Cat 6 and Sky+

fourforkshouse

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am about to move into a new home. It is pre-wired with Cat 6. Each room has a dual socket wih a telephone point and what looks like a coaxial socket.

Will that allow me to use my Sky+ box properly as I assume that I will need two co axial sockets ?

Thank you.

fourforkshouse

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I assumed and had been told by the estate agent that the satelitte wiring would connect to the Cat 6 wiring and carry the feed to the TV. What other use would I have for the wiring? Could it carry my Sonos music around the house?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fourforkshouse said:
I assumed and had been told by the estate agent that the satelitte wiring would connect to the Cat 6 wiring and carry the feed to the TV.   What other use would I have for the wiring?  Could it carry my Sonos music around the house?
Without knowing what kind of system has been installed, it's impossible to know what's wired up to what. Are the sockets not labelled? It doesn't matter either way, a sky box can't accept its satellite feeds through the Ethernet port, that's only used for online services, it has to be through the normal sockets (even if the satellite signal is being distributed around the house using cat 6, which is probably doable, the end connection to the sky box is still standard satellite cable), so if you don't have two satellite feeds, you're going to struggle.

And yes you can the cat 6 for any normal network usage, including Sonos, although it'll depend on what's at the central location that the network cables are wired back to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts