Cat damaged speakers :(

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi my cat has used my beloved ae109 speakers as a scratch post and has poked holes in the foam surrounds. What should i do? (apart from drop kick the cat out the window), i could not bring my self to selling them and if i was to by some new speakers i would still keep these. Is there any real way of repairing them and keeping the original sound? you can buy replacement foam surrounds however these are not the same as the original ae surrounds?

I've been looking at the kef iq5se as a possible second set of speakers, any opinions on these? i know they got great reviews, and would probably better suit the dimensions of my room, but how would they compare to the ae's? any other suggestions? i listen to mostly rock music, currently using,

Marantz pm6003, Dac magic, Onkyo ND-S1 ipod digital transfer,

Thanks.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
my cat did exactly the same thing to my 109s - left a small v shape cut in the foam suround of the speaker cone, no damage to the cone at all, that was like 10 years ago - never noticed any differnece to the sound and my tear has never got any bigger my dad still uses them on a regular basis their his main speakers. i wouldn't worry unless its really destroyed it and the cone is hangng off or the sound has changed dramatically - try ebay if you really feel the need -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-Foam-Surrounds-Acoustic-Energy-AE100-AE109-/360246350257?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item53e05b11b1

A

Anonymous

Hi again,

The sound from the speaker that took the damage has been affected to my ears, i can feel alot of air leaking from the two drivers that have taken the damage, AE dont make replacements for these anymore as far as i am aware.

Any ae experts out there? i can get hold of the mid and a bass driver out of a set of the ae120's that someone is breaking? would these fit the 109's? as far as i know the 120's were just the same as the 109's with an extra bass driver?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

know how ya feel my cats pretty much trashed my first speakers, some old monitors now im got some kef iq5se and they knock them over too being that the feet are rubbish and easly toppled.

A

Anonymous

How are the kef's? (when their upright) i'm interested in buying some as a second set for my room as the ae's are fussy on placement and i dont have the best shaped bedroom so would like to put them to the living room if i can get them repaired.

Again bit of a long shot but is there anyone who knows the inner workings of the 109's like i said i can get hold of the Mid and Bass driver out of an ae120. would be perfect if they are the same.

A

Anonymous

Theres a guy on ebay that sells new foam speaker surrounds for the AE speakers. Search AE2 and they will appear. He says he does other sizes for different speakers, so worth an ask I would say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts