analogue for your older receiver. The upscaling on this is brilliant and BD awesome too. I have used mine for cds (with a DacMagic - another option) and it's up there with a £300-500 cd player. I used to have the Arcam FMJ DV27A which was superb for cd playback (it's a higher end model than the DV88) and dvd was nice too but no where near as good as the Sony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts